Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

ALBUM OF THE MONTH (FEB. 2013) - Adam & Eve

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

ALBUM OF THE MONTH (FEB. 2013) - Adam & Eve

Postby The Letter M » 03 Feb 2013, 23:59

Since no one else had started one yet, I figured I would, and go with one of my favorite latter-day TFK albums!

This album has a HUGE line-up and a great set of songs, particularly the long epics (when AREN'T they the best songs on a TFK album?).

I haven't spun this one in awhile but I recall enjoying it highly the last time I listened to it.

As a note for future AOTM threads, here's the albums left that we could do. I suggest a live or compilation album for March!
Back In The World Of Adventures
Instant Delivery
Meet The Flower Kings
Carpe Diem - Live In USA 2006
BetchaWannaDanceStoopid!!!
Édition Limitée Québec
The Road Back Home
Scanning The Greenhouse

-Marc.
The Letter M

Re: ALBUM OF THE MONTH (FEB. 2013) - Adam & Eve

Postby progtastic mate » 04 Feb 2013, 11:37

Good Choice. I had an operation last week and have been off my feet, but now have 2 weeks off work and can't drive for a week, so am going to have time to listen to some music.
I was going to pick a live album this month, so next month would be good. Don't forget Space Revolver from your list. When we have finished the 'proper' TFK albums we could try things like side projects - transatlantic, Karmachanic, AOM, so i think this thread can go on for some time - or we could just do it all again, listeneing to an album again isn't too big a chore is it?
Don't ask me, I'm just making it up as i go along
progtastic mate

Postby The Letter M » 04 Feb 2013, 12:35

progtastic mate wrote:Don't forget Space Revolver from your list. When we have finished the 'proper' TFK albums we could try things like side projects - transatlantic, Karmachanic, AOM, so i think this thread can go on for some time - or we could just do it all again, listeneing to an album again isn't too big a chore is it?

Thanks! And I went back and looked and Space Revolver was done last June. I double checked all the AOTM threads from the last couple pages just to be sure! :geek:

Also, there's enough TFK albums in my list above to last until October, so we could be doing TFK albums til year's end (if we decide to include a couple other things not listed above, like Fan Club CDs or other rare stuff).

As for albums after TFK? I'd like to cover side-projects/related-projects, anything from TA, to AOM and Karmakanic, to Tomas's solo stuff, 3WE, Roine's solo stuff, Flying Food Circus, Circus Brimstone, etc. etc. Plenty of albums for at least another two year's worth of AOTM threads!

-Marc.
The Letter M

Postby NotSteven » 04 Feb 2013, 17:07

Adam & Eve may be just about the only TFK album that fails to make my TFK Top 5. It's still a fantastic album; I could name several bands that I like who have never managed to make an album as good as this. It's just not as astounding as TFK's other albums. Most of the songs are really good, so the reason why A&E doesn't fully satisfy me must lie somewhere else (OK, I'm not a big fan of the title track, but I can live with it). I believe the main problem is the one I raised when discussing Unfold the Future: with three lead vocalists there's a bit too much stylistic diversity to make it as coherent an album as I would like, and it being a single CD album only highlights this. Having said that, A&E still is for the most part highly enjoyable - I even like A Vampire's View which, I gather, isn't everybody's cup of blood.

As for the album cover, it doesn't look like a TFK cover to me. I find it unattractive and off-putting.
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 04 Feb 2013, 20:36

Always loved this album. Of course, the epics are wonderful, but I've always enjoyed the three 'shorter' songs - certainly short by TFK standards: Cosmic Circus, Babylon and Starlight Man, all brilliant, imo. I've always liked Vampire's View too; to me it's maybe the closest TFK have got to theatre/opera. I enjoy every song in fact, though Timelines might be my least favourite. It was, at one time, my third favourite TFK album, and is still probably my favourite single disc TFK album. Oh yes, in one of those rare moments where I actually disagree with NotSteven, I really like the cover too!
Great album! 8-)
Chessman

Postby flowerkingsfan » 04 Feb 2013, 22:28

In addition to Cosmic Circus, Babylon & Starlight Man- noted above- we can't omit Love Supreme- a truly great epic. Driver's Seat is also well done, and The Blade of Cain is a fitting end to the CD. This album is very close to my heart, even if there are several tracks I don't listen to much. I don't mind the cover- it's betten imo than The Rainmaker.
flowerkingsfan

Postby wowie » 07 Feb 2013, 17:41

A&E is the most consistant TFK album, WITHOUT ANY DOUBT!!! WITHOUT!!!! :D

The title track .... is so so good!!!! double lead guitars, an amazing acoustic guitar section, wonderful lyrics, amazing drums and just listen to the bass in the first half of LOVE SOUPREME, you will be falling from your chair, better then on SEND A MESSAGE!!!
Then the next 2 tracks are a wonderful Genesis hint and an amazing soft and instrumental piece working together.
Then one of the most proggy songs together with RHYTHM OF THE SEA - VAMPIRES VIEW! THATS PROG!!!
The vocals are just so fine, GILDENLÖW FOR TFK!!!!
ADAM & EVE, the title track is maybe the most HEAVY tune tfk ever did with RUMBLE FISH TWIST. An amazing tune, amazing arranged and great great drums and everything. This rocks the hell into you!!!
Starlight man is a great working and very shiny tune.
Timelines, what a proggy start and finish and maybe on of the most tasty and "professional" songs they did, The midsection is so enjoyable/listenable - this song just shows that ADAM & EVE is a great great mix of the highest quality - it puts all kinds of extremes in all kinds of directions - and this with a consistency ---- LISTEN AGAIN!!!!
An remember, this album came dirctly behind UTF!
Adam & Eve (UTF and now Numbers) is the mark!!!

Drivers Seat, is a B longplayer. but the midsection and the end is A++!!!
Blade of Cain is totally in the tradition of Compassion and puts this style to a new level. Great great ending!!

So, maybe you see it, A&E is my absolute fave tfk album.
And i highly recommend it to all who dont think this is a superb 1a album, listen and listen again and compare to everything else!!!

You would be suprised how accessible this is for heavy rockers with jazz attitudes ;)

---

Dont get me wrong, i love chamber prog and more complex arrangements, but anyway, A&E is just so freaking good, in POWER, PRODUCTION, PLAYING, CONSISTENCY it surpasses all other albums!!!
Even the quantity of earworms is dangerously high ... i have to count but ... it deffinitely does not hit SWA or FP ... and also not Space Revolver ... still the hooks are there and much much more!!!

:D
enjoy (again)!
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Max Power » 08 Feb 2013, 15:03

I remember you wrote a theory about the hidden concept of A&E in the past Wowie, wicked!

A&E ; fantastic fantastic album. I recently got my driver's license, so automatically I celebrated with Drivers seat blasting through the stereo. A&E was my second TFK album and at the same time the album that made me sure about TFK being one of the best bands in the world. It's less diverse than Space Revolver, SWA, FP... but it has an amazing vibe. Love Supreme for instance, seems the ultimate anthem reflecting TFK's positive mission. Daniel...again awesome, there's not a PoS album that meant the same for me as his contributions to this band. It's as if all his talent falls into the right place when he's with Roine's gang. All songs are great, but the best are: Love Supreme, Babylon & Drivers seat.
Max Power

Postby projeKct » 09 Feb 2013, 04:13

I love this album!

5-stars songs: Love Supreme, Babylon, Adam & Eve
4-stars songs: Vampire's View, Drivers Seat, Blade Of Cain
3-stars songs: all the others......

Positive vibe all the way, stellar production (perfect sound), amazing rhythm section, great melodies...

In fact, thinking of it, this is the last TFK album (to this date) that contains 5-stars songs for me... :roll:
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Max Power » 10 Feb 2013, 12:16

Adam & Eve might be the greatest of the 2001-2012 era, but speaking of 5-stars songs I need to give credit to 'Monsters & Men'; maybe the best TFK track or at least one of the best :D
Max Power

Postby Kaipa » 11 Feb 2013, 07:51

In mine opinion it's one of the better albums alltough in the polls it was not allways that good received, but i think there are some very good songs on it and listen to it on a regular base.
Kaipa

Postby projeKct » 13 Feb 2013, 00:50

It's the worst TFK studio album, according to ProgArchives!

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=110

But it's one of the best... according to me!! :D
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 13 Feb 2013, 11:23

projeKct wrote:It's the worst TFK studio album, according to ProgArchives!

I wouldn't quite put it like that... can we say "the least best" instead?
NotSteven

Postby bassman » 14 Feb 2013, 04:06

I am loving this thread ,so naturally I listened to Adam & Eve tonight on my favorite stereo . What a great record ! :cool:
bassman

Postby projeKct » 15 Feb 2013, 04:08

NotSteven wrote:
projeKct wrote:It's the worst TFK studio album, according to ProgArchives!

I wouldn't quite put it like that... can we say "the least best" instead?

You're obviously right! ;)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Max Power » 15 Feb 2013, 20:11

Progarchives can be horribly wrong at times;

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5802

When you know too little about Death Metal I don't think you should rate/review this album... in fact it's Therion's best 8-)

I think too many people hold the term 'progressive' superficially, as if when a band doesn't draw a heavy influence from Floyd/Genesis it can't get 5 stars on PA.
Max Power

Postby NotSteven » 17 Feb 2013, 13:17

Max Power wrote:Progarchives can be horribly wrong at times --

Very true - and the same applies to practically everything there is, which is why I usually don't pay much attention to what other people like or dislike. Often enough have I discovered that some of my favourite albums are among those that are generally the most derided (or vice versa).
NotSteven

Postby Vermin » 18 Feb 2013, 06:02

[quote="NotSteven"][quote="Max Power"]Progarchives can be horribly wrong at times --

Very true - and the same applies to practically everything there is, which is why I usually don't pay much attention to what other people like or dislike.

+1!!

People make presumptions of your personality, just based on what kind of music you listen to.
Generally I'm sick of all damn stereotypes! People are sheep. You should understand my frustration, because I'm a taxi driver, and I hear all kind of ******** in my job. Once again there's hockey world championship tournament in May, and this whole country goes crazy, even though most of the best players don't even participate in it. People think it's abnormal, if you're a male, but you couldn't give a **** about that. I hate that f***ing lousy tournament! That's played way too often.

A bit of off-topic :D

I just came home from work. Been working over 60 hours within 7 days, I'm quite tired. Don't mind about bad language. One Somalian dude got seriously on my nerves. I may have had some violent thoughts... No, I'm not a maniac. Do I need therapy? Hopefully not. Should I stop now... and try to get some sleep? Four days off from work now!

End of the monologue.
Vermin

Postby Symfoon » 18 Feb 2013, 12:40

Vermin wrote:No, I'm not a maniac. Do I need therapy? Hopefully not. Should I stop now... and try to get some sleep? Four days off from work now!

I think listening to TFK for about 4 days should be more than enough therapy.... Doctor's orders!! ;)
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby Vermin » 18 Feb 2013, 16:09

Symfoon wrote:
Vermin wrote:No, I'm not a maniac. Do I need therapy? Hopefully not. Should I stop now... and try to get some sleep? Four days off from work now!

I think listening to TFK for about 4 days should be more than enough therapy.... Doctor's orders!! ;)

Lol, yeah, I suppose that's the best possible cure for this mental state.
Np. Banks of Eden/For the love of gold
Vermin

Postby bassman » 23 Feb 2013, 04:59

today is the 22nd of Feb . I some how find myself listening to the Album the month before I choose any other . Today Adam & Eve really made me realize how much I dig TFK . [its like i need to be reminded ] :cool:
bassman

Postby Bargamon » 24 Apr 2013, 18:51

This album over the years has climbed up the charts in my FK playlist. Glidenow's contribution we a nice flavor and the album flows.

The title track bought a raw dark power to the FK catalog I was not familiar with prior.

Great album!
Bargamon

Postby carlosb » 04 Oct 2016, 13:00

Last week, Ciruelo Cabral, the author of the CD cover Adam @ Eve, invited me very kindly to his house to discuss the components of The Flower Kings and music in general. It was a very interesting and emotional visit. I was excited.
There I bought a signed cover sheet of 33x48 cm2 in excellent quality. It has a www.dac-editions.com page where you can buy it.
Here you have an image:

By the way, for those who are big fans of TFK: there are two small details that were included at the last minute on a proposal from Roine.
Let's see who discovers ... In time, if no one finds out, I'll tell you.
carlosb

Postby projeKct » 05 Oct 2016, 01:58

Nice picture!

The resolution isn't the best, so I can only guess the "last minute additions"... but it would be the car key, and the Taj Mahal ?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby carlosb » 05 Oct 2016, 08:13

Right (how fast...).
carlosb

Postby projeKct » 05 Oct 2016, 11:53

By the way, almost 4 years after we started this Album of the month thread, Adam & Eve is STILL the "least best" TFK studio album, according to ProgArchives... and to Rateyourmusic.com

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=110
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/the_flower_kings

But it's STILL one of their best... according to me!! 8-)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Max Power » 06 Oct 2016, 14:42

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum ... 797&PN=445

When I first saw the TFK appreciation thread, it suddenly felt as they are the most loved band on the progarchives. Quite the contrast with a lot of the album reviews.
Max Power

Postby wowie » 12 Oct 2016, 13:06

its like love, many many people feel it, but just a few of them can talk it ;)
Thanks for the nice photo and story Carlos!!
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Return to The Flower Kings