Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

FUSION CORNER

General discussion about anything your heart desires

FUSION CORNER

Postby wowie » 02 May 2009, 09:08

This thread is for all fusion lovers!
Post your faves, the classics and gems and the new school, the fresh stuff!
I will post classics etc from time to time to keep this thing going ...

Some people think, fusion died like some people think prog died.
I think nothing died!
Prog and fusion is the basic of modern thinking!!
And you can find it everywhere!! In every style and culture.
Our time is a time of fusion, where all different cultures interact and share their information and passion.
Where a new global culture is born!
The worldmusic genre is always a good example for that process.
Jazz, rock, pop, electronic and all other classic styles doing crossovers with other styles and so you have a lot of fusion all around and much more progressive music then some think.

So we are not only talking about the classic fusion style a la JAZZ-ROCK but we will have a focus on that movement.

stay open and have fun!

The next days i will add a list with some fusion artists here.
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Re: FUSION CORNER

Postby wowie » 02 May 2009, 09:22

Here are the three i already posted in the old forum:

Terje Rypdals - Vossabrygg
An old fusion guitar hero. This album is pretty fesh and a good example what is possible these days.
A blending mix of jazz, electronic and ambient.
And a hommage to one of the classics: '******* Brew' by Miles Davis.
Vossa Brew!!
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=20615

Pat Metheny - The Way Up
Another guitar hero. After 30 years of up and downs, he presents this super fresh and awesome work.
Definitely a way up!! AWESOME!!
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=16228

This is a gem!
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7367
With collaboration of - Percy Jones (Brand-X) - Narrada Micheal Walden (Mahavishnu) - Phil Collins - Zakir Hussain (Shakti)
This should say all!!
Goes in the Brand X direction but a bit more vital, rock and atmosphere. AWESOME!!!
wowie

Postby wowie » 02 May 2009, 09:28

new one:
Christian McBride Band - Vertical Vision 2003
A homage to the whole fusion style.
One of the band that come very close to the genius and power of Weather Report!!
Just look at the setlist: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... fwxqealdae
Very balanced record and hi-def playing!! AWESOME!!
wowie

Postby Brad » 04 May 2009, 01:59

Bill Bruford's solo work, especially the first album with Allan Holdsworth is among my favorite fusion albums. I love everything by Pat Metheny Group - solo not so much. :D
Brad

Postby wowie » 15 May 2009, 08:47

Bruford is just timeless and a master of playing and writing music.
I also listen to his Earthworks projects from time to time. Goes heavy in the jazz direction but i think its also listenable for fusion lovers.
I have to check if i know his first solo work.

Todays pick:
Return To Forever "Romantic Warrior"
For some its also an end to an era, not only to RTF.
Where ******* Brew began with very free jazz, open for everything, RTF came along with a very specific fusion of rock and jazz and bringing the old definition of FUSION to an high end peak and early end.
This album is for many one of the best meltings of jazz and rock and one of RTFs most well known works.

But some people knew its not over, fusion is more then just jazz and rock.
Will be continued ...
wowie

Postby wowie » 03 Jun 2009, 11:53

So heres the list:
Adam Nitti
Jukkis Uotila Band
UZEB
Michael Manring
Tribal Tech
Koinonia
Kick the Cat
Ominox
Brand X
Karcius
Mörglbl Trio
Vital Information
Twin Lines Project
Crimson Jazz Trio
Alain Caron
Roger Glover
Backdoor
Soma
Cary DeNigris
Chris Juergensen
Surinder Sandhu
Gonzalo Rubalcaba
Barbara Dennerlein
Christian McBride Band
Freek Johnson
Larry Chaney
Craig Schoedler
Jeff Richman
Dalis Car
Dave LaRue
Free Radio
Dave Liebman
fonderia
Tunnels
The Intergalactic Maidenballet
Twangorama
Walkaway
Stuart Hamm
Louis Winsberg
Buell Neidlinger Quartet
Red Whale/Eric Lohrer/Open Air
David Patrois
Gordian Knot
Tryo
Edhels
Mike Valera
Joel Hoekstra
Praxis/Buckethead
Ive been in white
Spaced Out/Martin Maheux
Hirom Uehara
Satoshi Takino
Akira Jimbo
The ReAwakening
Dimension/Takashi Masuzaki
Fragile/Koichi Yabori
Trix
Prism
Tetsuo Sakurai
Power Job
Kazumi Watanabe
Paradox
Mitch Watkins
Casiopea
Mist Season
Michael Shrieve
Mark Stanley
Mark Turner
Five after four
Joe Farrell Quartet
Nguyen Le
David Sancious
Nova
The Magic Elf
Shpongle
Cooper Tisdale
Wayman Tisdale
Ozric Tentacles
Gotan Project
Nerve/Jojo Mayer
Mats & Morgan
Derek Sherinian
Planet X
7 for 4
Panzerballet
Niacin
Cab 2
Soft Works
Uncle Moes Space Ranch
The Jelly Jam
Liquid Tension Experiment

Some classics:
Allan Holdsworth, Mike Stern, Bob Berg, Vinnie Colaiuta, Tony MacAlpine, Virgil Donati, Randy Brecker, Anthony Jackson, Frank Gambale, Scott Henderson, Larry Coryell, Dennis Chambers, John Scofield, Wayne Krantz, Victor Wooten, Tony Levin, Jonas Hellborg and oc Jonas Reingold are always a check worth.

some more classics: Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Jeremy Steig, Tony Williams, Billy Cobham, Jean-Luc Ponty, Stanley Clarke, Jack DeJohnette, Miroslav Vitous, Alphonse Mouzon Jan Hammer, Volker Kriegel, Frank Zappa, Terje Rypdal, Steve Gadd, Herbie Hancock,Pekka Pohjola, George Duke, Dave Weckl, Carlos Santana, Bill Bruford, Pat Metheny, Steve Vai, Terry Bozzio, Jerry Goodman, Percy Jones, Jeff Beck, Al Di Meola, Ian Carr ...

Just to make sure that we know what we are talking about ;)
There are many more great artists who try to cross the borders and to fuse all kinds of stuff!
Be open, be prepared and love everything :)
FUSE
todays choice:
The Flower Kings "Unfold the Future Lim. Edt."
TFK are known for their fusion, including zappaesque elements, they contribute to their classic symphonic prog structures.
With the joining of Jonas Reingold and Zoltan Csörsz, it became a new level. Unfold the Future was released in 2002 and it
shows a lot of so called fusion elements in it. Its a double disc and it contains 2 long players around 23-30 minutes.
The Limited edition contains only one more track. Its an instrumental and very much that, what we call classic jazz-rock fusion.
In addition to that, its a free jam.And only for that one track, its worth to mention this album in all fusion corners.
Its just a wonderful ca 10 minute long, melodic but also fast and smooth and trippy and experimental and what else ...
HAVE A LISTEN, YOU FUSION FAN!! :)
But not only that track is glorious. UTF stands out in many ways and with a classic measure of critic, this album contains enough musical genius and quality of meaning that it deserves a very high ranking in the history of jazz, rock and prog music!!
Definitely a thing that can touch humans deepest surface.

A question that comes to ones mind after all that is, why isnt there more of such tfk fusion stuff. Well there is.
This is a pure instrumental album from tfk. And definitely a check worth for all fusion and prog lovers!!!!
A great instrumental live album!!

And there is of course Karmakanic. They deserve also a spot in the fusion circus.
Another time :)
wowie

Postby Max Power » 04 Jun 2009, 18:39

Romantic Warrior is such an incredible release!
and UTF has to be my favorite release ever! (I still haven't heard the bonus track :| )

I listened to mahavishnu orchestra - 'apocalypse' today
Great!

Image ^^
How about hmm Lykathea aflame - 'Elvenefris'
Would you describe this as fusion?
It's like egyptian death metal meets psychedelic stuff (opeth?) meets grindcore
A fusion of extremes :D
Max Power

Postby wowie » 05 Jun 2009, 09:20

How often youve listened to Apocalypse?
This album is still on of my absolute faves.
So lets do it this way, todays pick:
The Mahavishnu Orchestra "Apocalypse"
IMO the most outstanding fusion of rock, jazz and symphonic up to this day.
Im not really a fan of the first phase Mahavishnu. Those 13 minnute long tour de force on guitar and all other instruments was of course EXTREMELY HEAVY and good, but i always loved the soft things they produce and more the philosophy then the result. Like in Jeet Kune Do ;)
So my fave track from the first phase (up to '73), where there was not much of an symphonic touch in the orchestra, is "You Know You Know".

So i love the soft parts on Apocalypse and there are a few. But i dont think its to much like some say about "Smile of the Beyond".
Yes its a long intro and outro, if you can call it so. But this fusion of long heavy symphonic structures with jazz and rock structures was the goal.
Not a bit symphonic elements, but a balanced weight between symphonic and classic fusion. And i think the record is balanced. Its even a tick to hard imo.
Thats also a reason for the production of the even more soft and next album "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" with the magic Earth Ship and all n all not this long tour de force songs.

But back to the topic.
Apocalypse is one of the 2 very symphonic works from the Mahavishnu. There is one song that is totally symphonic (Wings of Karma) and one song with much of classic vocal and string arrangement (Smile of the Beyond). The opener is a wonderful, beautiful mix of romantic symphonic and an intriguing guitar solo - called "POWER OF LOVE"
This says it all!
Track 2 is a heavy one. A 14 minute song going in the direction of the first mahavishnu phase.
And the finish is a 21 minute long suite called "Hymn to him".
With very beautiful moments and amazing drumming of Narada Michael Walden. A bombastic and great epic instrumental track!
"The truth will set you free" from tfk reminds me heavy to this song and its atmospheres. Specially this one soft acoustic guitar moment.

Apocalypse by Mahavishnu Orchestra contains such a beauty and power, if you have luck, you can feel this great feeling that everything is connected and that life is just a wonderful and beautiful thing! Just a masterpiece and still actual art!!
DONT MISS IT!!

What Lykathea aflame belongs, i had a listen on YouTube and i think they have much metal elemnts in there. So it would be hard to put them in the first 10 rows of what i think is fusion. But there is a bit fusion in there. I cant tell you how much because i just listened to one song.
But this one had mainly metal elements in it.
But there are a lot Metal acts at the moment that make heavy crossovers with other stuff. Often old traditional music like here or european mid-age stuff and so on.
So there are some interesting metal acts who have a big fusion disposition.
Those who come to mind here are first those who play this new and trendy NuJazz /Metal-Jazz ...
LTE, Helborg, 7 for 4, Panzerballet
But those are just the first 10 row candidates in the perspective of classic fusion.
There are lot more metal artists with great crossover material.
wowie

Postby Hrolf » 05 Jun 2009, 17:59

I'm going to see an album launch by a band who, I think, falls into that category of music. I only heard the myspace samples, bu I LIKE it! It's a band from Montreal: Miriodor.
Check it out:
http://www.myspace.com/miriospace
http://miriodor.com/wp/
Miriodor is going to open for Van Der Graaf Generator for the Quebec Summer Festival, so I wish them a lot of success.

Also from Montreal, I think the 3rd album (Episodes) by Karcius is very strong and interesting. Production wise, it is much better than their previous two, who were really raw and cringy, which turned me off.

Enjoy!
Hrolf

Postby wowie » 12 Jun 2009, 09:50

I know Miriodors sound, they are cool!
Also had a listen to the new Karcius album. I like it very much!! But i loved them from the first few tones ive heard of them over their myspace!! Check them out you fusion lover, they are part of the magic canadian circle :mrgreen:
They are nearly as famous as the scandinavian circle :D arent they?

Sometimes its dull to repeat things, but i just have to say that there is so much happening at the moment.
The culture blossoms all over and i just hope that we can hold that level of peace and reformation the next years.
Maybe speed it up a bit at some points. ;)

Todays pick:
Peter Gabriel and Friends - "Big Blue Ball"
I use this album as a representation for Peter Gabriels works all over the years what belongs to bringing the cultures together.
(Is there some other way for a further process?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Blue_Ball
Here are some very interesting informations about the album. There are many known guests on the album like
Billy Cobham, Sinead O'Connor, Tim FInn, Natacha Atlas, Papa Wemba, Manu Katche and more.
And the album developed over a long period. 18 years.
It covers all kind of styles and all kinds of moods. Well produced and arranged: I give it a 7.5/10 because it has a lot, A LOT to say and the musicians skills and contributions are nothing more then 1a professional.

Peter Gabriel is best known for his outstanding pop songs like Sledgehammer or as the lead singer of early Genesis.
Some who follow the global culture movement and already lived in the 80s know that Peter Gabriel also has an important role in the worldmusic genre. As he performs regulary with his friends all over the world and involving all kinds of styles in his own music.
I just can say, hail to the global culture!!

FUSE THE CULTURES
ONE WORLD - ONE VOICE
PEACE
wowie

Postby Crimson1973 » 20 Jul 2009, 16:51

Exivious are a new prog/metal/fusion project that I have come to adore. The band consists of Tymon (guitar) and Robin Zielhorst (bass) of US progmetal band Cynic along with
Michel Nienhuis (guitar) and Stef Broks (drums) of dutch metal band Textures. Imagine an instrumental version of Cynic with a little more leaning towards jazz/fusion. Voila!
Music should go right through you, leave some of itself inside you and take some of you with it when it leaves
- Henry Threadgill
Crimson1973

Postby tullman » 21 Jul 2009, 14:45

Hrolf wrote:I'm going to see an album launch by a band who, I think, falls into that category of music. I only heard the myspace samples, bu I LIKE it! It's a band from Montreal: Miriodor.
Check it out:
http://www.myspace.com/miriospace
http://miriodor.com/wp/
Miriodor is going to open for Van Der Graaf Generator for the Quebec Summer Festival, so I wish them a lot of success.

Also from Montreal, I think the 3rd album (Episodes) by Karcius is very strong and interesting. Production wise, it is much better than their previous two, who were really raw and cringy, which turned me off.

Enjoy!

i recommaned their album recorded at the nearfest for miriodor also the band will apear at FMPM(Montreal's prog fest),where Three friends leOrme and Magenta will be featured
but if you love fusion from that part of the planet try to find any of the two albums by the band that goes by the name SLOCHE
http://www.sendspace.com/file/q78nk2 (download link is at the bottom of the page)

on this podcast you can hear a track from one of their two albums , remember that this band's CDs are extremely hard to find
tullman

Postby NotSteven » 23 Jul 2009, 11:08

Hrolf wrote:I'm going to see an album launch by a band who, I think, falls into that category of music. I only heard the myspace samples, bu I LIKE it! It's a band from Montreal: Miriodor.

Miriodor... highly recommended indeed! Funnily enough, I've never thought of them as a fusion band (but then again, I've never been good at categorizing music).
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby tullman » 23 Jul 2009, 15:33

Miriodor reminds me of old band by the name of happy the man,remember them....they categorize them also fusion though I always considored them prog instrumental
tullman

Postby Hrolf » 23 Jul 2009, 16:42

Miriodor is an eclectic blend of styles... though I think, from what I heard, that fusion (and prog) is prominent.

Thanks for the link, tullman, I will check it out as soon as I go back home. I have heard this band's name a couple of times, but never listened to their music. Happy the Man sounds interesting as well! Bleh...I'm too young to know these old bands :P I know, that's not a valid excuse, but meh. I tried.

Quebec has an interesting number of prog followers and performers, considering the number of people living here...
Hrolf

Postby NotSteven » 24 Jul 2009, 07:11

tullman wrote:Miriodor reminds me of old band by the name of happy the man,remember them...

Sure do... I've been a fan since I first heard Crafty Hands not long after it was first released. Never have thought them to be like Miriodor, though, but I guess the comparison makes sense all the same.
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby wowie » 26 Jul 2009, 10:13

MONTHLY PICK
Frank Zappa & Mothers of Invention (Roxy Group)
"Roxy & Elsewhere" 1974 LIVE

Well, some may say its much to late but here we go. Mr. Fusion, Mr. FREAK OUT
MR. FRANK ZAPPA
There is of course a lot to say about this person. So if youre really interested, i think you should check out his story and try to enlighten his bombastic and proggy discography. Just some short infos:
Zappa stands for 'leaving the boundaries' and 'hi-def proggy arrangements' and of course much more.
He fuses soul, pop, avant, rock, folk, classic, electronic, jazz and much more with such a brilliant and consistant style, it became an own trademark that counts still to the most proggiest and avantgarde things ever happened.

With this album, we are already in the middle phase of the Zappa discography. Some may say, its also his creative peak and maybe the lineup at that time is his best. The Studio album he released before this live album was Apostrophe, and it reached number 10 on the Billboard charts.
Roxy & Elsewhere reached place 27.

Before i say many more things, lets have a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqMK4R7XtXM (DVD trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gukg-TDo-hw (this has nothing big to do with the Roxy performance, but here you can see what it means to have no boundaries)
And anohter one from his concept work JOES GARAGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBQPkLuwy80

Heres a bit of Roxy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hki3nWzfRnY
Due to some right problems with the Roxy material, its not that easy to get hold of the rare video footage. But form time to time you can find one.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKHLAjTmJ1k

So if you like great challenging melodys and rhythms, with lots of twists but also with lot of atmosphere and entertainment, you definitely have to check Zappa! Here you will find some absolutely great tunes and never seen or heard things you cant do on stage anymore!!!

FREAK OUT!!!!

PS and for all watchmen out there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p3Ue3ncH3g (dont miss the related ones right)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e3I0iagWXU
wowie

Postby Crimson1973 » 28 Jul 2009, 15:30

Great pick, wowie! I love it!
Music should go right through you, leave some of itself inside you and take some of you with it when it leaves
- Henry Threadgill
Crimson1973

Postby wowie » 01 Aug 2009, 09:55

:D :D
wowie

Postby wowie » 23 Aug 2009, 12:30

So, today a actual gem:
Isotope "Perception of the Beholder"
This is ISOTOPE's second album. NO, not the Isotopes from the 70s (but there we also have to make a stop someday).
The new ones!!!
Formed by Sebastiaan Cornelissen someday between 1997 and 1999, since then they released 2 albums. This one is the second one.

And in add to this i can also recommend Sebastiaans first solo release:
"Aggressive Attack"

Mr. Cornelissen is a superb drummer and he also composes and mixes and and and ...
Have a look here: http://www.sebastiaancornelissen.com/bio.htm
He worked with lots of great musicians together: Lale Larsson, Gary Husband, Randy Brecker, Gary Willis
You can also download some bits!!

Here some tubes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzWJfDa9sEo& SUPER SMOOTH & DYNAMIC!! chop, chop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOahyYzyZjA& IMPROV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82tTl8qg ... re=related OMINOX

Heres a nice tube about the 2008 Lale Larson DVD featuring our beloved Jonas Reingold and also featuring Cornelissen (in back):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I7gjZTbUxI

So all in all i just can say, Cornelissen stands for superb productions and great fusion of old and new things to a very creative and hi-def thing!! MUST CHECK FOR ALL FUSION LOVERS AND DRuMMERS!!!
;)
wowie

Postby wowie » 23 Aug 2009, 15:32

wowie wrote:So, today a actual gem:
Isotope "Perception of the Beholder"
This is ISOTOPE's second album. NO, not the Isotopes from the 70s (but there we also have to make a stop someday).
The new ones!!!
Formed by Sebastiaan Cornelissen someday between 1997 and 1999, since then they released 2 albums. This one is the second one.

And in add to this i can also recommend Sebastiaans first solo release:
"Aggressive Attack"

Mr. Cornelissen is a superb drummer and he also composes and mixes and and and ...
Have a look here: http://www.sebastiaancornelissen.com/bio.htm
He worked with lots of great musicians together: Lale Larsson, Gary Husband, Randy Brecker, Gary Willis
You can also download some bits!!

Here some tubes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzWJfDa9sEo& SUPER SMOOTH & DYNAMIC!! chop, chop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOahyYzyZjA& IMPROV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82tTl8qg ... re=related OMINOX

Heres a nice tube about the 2008 Lale Larson DVD featuring our beloved Jonas Reingold and also featuring Cornelissen (in back):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I7gjZTbUxI

So all in all i just can say, Cornelissen stands for superb productions and great fusion of old and new things to a very creative and hi-def thing!! MUST CHECK FOR ALL FUSION LOVERS AND DRuMMERS!!!
;)

BTW i also had a listen to this EXIVIOUS album, and its a pretty good one!
If you listen to HARDER JAZZ+ROCK, definitely a check worth!!!
FANTASTIC SOUND AND VERY PROGGY ARRANGEMENTS.

Of course if you need some more melody, metal is never really the best choice.
And specially not jazz-metal. But for what you used to listen normally in that genre, Exivious are on a good edge.
STILL NO LTE COMPETITOR BUT, time will show ...

Anyone listend to ZEROESQUE ??
wowie

Postby wowie » 16 Jan 2010, 12:08

So after a long time...
Therefor you get two album picks today :D

First of all the classic. From one of the big fusion bands and one of Roine Stolts and Jonas Reingolds favorites
Weather Report "Heavy Weather"
This album is as important for the fusion history as ******* Brew or Inner Mounting Flame.
Weather Report are much more melodic and easylistening then what we know from freejazz or early day fusion a la Mahavishnu.
Still they have an absolute amazing interplay of highly regarded players. And maybe exactly that mix of masterful players creating beautiful melodies and rhythms which can be understand and enjoyed by more then the average jazz listener make them so special.
Weather Report makes very complex stuff very accessible with the right rhythm and tone selection.
Joe, Jaco and Wayne are just one of the most amzing trio ever played together!!!
Dont miss this evergreen!!!
A short note, one song on this record sounds like it could be a genesis tune!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifIDy0kE10Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1C9uXc9guU little cover

my fave Weather Report album is Black Market.
I just love this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThF63iql478
one of my all time faves!!!

So heres the next one, JADE WARRIOR
Also a classic - not so known but one of my faves too.
Their albums are not very consistant and pretty avant.
But they have lots of magic moments in their music. They have a symphonic depth i just know from Ant Phillips.
Go and dig this!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Xng6WmXHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiQm1yoMu9I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7licXr4Zsg
They fuse all kinds of stuff jazz, rock, folk, ethnic, e-music EVERYTHING!!!
This is very inspiring stuff!!!

Their last album was released 2008 and got pretty good reviews.
I can say there are again magic and very creative proggy things on it!!
http://sidsmith.blogspot.com/2008/06/ja ... r-now.html
And their sound is much more professional and not so avant.
I can highly recommend because its a great work of fusing prog-folk-jazz!!!
http://www.myspace.com/jadewarriormusic
Go to their mysapce and listen!! Specially "The Fool and his bride"!!!
Sad its just a excerpt, its getting very symphonic after that jazzy thing!
THIS IS HI-DEF FUSION!!!
True Love is also nice and 3AM got a bit KCesque style.
Journey is also beautiful!!!

So i can highly recommend many songs of JADE WARRIOR!!!!
They are very underrated, partwise!!! :D
wowie

Postby Little Joe » 16 Jan 2010, 16:36

wowie wrote:Weather Report makes very complex stuff very accessible with the right rhythm and tone selection.

Well said, Wowie!
wowie wrote:Joe, Jaco and Wayne are just one of the most amzing trio ever played together!!!

So true - yet, I would add Peter Erskine, to complete the quartet (although he didn't join until 1978). He may not be the most spectacular drummer, but I think he's got a wonderful, steady swing; and according to some experts, he's one of the best time keepers ever.
wowie wrote:my fave Weather Report album is Black Market.

Mine too.
wowie wrote:I just love this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThF63iql478
one of my all time faves!!!

Once more, our tastes overlap! A great tune. The saxophone theme is simply gorgeous - as is the tight rhythmic interplay.

Thanks for bringing Jade Warrior a bit more into focus. The more songs I hear of them, the more I like them.
Little Joe

Postby wowie » 17 Jan 2010, 12:42

:D
funny you say that with Peter E.
If i remember correctly, Roine likes him very much.
somehow i cant stand his style. I see his strenght and sometimes he puts out some amazing moves and arrangements!!
Something is missing for me, maybe the bombastic accentuation. Maybe he sounds to clean, machine like to me.

Its quite irritating that i like Marcus that much. Because he got some kind of similar style specially this machine like timing thing.
But somehow hes able to bring in more pop and accentuation.
If he would assimilate those quirky experimental jazz thing a bit more, a bit more dirt then he would BURN!! :D
He should listen to "Aisles of Plenty"!!!
wowie

Postby Little Joe » 17 Jan 2010, 13:33

Shame, you can't stand Peter E.'s style, Wowie! ;) I happen to like both him and Marcus, by the way.

How about Antonio Sanchez, then? What do you think of him? He's got this machine-like steadiness as well, but he's much busier. I've read somewhere, he's got the nickname "Octopus", because he can touch so many pads at the same time. I love his playing.
Little Joe

Postby wowie » 21 Jan 2010, 10:41

I JUST LOVE "THE WAY UP"
And Mr. Sanchez is definitely a factor which is responsible for it ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls0t1Sj29RY

btw i rated this album to the Numero Uno of the BEST ALBUMS OF THE LAST 10 YEARS!!!
right before UTF & A&E.

another btw
New Roland V-Drum!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gki0WDfL50g
wowie

Postby Little Joe » 21 Jan 2010, 21:53

wowie wrote:I JUST LOVE "THE WAY UP"
And Mr. Sanchez is definitely a factor which is responsible for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls0t1Sj29RY

btw i rated this album to the Numero Uno of the BEST ALBUMS OF THE LAST 10 YEARS!!!
right before UTF & A&E.

Great to hear that you love "The Way Up"! I love it just as much. :) For me it's a true masterpiece of Prog-Jazz.
We seem to have more favourites in common than I thought, Wowie! :o
Little Joe

Postby Little Joe » 21 Jan 2010, 22:42

wowie wrote:The Mahavishnu Orchestra "Apocalypse"
IMO the most outstanding fusion of rock, jazz and symphonic up to this day.

Once more, I agree with you!
wowie wrote:Apocalypse by Mahavishnu Orchestra contains such a beauty and power, if you have luck, you can feel this great feeling that everything is connected and that life is just a wonderful and beautiful thing!

I had this feeling last year, during my third or fourth listening to that album. It was like a musical revelation. Since then, I see John McLaughlin in a different light.
Little Joe

Postby projeKct » 22 Jan 2010, 00:05

wowie wrote:New Roland V-Drum!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gki0WDfL50g

Hey, this is cool !!

Do you think about buying this one??

I'm the owner of an "old" Roland TD-6 V-Drum... and it does the job...

But the 7 videos about this New ROLAND V-DRUMS TD-12KX are pretty amazing!

;)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby projeKct » 22 Jan 2010, 00:21

projeKct
Site Admin

Next

Return to Flower Power