Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

First concert seen- and notable concerts

General discussion about anything your heart desires

First concert seen- and notable concerts

Postby flowerkingsfan » 27 Jan 2015, 18:35

I thought I'd start a thread where people can share their first concert memory (mine was Jimi Hendrix June 7, 1970- with Mitch Mitchell on drums & Billy Cox on bass- 3 months before he died. Started with Spanish Castle Magic- some Band of Gypsies songs, the Star Spangled Banner, and a looooong version of Voodoo Chile Slight Return! Awesome!
And of course a notable concert was TFK live in Milwaukee (TSOAF tour)!!!!!
Anyone else want to chime in?
flowerkingsfan

Re: First concert seen- and notable concerts

Postby Kaipa » 29 Jan 2015, 13:23

flowerkingsfan wrote:I thought I'd start a thread where people can share their first concert memory (mine was Jimi Hendrix June 7, 1970- with Mitch Mitchell on drums & Billy Cox on bass- 3 months before he died. Started with Spanish Castle Magic- some Band of Gypsies songs, the Star Spangled Banner, and a looooong version of Voodoo Chile Slight Return! Awesome!
And of course a notable concert was TFK live in Milwaukee (TSOAF tour)!!!!!
Anyone else want to chime in?

One of mine first was Uriah Heep, the classic band with David Byron, Gary Thain and of course Ken Hensley.i guess 1975?
Kaipa

Postby flowerkingsfan » 29 Jan 2015, 17:23

I saw Uriah Heep's concert on that tour - Oct. 4, 1975!
flowerkingsfan

Postby Symfoon » 30 Jan 2015, 15:29

1)November 1974
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
2)April 1975
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
3)May 1975
Focus - Hamburger Concerto Tour
4)July 1975
Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer Tour
5)november 1975
Camel - Snowgoose Tour

Not a bad way to start your progconcert-career as a (very)young highschoolboy if you'll ask me?! ;)
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby Max Power » 30 Jan 2015, 21:43

There's something special about free concerts from time to time..

One of my favorite concerts of all time is still The Beatles Bootleg Band (tribute band off course). They played for free at the market in Bruges (that is right in front of the Belfort building aka the building someone jumps off in 'In Bruges'), like 5 minute walk from my house at the time. Our mayor announced them and when they came up the stage it felt like: they sounded like them, they acted like them, they even looked like the real Beatles. The thought crossed my mind; what if all the bandmembers are still alive and acted like they were their own tribute band? It sounds like typical Beatleshumor. When the concert just began we were with only 20 people or so standing before the stage, the market place felt pretty empty. Later when I turned around there were people as far as the eye could see. I thought entire Belgium was standing there all of a sudden, children were sitting on the buildings, it all felt sick!
Guy I was with had all booze in his bagpack, everyone couldn't understand; 'what how did you guys got drinks so quickly?' Man and the atmosphere, it was fantastic. To me just a perfect, perfect concert.

Other free stuff:
*Also at Bruges Monza and Red Zebra playing the same evening.
Monza was very emotional and powerful, much better than cd. That kind of magic vibe you don't want to be anywhere else in the world but here. Red Zebra known in Belgium especially for the song 'Can't live in a living room' seemed to change band members, choirs, kids, guests every song with a very entertaining guy on the microphone. Nicolas Delfosse, the local cdstore owner at the time - who was a previous member (cult moment for us cd/lp/etc collectors) - was suddenly announced ' for the chicks we brought Nicholas' while he was all getting shy. Great fun.

*Me and my girlfriend were going to London for a week, we hadn't slept since ages when we arrived , but right before checking in we went to see a Vivaldi gig for piano and violin. We could hardly stay awake, yet the performance was mesmerizing. My Girlfriend couldn't fight the tears, because she enjoyed it that much.

More stuff (non-free concerts :) ):
-Orange Goblin was a true eye-opener.
-Off course I also went nuts in seeing some of The Flower Kings in real person
-One of my earlier concerts was Zuco 103, very worldly I enjoyed it much back then.
-Janelle Monaé, my girlfriend's favorite concert of all time (this took place later than that Vivaldi gig). Also very entertaining!
-Kurt Vile, very emotional!
Max Power

Postby projeKct » 31 Jan 2015, 23:40

flowerkingsfan wrote:And of course a notable concert was TFK live in Milwaukee (TSOAF tour)!!!!!

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "TSOAF" stand for?? :roll:
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby flowerkingsfan » 03 Feb 2015, 00:39

Sorry, wrong initials - The Sum of No Evil tour... arrrgggh! :oops:
flowerkingsfan

Postby progtastic mate » 03 Feb 2015, 15:02

Unfold the future Tour in Rotherham was the first time i saw TFK, but really enjoyed the Holmfirth desolation Rose gig.
other noteables
Dream theater - Sheffield Octagon 2000
Rush - Hold your fire Tour (as seen on a Show of hands video) Birmingham NEC
Blues band - Brand Loyalty Tour 1981ish? Sheffield Lyceum
Hawkwind - Live 79 Sheffield City hall
Spock's Beard - the musician Leicester 2014, a tiny little place, but they rocked it
Ozzy Osbourn and Budgie Sheffield City Hall - 1980ish
Uriah Heep - Donnington 1981? (the year Status Quo headlined) I went to see hawkwind, but Uriah Heep stole the show

First concert - i think was hawlords 1978 at sheffield City hall when i was 13
Don't ask me, I'm just making it up as i go along
progtastic mate

Postby progster1 » 05 Feb 2015, 16:45

My first concert was Deep Purple after the release of "Machine Head" and "Made in Japan."That would have been in 1972 and I was 16 years old then.I remember wearing a neat mock denim suit and I carried an umberella- not quite the right gear! :)However I did have rather big hair. Venue was Sheffield City Hall,UK.Standout numbers were Child in time ,Smoke on the water and Highway Star, not to mention guitar and drum solo..Ian Gillans vocals were utterly outstanding.Richie Blackmore appeared to smash his guitar on the stage under strobe lighting at the end of his solo ,which was surreal.Did he really do that to his strat, or did he do a switch?It easily smashed into many pieces.At the time, I was horrified!Looking back it was a great concert to start with.

The support band? A heavy rock band called Byzantium.A lot people went to the bar and missed them-I stayed and glad I did- they were good.

It was at this concert first I heard the cry from the crowd, "Wally!!"-This tradition in the UK appears to go back a long time.
progster1

Postby Vermin » 07 Jul 2015, 01:19

I am not sure which was my first ROCK concert experience, but one of the first was Metropolis 2000 tour concert in Helsinki Ice Hall (March 24th, 2000), with Dream Theater and Spock's Beard. Back then I used to listen to mainly black metal and melodic death metal, but I had already been a Dream Theater fan for a couple of years. I hadn't heard of Spock's Beard before, and their music sounded too "happy" for my taste, but I got interested anyway, and bought their "V" album later that year.
Symphony X's album, which ironically has the same title and was released in the same year, made a much bigger impact to me, though.

Seeing finally Shadow Gallery live for the first time at ProgPower Europe 2013 in Baarlo (NED) could had been the biggest highlight, but they had technical problems during the set, which partly ruined the show. I also had problems with my back and I was extremely tired after a very long day, so it was quite painful to stand still and watch the show. Shadow Gallery isn't one of my biggest favourites anymore, but it's quite unlikely that I'll get a chance to see them live again, so I'm still a little disappointed that the whole festival trip didn't quite go as planned. Enchant was supposed to be one of the main acts in PPE 2013, but they cancelled, which also annoyed.

I've seen many concerts, and it's difficult to say which has been my best concert experience, but one has got to be Symphony X's live performance (they were SUPPORTING (!) Stratovarius :shock: ) in Helsinki Cultural House (March -03), when they played Accolade part I and II back to back. I was a huge S X fan, and back then I absolutely loved Accolade (part I).

(Damn, this forum runs so slowly, every time some connection issues when I visit here.)
(edit: The mobile version seems to work better)
Vermin

Postby Chessman » 07 Jul 2015, 20:58

Max Power wrote:There's something special about free concerts from time to time..

One of my favorite concerts of all time is still The Beatles Bootleg Band (tribute band off course). They played for free at the market in Bruges (that is right in front of the Belfort building aka the building someone jumps off in 'In Bruges'), like 5 minute walk from my house at the time. Our mayor announced them and when they came up the stage it felt like: they sounded like them, they acted like them, they even looked like the real Beatles. The thought crossed my mind; what if all the bandmembers are still alive and acted like they were their own tribute band? It sounds like typical Beatleshumor. When the concert just began we were with only 20 people or so standing before the stage, the market place felt pretty empty. Later when I turned around there were people as far as the eye could see. I thought entire Belgium was standing there all of a sudden, children were sitting on the buildings, it all felt sick!
Guy I was with had all booze in his bagpack, everyone couldn't understand; 'what how did you guys got drinks so quickly?' Man and the atmosphere, it was fantastic. To me just a perfect, perfect concert.

Other free stuff:
*Also at Bruges Monza and Red Zebra playing the same evening.
Monza was very emotional and powerful, much better than cd. That kind of magic vibe you don't want to be anywhere else in the world but here. Red Zebra known in Belgium especially for the song 'Can't live in a living room' seemed to change band members, choirs, kids, guests every song with a very entertaining guy on the microphone. Nicolas Delfosse, the local cdstore owner at the time - who was a previous member (cult moment for us cd/lp/etc collectors) - was suddenly announced ' for the chicks we brought Nicholas' while he was all getting shy. Great fun.

*Me and my girlfriend were going to London for a week, we hadn't slept since ages when we arrived , but right before checking in we went to see a Vivaldi gig for piano and violin. We could hardly stay awake, yet the performance was mesmerizing. My Girlfriend couldn't fight the tears, because she enjoyed it that much.

More stuff (non-free concerts :) ):
-Orange Goblin was a true eye-opener.
-Off course I also went nuts in seeing some of The Flower Kings in real person
-One of my earlier concerts was Zuco 103, very worldly I enjoyed it much back then.
-Janelle Monaé, my girlfriend's favorite concert of all time (this took place later than that Vivaldi gig). Also very entertaining!
-Kurt Vile, very emotional!

My sister danced with Paul McCartney, back in the sixties. I'm not sure if he asked her out or not. Wish she'd married him, we'd all have been rich now! :D
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 07 Jul 2015, 21:12

If I were prone to envy, threads like this would be an absolute pain to go through with my meagre gig-going history. Even my first concert was far from what one might call an auspicious occasion - three rather underwhelming Finnish groups in the local ice hall around 1976 (Hard Rock Sallinen, Dead End 5, Ronski & Exotic). Of course, back then there weren't too many gigs to attend at my neck of the woods, and I blame this sorry state of affairs for my becoming a predominantly record-listening music fan for the rest of my life.

Of course, I have witnessed some unforgettable gigs (and I mean 'unforgettable' in the truest dementia-defying sense). I'm not an avid gig-goer, as suggested above, and I would estimate the number of shows I have been to since that forgettable one in 1976 to be around 90. Nevertheless, I am proud and happy to say that the Flower Kings are among my three most-often-seen artists (ie. those that I've witnessed more than 5 times) and I'm very much looking (and listening) forward to there being more TFK shows for me in the future.
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby Max Power » 21 Sep 2015, 19:27

Might want to add;

This week I went to 'The Theater Equation' (Ayreon's Human Equation performed live!)
Starring: Marcela Bovio, Devon Graves, Heather Findlay, Irene Jansen, Magnus Ekwall, Anneke van Giersbergen, Jermain van der Bogt (Wudstik), James LaBrie, Eric Clayton, Mike Mills, Ed Warby, Jeroen Goossens, Johan van Stratum, Maaike Peterse, Ben Mathot, Marcel Coenen, Freek Gielen, Erik van Ittersum, Ruben Wijga, Joost van den Broek.

Man the choir they brought, love to see those people again.

Mindblowing!
A DVD release is very likely, this will be an instant buy!
Max Power

Return to Flower Power