Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

new Flower Kings album "Desolation Rose" (2013)

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

Re: new Flower Kings album "Desolation Rose" (2013)

Postby Basu » 18 Oct 2013, 13:44

Having a first spin of the new record as I write this.
Its always hard to make a judgement on the first spin.
But so far all the elements of a TFK records are there.

At the moment I listening to White tuxedos and get feeling of SWA records. (And that is good in my book)
Basu

Postby Max Power » 18 Oct 2013, 14:14

projeKct wrote:
Max Power wrote:This man is getting sceptical :|

What do you mean?

I hope I'm wrong, but this song seems to indicate that TFK is getting more an autopilot band than ever before. I'll wait for the full release before I'm gonna listen again.
Max Power

Postby progaor06 » 18 Oct 2013, 15:08

listneing now 2 cd limited edition all i can say is what i hear so far this is tfks best cd eva i mean eva this tops retropolis and swa so far lyrically and musically
progaor06

Postby wowie » 18 Oct 2013, 16:11

they just play more then they plan ;) i think
and thats since Adam & Eve ... i think.

which is not totally bad or makes it widely uncreative ... i think

it develops other strenghts. A bit more melodic felxibility, more band feeling and so a new way of creation, as well as new space for "experiments" other inputs (BoE shorts, new sounds/composers on PH n TSONE) and new song structures (PH) .... i just think ....

so i wouldnt say AUTOPILOT ... its just different and yes maby not that epic and trippy and full of stuff .... as you said more subtle, more stuff in the details maybe ... but somehow it also comes close to the genius style of Space Revolver (So the review is fitting here quite nice), just including another drummer, a different Roine, AoM, a new way of composing, BoE and PH ... :D
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Björn-Ola » 18 Oct 2013, 19:52

What!
You already got your cd?
I ordered mine from Jonas R.
That lazy *******!
Björn-Ola

Postby Basu » 19 Oct 2013, 07:52

I don't trust the mail....
So I went to Jonas and got mine.
No I'm trying to find enough time to really listen to the new record.
Still to early to give it a judgement.....
Basu

Postby Björn-Ola » 19 Oct 2013, 08:52

He is probaly buisy with important things, like spending quality time with his family or something like that.
I can wait. No, really, i can't wait, but its okay amyway.

A nice interview:
http://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/The ... olt/17634/
Björn-Ola

Postby projeKct » 19 Oct 2013, 20:05

[quote="**örn-Ola"]A nice interview:
http://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/The ... olt/17634/

Very informative, thanks! :)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby ultimatefab » 21 Oct 2013, 09:47

(sorry it's in french) : bon... je l'écoute depuis quelques jours... mes premières impressions sont loin d'être bonnes... Je suis assez déçu (comme je l'étais d'ailleurs de Banks Of Eden)... Ce n'est pas que l'album soit mauvais, non bien sur, il est très bon c'est sur mais je lui trouve des longueurs...bien longues ;-) Et puis j'ai vraiment du mal avec leur batteur qui est plus proche d'un Pat Mastelotto que d'un Marcus Liliquiest... sous entendu, il a une très bonne technique mais il ne groove pas et TFK sans groove c'est moins bien... Je trouve son jeu très envahissant et ces interminables descentes de toms sont fatiguantes pour mes oreilles.. Autre point négatif : ou est la basse fretless ??? Pas de groove, pas de fretless... ça manque ! Sinon oui tout le monde a l'air en forme mais le tout me semble poussif et il n'y a aucune prise de risque, aucune surprise, c'est juste un bon savoir faire et c'est déjà beaucoup bien sur...

Qu'en pensez vous ?
ultimatefab

Postby projeKct » 21 Oct 2013, 12:23

Here's ultimatefab's review, translated (by Google and me!)...

well ... I have listened to it for a few days ... my first impressions are far from good ... I'm pretty disappointed (as I was also by Banks Of Eden) ... It's not that the album is bad, of course not, it is very good, but I find it has very long lengths... ;) And I really struggled with their drummer which is closer to Pat Mastelotto than Marcus Liliquiest ... i.e. he has a very good technique but it does not groove and without groove TFK is less good... I find his playing very invasive and the endless fills of toms are tiresome to my ears .. Another negative point is : where is the fretless bass?? No groove, no fretless ... it lacks! Otherwise, yes everyone plays well but everything seems winded and there is no risk taking, no surprise, they know what to do and it's alright that way...

What do you think?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby nedkelly » 21 Oct 2013, 14:12

Are the piccies up there of the band??
nedkelly

Postby wowie » 21 Oct 2013, 16:24

thanks DUDE for the translation!! ;)

i think, this could also be a good sign .... ;)

i hope mine will await me tonight in my letterbox ...

@nedkelly
which pictures?
wowie

Postby progaor06 » 21 Oct 2013, 17:23

shut up people jesus christ those who hate this cd are nuts this is tfks best cd in there whole catalogue swa was my fave for over 8 years retroplis 2nd the lyrics r top notch music is top notch its very doomish style it matches music.

drummer keeps up also i love this dark approach period 2nd disc insturmental mostly i dont htink tfk will ever make cd that will top this for rest of there career i could be wrong unless its dark and political like this.
i love war and angst that turns into peace near end white tuxedos does that good going into resrrected judas

this cd is number 1 prog alblum in last 30 years yes close to edge doesnt even compare to this nor does rerlayer banks of eden sucked major balls compared to this banks of eden is my most least favorite cd by them along with space rtevolver yes space reovlver ish orrible lyrics r cheesy as hell
progaor06

Postby progaor06 » 21 Oct 2013, 17:25

admin hate this cd hers on drugs we need new admin period why anyone who does notl iek this cd needs to get new set of ears period or they r just against political notions or c d is to overtoned bout angels 1 of the 3 which imho is stupid reason why to not like cd
progaor06

Postby projeKct » 21 Oct 2013, 20:31

Hey, calm down progaor06,

First of all, I didn't make any comment concerning the new album (I did'nt received it, yet) so why do you accuse me of hating it?

Then, everyone has the right to express himself.

Finally, I can decide if I want to edit or delete any post here, that's my role. But I've never done that in 5 years... so please don't give me a reason to act this way now...

:?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby ultimatefab » 22 Oct 2013, 03:14

Don't get me wrong, I DO LOVE the Flower Kings ! Their music is an important part of my life since 2000. I think they written some masterpieces of music (SWA, Flower Power, Space Revolver, UTF, A&E, even Paradox Hotel !) and DESOLATION ROSE is of course a big piece of prog music but... not one of my favorit. In a way I prefer the second cd. More calm, more simple, more jam, more instrumental, better sound in my ears. Long live to the kings ! :-)
ultimatefab

Postby Björn-Ola » 22 Oct 2013, 09:17

At this point, I agree.
But its too early to give an opinion, I think it will grow.
Björn-Ola

Postby progtastic mate » 22 Oct 2013, 11:06

Just received my copy. It was waiting for me when i got home from work yesterday, which was a pleasant suprise. managed to listen to 3 songs so far. looking forward to getting to know it
Don't ask me, I'm just making it up as i go along
progtastic mate

Postby NotSteven » 22 Oct 2013, 15:57

Hello, everybody! I've been away for quite some time now and unfortunately missed much of the recent conversation, but I nevertheless thought I'd chip in to celebrate the arrival of the new TFK album and state the obvious, ie. that Desolation Rose sounds excellent to my biased fanboy ears. Those who are familiar with me probably already knew I'd say something to that effect (provided they still can remember me, after having been silent for so long) which of course makes this post wholly redundant - except maybe for the hellos and whatnot. There, I said it - now please carry on as if nothing out of the ordinary has happened...
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby Max Power » 22 Oct 2013, 19:54

NotSteven wrote:Hello, everybody! I've been away for quite some time now and unfortunately missed much of the recent conversation, but I nevertheless thought I'd chip in to celebrate the arrival of the new TFK album and state the obvious, ie. that Desolation Rose sounds excellent to my biased fanboy ears.

I expected something like this ;)

projeKct wrote:Here's ultimatefab's review, translated (by Google and me!)...

well ... I have listened to it for a few days ... my first impressions are far from good ... I'm pretty disappointed (as I was also by Banks Of Eden) ...

LOL for a minute I thought this was my review... from the future! Well let's hope not :D
Max Power

Great album!

Postby Jakerlund » 22 Oct 2013, 20:42

Hi all,

I got my Ltd. Edition October 16th and have been listening to the double cd for many times now.
First impression was that it didn't feel like one album, more like several songs since it's spread quite a bit between all songs and styles.
But the more i listen the more i get sucked into the album and like it more and more.
It doesn't have that direct impact as "Banks of Eden" but it keeps growing on you each time you listen,
Over all they play absolutely great and personally i think it's great how they've kind of moved on and stretched their borders a bit but at the same time kept the TFK DNA.
It's a wonderful album, and I have tickets for the Stockholm concert. :mrgreen:

I hope you like the album, i know i do!
Jakerlund

Postby projeKct » 23 Oct 2013, 03:10

I have received it yesterday, and have listened to it 2-3 times now. First impressions:
- Pretty heavy, almost metal stuff !
- I think that I love it more than Banks of Eden !
- It's very dense, so I know that I will need many more spins before I understand what's going on !
- I didn't even have time to listen to the bonus disc yet !

So I we'll be back in a few days to share my opinions with you...
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby wowie » 23 Oct 2013, 17:35

just imagine an EP containing
1. BadBeats
2. Psalm 2013
3. Burning Spears
4. Silent Graveyards

this would make TFK the new post-rock gods!!! :D
wowie

Postby flowerkingsfan » 23 Oct 2013, 17:56

I am jealous that so many have received the new album! I pre-ordered mine, but it is not supposed to be here till next week!
flowerkingsfan

Postby projeKct » 24 Oct 2013, 04:00

wowie wrote:just imagine an EP containing
1. BadBeats
2. Psalm 2013
3. Burning Spears
4. Silent Graveyards

this would make TFK the new post-rock gods!!! :D

Could you define "post-rock" please?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby wowie » 24 Oct 2013, 13:07

well that was the joke! :D
actual mainstream rock "=" post-rock "=" prog
Burning Spears is just a big kick in the *** of all those (mostly lame) instrumental "post-rock" bands ;)
but i already had test auditions for the EP and its still to much fusion, mostly talking about BadBeats :)
but the other songs are sounding very fresh/post-rock for the test audience - silent graveyards is even inde, in the first part, the second becomes screamo ;)

first(!) impressions:
still cant say which one of the main disc songs are my faves, as many have some parts that i dont like (at the moment), like M&M :D ....
Last Carnivor was the most intuitively surprising listen... (2gether with Burning Spears and Psalm 2013) ... and yes it reminds a bit to the greatness of THE WHIRLWIND.
Silent Masses is pretty good i think ....
i guess im not becoming a big fan of White Tuxedo, not because of the fx voice, which i like more then the one on BoE, but i dont like this rock and the end is kind of overblown speed straight rock .... the finish is quite nice but it doesnt save it for me.
Blood of Eden is nice ... kind of the ballad of the album ....
Sleeping Bones is also nice ... but contains strange guitar tone around the 2min and later once again.
Dark Fascist Skies, i love the beginning (first 0:48), its zappaesque genious!!
Some very fine n creative ideas spread over the whole album ... like the disharmonics on Silent Masses ...

some guitar tones (the heavy/dark ones) and orgel tones are kind of annoying and not working for me. As it tends in the direction of Sum of No Reason and i dont like that.
This is not heavy for me, this is .... i dont know, some kind of strange retro rock which tries to be heavy and dark, but for people who listen to more heavy metal (like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQVqWwLG ... 1Cv_njlB9P and this is already the lighter one)) this is kind of ... not working that good i think. At the beginning of DFS its hard on the edge i think and the only one were it really works for me (up to now) is Last Carnivor and the last 30 secs of White Tuxedo. The beginning (first 30secs) of The Rssurected Judas is again not working for me with that heavy tone.
Thats also why Hasses Magical Companion is not working for me. Those guitar tones are more straight retro rock then modern heavy rock.
So i have to think of DP, A&E, EtS and Daniel a lot ....

the sound is pretty nice i think ... the bass (incl the b-drum) is very present, i like that. The synths sounds great, now i know why they say CINEMATIC!
but now we come to Felix drumit sound which is kind of special .... already registered on BoE but there everything was so playful it wasnt a big problem.
But there was some weak tendency for Rising the Imperial. So now on DR, im not sure how much i like it, specially the snare and the toms .... specially in contrast to Marcus fabulous drum sound, which i soaked up the last days due to listening to M&M about 20 times or so ...

need some more listens (specially for Tower One ... which got a very lovely end .... and R. Judas which contains some very fine Hasse parts and refrains), actually im at the 6th ....
do you registered the broadway lines for hasse (on Silent Masses i think) .... thats also quite ... fascinating for me :D

overall rating i guess it lies around BoE for me...
Last edited by wowie on 24 Oct 2013, 16:55, edited 6 times in total.
wowie

Postby wowie » 24 Oct 2013, 14:17

just at the end of The Ressurected Judas, after the great great chorus line, there comes this rough guitar tone, before the good orgel (there is also the annoying orgel ... like on DFS) .... i dont get it!
HELP??!!
wowie

Postby Björn-Ola » 24 Oct 2013, 18:03

wowie wrote:just at the end of The Ressurected Judas, after the great great chorus line, there comes this rough guitar tone, before the good orgel (there is also the annoying orgel ... like on DFS) .... i dont get it!
HELP??!!

Its prog, its about doing the right things in the wrong way and the wrong things in the right way!
Björn-Ola

Postby projeKct » 24 Oct 2013, 20:39

I'm listening to the new album since 3 days, and it's getting better and better! 8-)

I think I really LOVE it. I cannot get tired of it, it's a good sign!

Far more catchy and groovy than Banks of Eden... Heavier also, but I think I needed that! :twisted:
Also, it's very concise, I think there's no boring moments whatsoever. Most of the tracks end with a nice twist!

Tower One -- is very good, I'm loving almost every detail of it. Strange opener, though.
Sleeping Bones -- nice 7/8 beat, pretty cool (and short) track
Desolation Road -- closer to classic TFK with a pop touch... but in 7/8 ;)
White Tuxedos -- it's different, it's very "Jonas", I'm loving it!! volume knob to the max!!
The Resurrected Judas -- the second half is superb!!! wow
Silent Masses -- similar to some Transatlantic stuff, I think I will need some more time for this one...
Last Carnivor -- HERE IT IS, MY FAVOURITE TRACK!!! (as of now) the guitar solo is out of this world, with the 5/8 strange background
Dark Fascist Skies -- good track, but again I will need more time to really appreciate (Sword of God style??)
Blood of Eden -- mmmm, I'm not in a ballad mood right now, so I should comment another time
Silent Graveyards -- very short ending, we're not used to that with TFK! very nice and emotional indeed!

So yes, I will listen to it again and again because 1) it's so good and 2) I think it can get even better with each listening!

:)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby progaor06 » 25 Oct 2013, 04:34

guys sorry for agreesivep ost i didn ot bother to read review was by someone else i thought admin here was bashing cd im stupid as heck i know i was drunk wasted still no excuse for my ignorance im truuly sorry for assuming projekt was bashing new cd no hard feelings im idiot now noone else

i should of been banned for my remark by not obthering to read whole post beofre jumping gun accusing of someone ears being dumb i love the cd alot but war over if someonel ieks cd ro not is stupid tfk preach bout peace harmony i go be idiot like this

once again if i offened anyone else here besides admin projekt i apologise for my rude lucidious comment
progaor06

PreviousNext

Return to The Flower Kings