Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

ALBUM OF THE MONTH (JUL. 2012) - Banks of Eden

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

ALBUM OF THE MONTH (JUL. 2012) - Banks of Eden

Postby progtastic mate » 02 Jul 2012, 16:11

Is it up to the usual standard, is it the best thing they have done in years or ever? Are you happy, are you disappointed?

The first new album in years must be a big deal.

What do you think?
Don't ask me, I'm just making it up as i go along
progtastic mate

Re: Album of the Month (July 2012) Banks of Eden

Postby wowie » 02 Jul 2012, 19:53

well, well, well
its great to see that they still got what a lot of bands dont have, the balls to do harmonics like gods!!!!
So this album is even with all the critic still such a great and marvelous album, it fullfills a lot more expectations then many other products of reality!!!! :D
They have also reached a very good balance between all elements right now, as good as Genesis or Mahavishnu!!!
Still there is some more room in advancing the song writing and give it more lyrical elements to it.
(But that sa problem since UTF and Love Soupreme or since always? TFK always tends to do more guitar solos or straight hard rock structures. Which is imho the weakest part in TFK. We should search some examples for that and the opposites - good thread idea!!! Keyword: AoM ---- well but imho, thats a general weakness concerns 80% of all musicians, specially men)
A bit back before "Alive on Planet Earth". You can also call it Garden of Dreams style. Or just imho the best that fits Genesis'vibes.
So thats what heavily jump in my eye when you see/listen to Banks of Eden and the last developments in the TFK camp and around (AoM, Karma, E&D).

So if you compare BoE to the other albums before TSONE, there is less quantity on BoE.
And from that quantity, not everthing is A or B material.
So i give the album (icl. the Bonus Disc) a B--.
(Without Bonus Disc: B-)

It reminds me a bit to the ambivalent feeling i had with the last Karmakanic release.
A bit to much rock, less lyrical symphonic prog or jazz.
So im talking very specific about the parts in the longplayer from 7:08-7:50 and 8:58-9:46.
Thats it!!! If the whole album would be just containing such stuff, that would be the hit for me. My fave parts beside the main harmonics in the longplayer (icl Track 5) and Track 2.
Not too much bombast, more lyrical playing!!! I would prefer that a lot more!!!

Anyway, im loving the soul vibe they getting in, reminds also to (HFMC) Rainmaker and Zappa. Great great great!!!!
Combine this soft dreamy flow and pounding fat soul style with a trippy symphonic jazz prog a la Genesis and im very sure TFK can do another masterpiece!!!! Even better then UTF or A&E!!!
Longplayer a bit more symhonic lyrical touch, Track 2 a better 2nd half, or a longer end after the 2nd part and another Track 3 and 4, it could already have been!!!

Track 3 (C+) is not that bad, the romeo and juliet line is wonderful, and its even quite proggy arranged.
But the pitchshift voice is some kind of "not working that much".
The problem is specially for me, i wokk a lots with vocal effects, and i hear a lot pitched voices.
So maybe i have a slight refusal here.

Track 4 (C) is too much straight and Beatles for me.

Felix is doing a fabulous job, the more i listen to it, the more i like the capabilities he created!!!
Fits perfectly!!!! A bit more odd rhythmic and gimmicks and his royal chair of prog is secure!!! ;)

I put it over PH and over TSONE. ...this album shows extreme potential, new ways!!! and has A class material on it, like PH and TSONE, even more. From the harmonics its even better then the first 3 TFK albums and as good as every other work, still not as much due to the lower song quantity. But the prog factor is lower.

In the end i also have to say it again and again, TRACK 2 (FOR THE LOVE OF GOLD) is so so good (well the first half).
Extremely good, and fits perfe4ctly to Kingdom of Heaven.
Do you hear the keyboard line that starts with 1:10 ... thats the Kingdom!!!!
And this great bombast part!!!! Could only listen to this!!!!!

What if our destiny is in the hand of fools?
IT IS, WE ARE ALL FOOLS- MORE OR LESS- so KEEP THE REVOLUTION GOING - PROG IT!!!!
Last edited by wowie on 13 Jul 2012, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Re: Album of the Month (July 2012) Banks of Eden

Postby Chessman » 03 Jul 2012, 19:11

Personally, I think it's a great album, especially considering the long lay off the band have had. If I have one slight complaint, it's simply that the album is too short! On the other hand, it's top quality. For me, the standout tracks are Numbers, For The Love Of Gold and Rising The Imperial, though the other two are pretty decent as well. The bonus tracks are certainly worth having, even though they are not as strong as the main album. The songs, as Wowie says, are definitely 'rockier' and more straightforward in composition, with hardly any experimentation or 'noodling' as some call it. Maybe Tomas's keyboards aren't as much in the mix as previous albums, and Hasse seems to sing less than normal - (Of course, he's just done his own solo album so may need to rest his throat) - on the other hand, Roine's playing is wonderful throughout with many solos spread over the album. To me, it's a leaner, more stripped-down sound, maybe closer to The Rainmaker in that respect than any other album. Felix has fitted in well, imo, and certainly seems confident when listening to him on the DVD.
All in all, I am highly delighted with Banks Of Eden and hope their next album isn't five years away!
:)
Chessman

Re: ALBUM OF THE MONTH (JUL. 2012) - Banks of Eden

Postby Kaipa » 04 Jul 2012, 06:20

I think it's a good album, and the first two bonus could have been on the main cd. I aggree that it is about 10 minutes to short although i am very happy with this release. And another album within 2 years sounds much better than 5 .
Kaipa

Postby Chessman » 05 Jul 2012, 18:27

Maybe they are 'testing the water' with this release, seeing if there is still much interest in the band. Now they know there is, their next release could be a major double album again. That would do nicely! :D
Chessman

Postby projeKct » 05 Jul 2012, 21:29

I love your theory, Chessman... 8-)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Kaipa » 06 Jul 2012, 06:10

I read somewhere that is was in the German charts at nr. 63. So i hope it sells well.
Kaipa

Postby Symfoon » 06 Jul 2012, 16:27

Kaipa wrote:I read somewhere that is was in the German charts at nr. 63. So i hope it sells well.

The Dutch alternative album chart has Banks of Eden listed as a new entry this week on Nr. 29!! :)

http://dutchcharts.nl/weekchart.asp?cat=aa
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby projeKct » 06 Jul 2012, 17:03

And maybe it will soon enter in the ProgArchives.com top 100 !

Currently at the 127th position according to this.
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Symfoon » 06 Jul 2012, 17:15

projeKct wrote:And maybe it will soon enter in the ProgArchives.com top 100 !

Currently at the 127th position according to this.

The Dutch entry is actually based on albumsales... How's that with progarchives is that one perhaps depending only
on just how many ProgNerds worldwide 'like' the album or also on something 'real' like actual sales/paid downloads :mrgreen:
Symfoon

Postby projeKct » 06 Jul 2012, 23:03

Yeah, I guess I wasn't talking about sales, but appreciation... As of now, it's the best album by TFK, according to ProgArchives rankings... but I suppose that's because it's new. We'll see... :roll:

131st position... :shock:
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby projeKct » 07 Jul 2012, 18:31

Now 97th on ProgArchives.com top albums...

Hurray!!! :D
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Chessman » 08 Jul 2012, 12:26

Unfortunately, on progarchives - one of my favourite sites - you tend to get the same old albums at the top. I like most of them, but even so, it would be nice to see some newer bands break into the top 5, or even top 10. This is how mythologies arise. People are told the 'old classics' are the best, and they tend to perpetuate that myth themselves. Music isn't a science, it's an expression of emotion and, imo, much of today's prog is easily as good as the old stuff. (Remember, I was a big fan back in the seventies, and still am a fan of the seventies stuff) so I like all eras of prog equally. Although Genesis are my favourite group of all time (though TFK are practically equal to them these days for me) and despite the fact I was a big Yes fan too, I do get tired of seeing Selling England By The Pound and Close To The Edge in the top two spots - which they very often are. For me, they are not even the best albums those bands did, though they are top albums of course.
Maybe the next generation will view things differently, and music will be just music, and 'new' will be granted a place at the top alongside 'old'. Here's hoping. ;)
Chessman

Postby projeKct » 08 Jul 2012, 14:32

Well, I understand your point of view...

You can also ask for a custom top albums on this site:

Modern prog top albums

So Banks of Eden is in the top 10 albums of 1994-2012 ;)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 08 Jul 2012, 15:35

As for the 'old classics', I couldn't agree more with Chessman (although I must say I don't share his optimism): once canonized, the so-called key albums of the genre are likely to remain on the top of these lists in perpetuity. Ideally, of course, 'every generation must define the past in its own terms', but more often than not this is just wishful thinking. Old classics will not get properly reevaluated; they have become sacrosanct, and I can't quite see future generations getting over these stumbling blocks. Even if they discover the genre through contemporary acts, the moment they delve into the murky past of prog, there are these monoliths to reckon with. Don't get me wrong, I like many of those classics very much indeed, but just like Chessman said, equally good albums (and maybe even some better ones) have appeared since the halcyon days of prog - sadly, there are quite a few of those who don't agree with this and flatly refuse to accept anything released after 1974.
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 08 Jul 2012, 20:13

NotSteven wrote:As for the 'old classics', I couldn't agree more with Chessman (although I must say I don't share his optimism): once canonized, the so-called key albums of the genre are likely to remain on the top of these lists in perpetuity. Ideally, of course, 'every generation must define the past in its own terms', but more often than not this is just wishful thinking. Old classics will not get properly reevaluated; they have become sacrosanct, and I can't quite see future generations getting over these stumbling blocks. Even if they discover the genre through contemporary acts, the moment they delve into the murky past of prog, there are these monoliths to reckon with. Don't get me wrong, I like many of those classics very much indeed, but just like Chessman said, equally good albums (and maybe even some better ones) have appeared since the halcyon days of prog - sadly, there are quite a few of those who don't agree with this and flatly refuse to accept anything released after 1974.

Sadly, you're right I think. Still, maybe in 50 yrs time or more, things might change a bit. Of course, by then, I dread to think how we'll be listening to music. Downloads will probaby be simply old museum curios, and there will be another way of purchasing and listening to music. And just think what grandparents 50 years from now will consider the 'old classics'. They'll be saying: 'modern music isn't like the old stuff. Back in my day, you had artists like Brittany Spears and The Black Eyed Peas. Now they knew how to sing properly and put on a show! :evil:
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 09 Jul 2012, 06:55

Chessman wrote:Still, maybe in 50 yrs time or more, things might change a bit. Of course, by then, I dread to think how we'll be listening to music. Downloads will probaby be simply old museum curios, and there will be another way of purchasing and listening to music.

The evolution of prog (and, perhaps, its fate, too) seems to be closely linked to the evolution of musical reproduction: the concept of an 'album' (not to mention the concept album) and the 'epics' (approximately the length of one side of a vinyl album), both of which are crucial defining elements of prog presentation, would be unimaginable without the advent of the vinyl LP; CD format has provided the genre with even more scope (lengthier epics and even more megalomaniacal concepts). Of course, 'concept downloads' may well substitute concept albums, but somehow I tend to think that the oncoming changes in how we consume and perceive our music will inevitably change the music, too. I'm afraid prog as we know it is so firmly rooted to the physical sound carriers that made it possible in the first place that it may not translate very well into the 'virtual formats' of the future, which would render it an anachronism as soon as the last CD pressing plant closes down.
NotSteven

Postby Symfoon » 09 Jul 2012, 13:31

NotSteven wrote:The evolution of prog (and, perhaps, its fate, too) seems to be closely linked to the evolution of musical reproduction: the concept of an 'album' (not to mention the concept album) and the 'epics' (approximately the length of one side of a vinyl album), both of which are crucial defining elements of prog presentation, would be unimaginable without the advent of the vinyl LP; CD format has provided the genre with even more scope (lengthier epics and even more megalomaniacal concepts). Of course, 'concept downloads' may well substitute concept albums

In this case of 'concept downloads'... i take it you are already aware of the fact they excist??. One of the major issues when Waters, Gilmour and
Mason were negotiating a new deal with EMI for distributing/selling Pink Floyd's catalogue about 2 years ago was that the bandmembers did not
wanted certain songs to be sold as 'separate downloadtracks' by EMI... So f.i. you still can't buy 'Money' as a separate track... if you want it you'll have
to download the complete 'concept' i.e. 'The Dark Side Of The Moon'... :mrgreen:
Symfoon

Postby NotSteven » 09 Jul 2012, 14:45

Symfoon wrote:In this case of 'concept downloads'... i take it you are already aware of the fact they excist?

Indeed I do, and although I heartily support the idea of trying to maintain the integrity of albums in the download age, I'm afraid such a practice will not become industry standard, and the album as a commodity will inevitably fade into obscurity.

As for musical creation being freed from the time constraits of physical sound carriers, I shudder to think what kind of monstrous prog epics the future generations will have to stomach, with the Transatlantics of tomorrow churning out tracks that last 13 hours, 2 weeks, maybe a couple of months...
NotSteven

Postby wowie » 10 Jul 2012, 16:50

Well, im a pretty young classic-prog fan (in relation to the average i think), im 30.
But there is also a new generation that likes prog, just my age, but not listening to lot of the classics. More metal or something completely different.

So im very aware of the very proggy modern movements here and there.
Equal if its more retro, more indie, more metal, more alternative or more electro or more jazz ...

So i think its extremely important to see in what age we are living in.
The RENAISSANCE'factor is getting bigger and bigger.
So the people and every culture has the possibility to scan the old ages for information and input.
That counts extremely for the last 100 years. So all the stuff that was coming up with the electric and jazz revolution from the 30s to the late 70s is very important and get still being analyzed by all of us.

So the genre mix back then was unique and it is also important to see how the genres and their fusion was put aside by other genres like electro and punk, disco ...
So the fusion was going more intop background again and the individual styles became the spot.
Not that there was absolutely no fusion. There is always change and fusion .. more or less.

So back then the fuion of symphonic, jazz, rock and experimental was extremey developed.

And so i think Genesis (from the 70s) is still one of the best (ideal) bands around, so i have absolutely no problem to have'em still in the TOP 5 of PROG lists.
TFk is the only band that comes close to the genius and quantity of Genesis and King Crimson.
But there are some bands today that do great great fusion, also with lots of symphonic experimental.
But there production and quantity and most important their IMAGE is not as big as the classics or the actual big bands like TFK, SB, DT ...

Genesis and KC still rules!!!!
And that not just the power to believe
;)
wowie

Postby wowie » 11 Jul 2012, 10:38

:D
Its like Aristoteles, even if there are great great philosophers in our time, the sum, style and genius of Aristoteles (for example) is still top notch!!!
wowie

Postby Max Power » 11 Jul 2012, 11:22

wowie wrote:But there is also a new generation that likes prog, just my age, but not listening to lot of the classics. More metal or something completely different.

Hmm, are you referring to me? :D Well, there might be some truth in it, guess my favorite genres are the P.I.M. (prog, indie & metal).
and yes I'm one of the crazy ones who listens more to modern prog than old prog, although there are a few selected 70's classics I hold very high:

1. Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
2. Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans
3. Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible Vol 3: You
4. Jethro Tull - Aqualung & Thick As A Brick
5. Caravan - In The land Of Grey And Pink
6. King Crimson - Red
7. Kraftwerk albums
8. Tangerine Dream - Phaedra & Rubycon
9. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here & Dark Side Of The Moon
10. Gentle Giant - Three Friends
11. Brian Eno - Music For Airports, Another Green World & Here Come The Warm Jets
12. Magma - Udu Wudu

wowie wrote::D
Its like Aristoteles, even if there are great great philosophers in our time, the sum, style and genius of Aristoteles (for example) is still top notch!!!

Hmm not so familiar with him, I usually see Plato as the big man here (The Republic is one of favorite books of all time!)
Max Power

Postby wowie » 11 Jul 2012, 11:43

well, Sokrates is King Crimson, Platon is Yes and Aristoteles Genesis ;)
wowie

Postby Chessman » 11 Jul 2012, 19:45

wowie wrote:well, Sokrates is King Crimson, Platon is Yes and Aristoteles Genesis ;)

So who is Brittany Spears?

:lol:
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 11 Jul 2012, 21:31

Chessman wrote:
wowie wrote:well, Sokrates is King Crimson, Platon is Yes and Aristoteles Genesis ;)

So who is Brittany Spears?
:lol:

Not one of the Stoics, for sure...
NotSteven

Postby wowie » 12 Jul 2012, 11:17

:D
wowie

Postby progtastic mate » 17 Jul 2012, 17:12

I'm not sure if I can get into a discussion about whether Brittany Spears is more stoic than Socrates.

But i really, really like this album. I'm still getting to know it, I've probably listened to it about 10 times now, but i am happy for it to flow over me. I like the songs on the bonus disc also. I think in time it will be shown to be one of the great TFK albums. Can't wait to see it live.
Don't ask me, I'm just making it up as i go along
progtastic mate

Postby Eileen » 17 Jul 2012, 22:10

I have listened to Banks of Eden (deluxe version) many times now and I love it! I always hate to pick out favorites as the whole CD is great, but my favorite song is "Rising the Imperial". I so hope they make it to the US on the tour. Anywhere would be great!
Eileen

Postby guitar hero » 20 Jul 2012, 13:28

Banks of Eden is for me the best theyve done.The musicianship is at a phenomenally high standard, the guitar work is magnificent.Ive given it 3 listenings so far.Disc one is better than disc 2 I think.Within their music I hear past influences,such as Yes ,Genesis, Mahavishnu Orchestra etc..But it carries the hallm,ark of being unmistakably Flowerkings.
Well worth the wait too but what makes it so good and accomplished ,is that they have been cutting their teeth with other bands and projects, so its not as if theyve been inactive.Cant wait for the gig.Holmfirth here we come! :D
guitar hero

Postby bassman » 06 Aug 2012, 02:59

Thanks for directions to this thread projeKct . I was wondering what y'all thought of BoE.
As for me ,I like it.It reminds me in some way of Aom..? [or maybe AoM reminds me of TFK] ?
I listened many times when I first got it ,then forgot about it until I started craving a listen [this weekend] .
It doesn't remind me of Rainmaker or any other record in particular .I think of it as another unique piece in the library . :cool:
bassman

Next

Return to The Flower Kings