Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

new Flower Kings album "Desolation Rose" (2013)

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

Re: new Flower Kings album "Desolation Rose" (2013)

Postby wowie » 25 Oct 2013, 11:03

@**örn-Ola
:D good try!!

well its just short in the beg and in the end of Resurrected Judas, so its not a big problem ;)
TRJ is definitely the higlight 2gether with Tower One i think....

[quote="projeKct"]I'm listening to the new album since 3 days, and it's getting better and better! 8-)

I think I really LOVE it. I cannot get tired of it, it's a good sign!

Far more catchy and groovy than Banks of Eden... Heavier also, but I think I needed that! :twisted:
Also, it's very concise, I think there's no boring moments whatsoever. Most of the tracks end with a nice twist!

Tower One -- is very good, I'm loving almost every detail of it. Strange opener, though.
Sleeping Bones -- nice 7/8 beat, pretty cool (and short) track
Desolation Road -- closer to classic TFK with a pop touch... but in 7/8 ;)
White Tuxedos -- it's different, it's very "Jonas", I'm loving it!! volume knob to the max!!
The Resurrected Judas -- the second half is superb!!! wow
Silent Masses -- similar to some Transatlantic stuff, I think I will need some more time for this one...
Last Carnivor -- HERE IT IS, MY FAVOURITE TRACK!!! (as of now) the guitar solo is out of this world, with the 5/8 strange background
Dark Fascist Skies -- good track, but again I will need more time to really appreciate (Sword of God style??)
Blood of Eden -- mmmm, I'm not in a ballad mood right now, so I should comment another time
Silent Graveyards -- very short ending, we're not used to that with TFK! very nice and emotional indeed!

So yes, I will listen to it again and again because 1) it's so good and 2) I think it can get even better with each listening!

:)

yeah White Tuxedo (first half) is somehow Jonas style, like the shorter tracks by Karmakaniac. Somehow i dont like those ones ..... doggy dog or what they sing?
Not overall, its just this rock melody vocal parts .... i cant stand with my experimental idealistic viewpoint ;)

The bass all around and specially on Silent Masses is gorgeous!
Great new melodys and rhythms!!!! All those disharmonics, i wonder where they come from ....

Runaway Train from the Bonus disc is quite good and very interesting...
Its pretty close to a Tranatlantic or Spocks Beard song, just except the middle section which is just so so good and where tfk is so so good in (like Psalm 2013 or the whole Burning Spears, the mid section (start at 2:36) of Last Carnivor, or BadBeats starting at 3:05, i so so love it!!!! - what a great sensitive, proggy and melodic shifting palying). Thats also why i say TFk is the best fusion band out there!!!!
Spocks Beard also did it with Open wide the flood gates pt1 second half .... i miss this kind of style on the main disc a bit .... there should be more of this kind of instrumental!!!! All over the world!!! ;)
but of course THATS the problem, to combine the soft and the hard edges .... and thats why i love A&E that much :D

back to topic...
as i said, there are some very creative parts here and there, like on Tower One at 4:30 .... great great!!!
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Björn-Ola » 25 Oct 2013, 19:42

Now I finally decided! It is a great album. What a relief! I was nervous about it. I was not sure in the beginning.
Björn-Ola

Postby projeKct » 25 Oct 2013, 23:20

In short, I think that Desolation Rose is my favourite TFK album since Adam & Eve! :o

That means it is excellent!! 8-)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby bassman » 26 Oct 2013, 01:58

wow ,took a while to read this thread . I did get my cd from RR ,arrived last Monday . 2 listens so far . Nothing jumped out other than its easier to hear the bass guitar than on BoE or AoM records . Makes me laugh when I think back to my first couple listens to PH ,I wasn't impressed ,now I love PH . Maybe D R needs more time for me . :cool:
bassman

Postby wowie » 26 Oct 2013, 13:17

review:
wow!!! wow!!! wow!!!

my playorder:
1. The Final ERA (B+)
2. Silent Masses (A-)
3. Last Carnivor (A-)
4. Blood of Eden (B)
5. Desolation Rose (A-)
6. Tower ONE (B+)
7. BadBeats (A)
8. Runaway Train (B+)
9. The Resurrected Judas (A)
10. Psalm 2013 (A)
11. Burning Spears (A+)
12. Silent Graveyards (A)

Bonus Songs
1. Interstellar Visitations (A)
2. Dark Fascist Skies (?)
3. Sleeping Bones (B-)

More Bonus Songs
4. White Tuxedos (:C)
5. Lazy Monkey (B-)
6. The Wailing Wall (B)

:D

details later ... this album made the year!!! ;)

btw
sound is excellent but
i have a bit more bass ( -200 Hz) a bit down at the mid (300 - 600 Hz) and a bit up (12 kHz to end) - just wonderfull!!! :D
try for a bit more overall pressure and more presence for the snare and the cymbals ...
Last edited by wowie on 30 Oct 2013, 13:32, edited 2 times in total.
wowie

Postby projeKct » 26 Oct 2013, 14:56

Here are my (early) song ratings, after about 10 spins of the new album.
All ratings are /5: 2 means good, 3 means very good, 4 means excellent, 5 means perfect!

Tower ONE - 4.5
Sleeping Bones - 4
Desolation Road - 4
White Tuxedos - 4.5
The Resurrected Judas - 4.5
Silent Masses - 4
Last Carnivor - 5
Dark Fascist Skies - 3.5
Blood Of Eden - 3
Silent Graveyards - 4

Main album weighted average: 4.25 (so more than excellent!!)

Runaway Train - 2.5
Interstellar Visitations - 3.5
Lazy Monkey - 2
Psalm 2013 - 3
The Wailing Wall - 3.5
BadBeats - 3.5
Burning Spears - 3.5
The Final Era - 3

Bonus disc weighted average: 3.25 (so very good+)

Btw, it's strange that the last two albums are the only ones with no instrumental tracks (aside from bonus material)...
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Björn-Ola » 26 Oct 2013, 19:27

I found a boring moment in Tower One from 5:42 to 5:53! :twisted:

Well, as a swede, I always have to find something to complain about.
This time it was really hard.
Björn-Ola

Postby projeKct » 26 Oct 2013, 20:58

[quote="**örn-Ola"]I found a boring moment in Tower One from 5:42 to 5:53! :twisted:

Well, as a swede, I always have to find something to complain about.
This time it was really hard.

That's very funny!! :D

(But I don't know what's boring about this 10 seconds bit...) :?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby bassman » 27 Oct 2013, 03:18

third listen , was starting to open up for me.
[ I had to listen to the Rainmaker after , for a reference .]
Can't put my finger on it ... , but doesn't this record have a overall seriousness about it ? Musically ?
maybe what I am sensing is the "Darkness" they were after ? :cool: ?
bassman

Postby wowie » 28 Oct 2013, 17:52

im not quite sure... as darkness is very flexible theme. The lyrics are very critic ....
and there are some rough retro guitars and the bad organ and some yearning melodys here ... so yes this is kind of dark at points but not really i think.
Rainmaker is a bit darker/more yearning i think, at points ....

@**örn-Ola & projeKct

btw
i edited my "review" a bit.
If you play the songs in that order, its a complete different album ... with much more power and it comes much more shining ... its not as dark.
With the three bonus songs this would even fit on one record.

Interstellar Visitation is pretty good, so you can even put it on the main album. But it brings in a lot chillness so the power is broken then.
So it fits wonderful as a bonus song like Waiting for tomatoes on UTF.

projeKct, were pretty close with the rating i think .... so you have to change my playorder for White Tuxedos ;)
Psalm 2013 is better then Blood of Eden
badBeats is better then Dark Fascist Skies
Burning Spears is as min as good as BadBeats, but you know that
:D ;)

the song "Desolation road" is quite strong even with that ending :D .... the lyrics are so so strong!!
And it fits so so good behind blood of eden :D
those religious fanatics!

i will do a special mix with bridges for my playorder, so if anybody is interested just mail me.
imagine bridges between
9. The Resurrected Judas (A)
10. Psalm 2013 (A)
11. Burning Spears (A+)
12. Silent Graveyards (A)

wohoho, this is so so good!! i hope it will work...
wowie

Postby projeKct » 29 Oct 2013, 01:29

wowie wrote:projeKct, were pretty close with the rating i think .... so you have to change my playorder for White Tuxedos ;)
Psalm 2013 is better then Blood of Eden
badBeats is better then Dark Fascist Skies
Burning Spears is as min as good as BadBeats, but you know that
:D ;)

I'm not sure... what do you mean?
I know that our ratings are pretty close, but I don't know about the quote above...?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby FKYES » 29 Oct 2013, 03:53

Here is my review of the album that we just posted.

http://deliciousagony.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 4315#24315
FKYES

Postby wowie » 29 Oct 2013, 16:13

@projeKct
just kidding ... if you want to listen to it in my palyorder, you must integrate White Tuxedos - i mostly rate everything on the main disc like you with DFS and BoE as the lowest, just White Tuxedos is kind of different.
And i rate some bonus songs (the ones youve quoted and Runaway Train, which got a wonderful mid section, a very positive tune, not that far away from SM and LC) a bit higher then you.
BadBeats (specially the sec half) is maybe the best instrumental part on that album.
Burning Spears is just so untypically and specially because of the frsh lehrmann input i think, but the gebnius thing about it isnt just the gorgeous working post-rock structure for tfk, its also the fabulous amazing guitar melody by roine!!!! so so good!!!
And psalm is of course just beautiful, so so lovely synth work!!

im already done with the remix, and the bridges work great!!!
wowie

Postby projeKct » 30 Oct 2013, 02:20

Well, I guess you're right... I was listening to the bonus disc today (several times), and it is seriously growing on me...

Especially Interstellar Visitations, The Wailing Wall, BadBeats and Burning Spears !!! :o
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby wowie » 30 Oct 2013, 13:30

@bassman
you are right, its quite "dark" ... as there is really a lot of sadness and other stuff in the melodys. its yearning and even disillusioning.
i like it, could be more :D

on the other side, its an extremly powerfull album maybe the most rockin one .... which is no endorsement ...

somehow i have to think of James Bond a lot.
Sleeping Bones, DFS and DR are all containing some James Bond atmospheres ... i like that too
wowie

Postby bassman » 31 Oct 2013, 03:04

wow ,the last few listens are really starting to make sense . Maybe I was in a funk when I first listened ? , or maybe I'm slow to catch on ? Now I have a few favorites . All from the bonus disc :)
trac 1 and 3 and BadBeats :cool:
bassman

Postby EricBliss12345 » 31 Oct 2013, 05:43

Another one? Ok. So far I like White Tuxedos best. :D
EricBliss12345

Postby EricBliss12345 » 31 Oct 2013, 06:20

Resurrected Judas is nevermind. **** some nice stuff on this.
EricBliss12345

Postby KirksNoseHair » 04 Nov 2013, 14:35

Just stopped by to offer my kudos to the band for another great release. I'm really enjoying the new album a lot!
KirksNoseHair

Postby wowie » 04 Nov 2013, 17:07

does "nevermind" means something like good or the opposite? :)

well, i love the acoustic guitar - as i always said, we need more acoustic guitar stuff!!!!! it always sounds beautiful with tfk and specially with Tomas synth and Jonas bass.
The melody and the end of TRJ is the high point on the album i think. Very rough and strong that they end it so abrupt.
wowie

Postby flowerkingsfan » 04 Nov 2013, 18:59

Finally got my copy last week- and after several listens, I really think this is the best TFK release in a long time! I could rate each song, but others have done that here, there's no need for mine. I will say that my five favourites in order are: Dark Fascist Skies, White Tuxedos, Last Carnivore, Desolation Road and Tower ONE. Felix has some killer drums on this, and for going into the studio with not much in mind beforehand, the output is tremendous!
flowerkingsfan

Postby nedkelly » 13 Nov 2013, 21:49

:D I'm curious.....this would be the 1st FK album I get :):)
nedkelly

Postby Chessman » 13 Nov 2013, 22:07

nedkelly wrote::D I'm curious.....this would be the 1st FK album I get :):)

Hi Nedkelly! Welcome to the forum! I take it you've heard songs by TFK before? Well all their albums are superb so you can't go wrong. Try to listen to some samples first, though to be honest, samples don't do music of this depth and quality much justice. Just buy the album and you'll love it. And if you like this one, you'll like them all, I guarantee it! ;)
Chessman

Postby Max Power » 16 Nov 2013, 21:16

Bought the new album the same day as the new Arcade Fire, was I in for a surprise 8-)
Desolation Rose sounds more daring and exciting than Banks of Eden, as if that album was just a prologue to the next chapter. In fact as the songs seem to work as one, this album reminds more of The Whirlwind!! ( :o !!). Looking at the songs separately you'll detect there are some really short ones, almost feeling as unfinished as if Roine is holding parts of the story back leaving you mezmerized in Desolation Rose's enigmatic glow!

:translation:

The Kings Are Back!!
Max Power

Postby wowie » 17 Nov 2013, 13:04

anybody else thinks that Felix is pretty close to Collins/Thompson???
wowie

Postby Symfoon » 18 Nov 2013, 15:49

wowie wrote:anybody else thinks that Felix is pretty close to Collins/Thompson???

NO!!... Imho Felix' drumsound is much to 'average' for that, i could pick Collins and Thompson out
of almost any recording they ever did... Felix doesn't have a sound (yet?) that sounds like 'him' - for now
he could be any drummer from any good prog-band you can come up with. I must admit though that at least
he sounds better (recordingwise) than on the Banks of Eden album but i guess that has to do with the
fact this album was also recorded in a different studio than Banks of Eden.
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 18 Nov 2013, 18:09

i dont mean specifically the drum sound .... but anyway, i think he also sounds some kind of wet on the snare like collins did ... and the light n natural sound is also pretty close i think which is also due to the style he plays.
but i dont think he has an average sound .... but i also dont think he has the best sound at the moment, specially his toms and his snare. but his cymbals n bassdrum are fantastic and he uses them in a fantastic way. Collins had very much different toms but the rest is ... not that far away for me.

but i mostly talking about the "aggressive", floating, accented and versatile playing (the groove and the mix with the speed and the agility) and the style he uses, rock, jazz and soul ....
Collins did some more experimental moves and the specific jazz style (u also hear in the end of lady Lies) but Felix is still able to develop for that :D
hes still more soul here and less prog-jazz ....

so maybe hard to explain, maybe a sample will give more insight in my viewpoint
[youtube]i-WDQxlVzgE[/youtube]
imagine this played by felix, i think he would fit so so good!!!
definitley more then NDV ...

anybody, anybody?

another question would be, if not every drummer that goes into this specific direction and drumsound isnt sounding like Collins?
because there are not that much drumemrs who palys it like that. Another one that comes to my mind is Alex Acuna.
wowie

Postby projeKct » 19 Nov 2013, 03:58

The Lady Lies... it's been a long time since I've listened to this track!

In a sense, this track is similar to TFK with Felix... so you're surely right!

BUT... I don't think Felix is the best drummer TFK ever had.

He's excellent in is own (special!) way... but Jaime was also pretty amazing! and Zoltan (wow!!!) and Marcus (groovy!)

I think all four drummers were really outstanding. I would be very hesitant to name the best of them! :?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Symfoon » 19 Nov 2013, 11:29

projeKct wrote:The Lady Lies... it's been a long time since I've listened to this track!

In a sense, this track is similar to TFK with Felix... so you're surely right!

BUT... I don't think Felix is the best drummer TFK ever had.

He's excellent in is own (special!) way... but Jaime was also pretty amazing! and Zoltan (wow!!!) and Marcus (groovy!)

I think all four drummers were really outstanding. I would be very hesitant to name the best of them! :?

The best TFK drummer.... to fit in with TFK's music imho would be Jaime Salazar without a doubt... The best drummer
in terms of technical skills and sound etc. would be Zoltan Cszörs without a doubt... but in the end it is all about the music
isn't it...?? so i think i would choose Jaime Salazar as my all-time favourit TFK drummer for sure! :)
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 19 Nov 2013, 17:01

yeah same for me, i would not say Felix is the best at the moment, but he could be the best if Roine is coming back to a more symphonic composing .... :D

Jaime is the most succesful blend over a long time i think (as he had source and fantastic material to play on, this made tfk), Zoltan was only short and he had some weak parts with live and non-fusion things (cant find any other words)... but he played the hottest material we know and which is the bar for prog at the moment (UTF, EtS, WoL).
Marcus was a very fresh one and was a totally different approach then what anybody could imagine .... non-classic fusion with a very fat unexpected sound :D and now there is
Felix, who made some great work already which topped Marcus but the drumsound is kind of strange here and there and it is all very powerfull .... as the material is also different.

so the time they played and also for what compositions they played is important ....even reciprocal.
So all of them provided something different which i totally dont wanna miss in tfk .... but i specially wont miss SWA, FP, UTF and A&E .... but im very curious what will come next in the tfk catalog and if they will become more symphonic again .... if they really are trying to beat the mentioned masterpieces ....
wowie

PreviousNext

Return to The Flower Kings