Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

new Flower Kings album "Desolation Rose" (2013)

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

new Flower Kings album "Desolation Rose" (2013)

Postby projeKct » 05 Apr 2013, 13:30

Words from Master Stolt himself :

Fact is - working on this new album - my gut feel is that those of you who liked the weirdness interludes and the cinematic effects and ambiences will find this new album interesting.

I could be wrong - but it has some superspacy stoner droner jams that resembles Santanas Caravanserai and still plenty of catchy, classic symph prog and also somewhat heavy riffy sections.

The names Black Sabbath and Dimmu Borgir were both mentioned more than once in the studio but also Queen, Rush, James Bond and albums like Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother. That's our weird musical environment - but be aware that we are still in "construction mode" so these are all blueprints for what's to come - this album is still a shapeshifter - day by day.

It will however not be a double album - but if you like adventurous prog - and fearless genre bending - this may be it.

Roine.
projeKct
Site Admin

Re: some words about TFK next album (2013)

Postby Max Power » 07 Apr 2013, 19:12

From Facebook:
Q: Will the new material feature massive Mellotrons, Moogs, and Hammond Organs?
Tomas Bodin: Yes ofc And we will also have Grand Piano (Yamaha). Vox Jaguar and a lot of different synths!

A mixture of 'Master of Reality' & 'Stormblåst' could be nice actually.
Max Power

Postby projeKct » 07 Apr 2013, 19:33

Thanks for this info, as I don't have any Facebook account... :roll:
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Max Power » 08 Apr 2013, 11:53

Release date is expected to be sept/okt 2013.
Some pics (hope this works);

Max Power

Postby Symfoon » 09 Apr 2013, 10:08

Lets just wait and see for a while... there are still a lot of things that might change during the recordings. Personally i am not to keen
on jams being recorded on studio-albums.... because after a few times it get's boring. Jamming should be kept for live-performances
and should be improvised/spontanious (imho). I am quite surprised honestly that the band is returning to jamming (again) as it costed them quite
a lot of (prog)fans over the years which also could be seen in the crowds getting (much) smaller in attendance during the last few tours...
Caravansary is a great Santana album though... and if Roine could also get the new album to sound like that one that would be a major
improvement compared to the (sound)production of the last TFK and the AoM albums which sound really horrible to my ears :cry:
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby bassman » 10 Apr 2013, 02:57

Cant wait ! :cool:
bassman

Postby progtastic mate » 11 Apr 2013, 11:22

Thanks for this info as i also do not have (or want) a facebook account.

I don't know Dimmu Borgir - having looked at them on Wikipedia they seem a world away from TFK - but i haven't heard any of their music. I was a big sabbath fan back in the day, so i don't think that will be a bad influence. And of course anyone who has read anything i've posted over the years will know i have been obsessed with Rush since i was 15 years old ( that's since permanent waves over 30 years ago) so never a bad thing to be influenced by Rush. Roine said that we in the UK didn't like 'Heavy Prog' - i think he may have been mistaken.

I have enjoyed the less jam based performances recently - but i think a long gap between albums and tours may have contributed to a diminished audiance. I guess it is up to us to fly the flag for the music, i get so much enjoyment from the music that i want to share it.

Lets hope the new album is another progression for the band and that they continue to tour and build up their profile
Don't ask me, I'm just making it up as i go along
progtastic mate

Postby Max Power » 11 Apr 2013, 18:06

Not sure if the Dimmu Borgir thing is a joke or not, they are pretty mocked in metal for their later work. The first 2 albums are decent though. 'In the nightside eclipse' by Emperor is a key album in this dark symphonic style.
Max Power

Postby progaor06 » 16 Apr 2013, 14:51

dimmu borgir is not band prog fans want to get into unless your symphonic metal junkie like i am the viocals r extreme black metal i mean black metal they r satanic or act like they r there videos r very grotesque so if your religious avoid band at all costs im christian i shy away from them i have urge here n there to hear one cd by them but thats bout it
progaor06

Postby Symfoon » 18 Apr 2013, 11:29

Hehehehe...

i always have to laugh a bit when i see geezers like this and this even looks a bit o.k. because of the orchestra! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdEVT0NqLWk

fact is that they do draw larger crowds to their shows than TFK... :mrgreen:

Dimmu Borgir btw means something like Dark Castle in the Norwegian language if i got it right?
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 22 May 2013, 16:32

just saw the photos ... great!!!!
Felix is on board - i love it already!!!
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Kaipa » 10 Jun 2013, 13:34

Any news on the new album??????????????????
Kaipa

Postby projeKct » 02 Jul 2013, 16:54

According to Roine, it should be a "pretty dark" album.

Also, there will be no guest musicians. So the classic "5 piece" band, as on Banks of Eden.

Finally, he's talking about "some new twists & turns in TFK land"...

:)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Symfoon » 14 Jul 2013, 12:50

The release of the live audio/videoset from the last TFK/NMB/TA concert-extravaganza will actually happen but,
according to a very reliable source, as it looks now the release of it will only take place in early 2014.

Personally i would have loved this one to be the ultimate Xmass-gift for proggers in the year 2013... :mrgreen:
Symfoon

Postby progtastic mate » 29 Jul 2013, 06:39

Symfoon wrote:The release of the live audio/videoset from the last TFK/NMB/TA concert-extravaganza will actually happen but,
according to a very reliable source, as it looks now the release of it will only take place in early 2014.

Personally i would have loved this one to be the ultimate Xmass-gift for proggers in the year 2013... :mrgreen:

It looks like I'll have to ask for vouchers for Xmas.

Anyone who didn't see this, you have a treat in store. Lets hope this will live up to the excitement of the shows.
progtastic mate

Postby progaor06 » 05 Aug 2013, 18:18

this cd is out in october we have no artwork or samples banks of eden we had artwork 3 months in advance smaples and tracklisting.

guess they r kepeing thiso ne under tight wraps according to tomas ito ut in october unless soemthing drastically bad happens
progaor06

Postby projeKct » 14 Aug 2013, 22:36

Here's some hot news from Jonas's newsletter:
Reingold Records are looking into a hectic autumn full of exciting musical projects. I have started working on a new Karmakanic, Lalle Larsson has something in the pipeline, me and Nils Eriksson are working on a exciting project that will be called Ellipsis, packed with guests directly imported from the Prog Garden. I will finish up the DVD with Karmakanic recorded at RosFest 2012 and of course The Flower Kings have a new album out "Desolation Rose" at the end of October.
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Chessman » 17 Aug 2013, 11:01

projeKct wrote:Here's some hot news from Jonas's newsletter:
Reingold Records are looking into a hectic autumn full of exciting musical projects. I have started working on a new Karmakanic, Lalle Larsson has something in the pipeline, me and Nils Eriksson are working on a exciting project that will be called Ellipsis, packed with guests directly imported from the Prog Garden. I will finish up the DVD with Karmakanic recorded at RosFest 2012 and of course The Flower Kings have a new album out "Desolation Rose" at the end of October.

I refuse to get excited! :x

:D
Chessman

Postby progtastic mate » 02 Sep 2013, 10:23

Exciting news.

October is only weeks away.

Fingers crossed it's acurate information

:D
progtastic mate

Postby Vermin » 03 Sep 2013, 11:06

As you probably know, I'm not a hardcore TFK fan. However, my opinion is that the direction can only be upwards after Banks Of Eden, which is absolutely the lamest TFK record to date. I really hope the new album will include more than 5 tracks, and there won't be unnecessary bonus crap like BoE's disc nr. 2. This time I will first listen to the new album via Spotify (hopefully it get's there), and then make my decision whether it's worth buying or not. If Roine describes the new album that it's "pretty dark", that sounds quite promising. I'm quite confident that Desolation Rose will surprise me in a good way, at least I hope so.
Vermin

Postby Max Power » 05 Sep 2013, 19:14

I probably like Banks of Eden more than almost everything DT & Neal Morse have ever done.

But also, you're probably right; there is something odd about it.
Max Power

Re: new Flower Kings album "Desolation Rose" (2013)

Postby projeKct » 12 Sep 2013, 19:11

It is now official !!!

New studio album ‘Desolation Rose’ late October!

Swedish progressive-rock royalty The Flower Kings have had a busy year since regrouping in 2012 for the ‘Banks Of Eden’ album, and with a new creative vigor the band are following that with the fantastic new album ‘Desolation Rose’ due out on 28th October 2013. The artwork, once again created by Silas Toball, can be viewed above and the band had this to say about the forthcoming release:

"Being somewhat of a political statement, the epic theme of "Desolation Rose" is a logical step in a time where perpetual war, famine, environmental threats, religious conflicts dominate the media and our minds. This is a time to wake up and the music on this album takes you on a journey where you are forced to questions what the mainstream media feed us and to rethink your whole world view on all of the above. This is in many ways a typical Flower Kings album but we have also taken it into another realm where we do take chances and where you may struggle to get into the music - or the lyrics - but trust me when I say that you will be rewarded, as this may be our most involved, important and interesting album ever." (Roine Stolt - Sept 2013)

The track-listing for the album is as follows:
Tower ONE 13:39
Sleeping Bones 04:16
Desolation Road 04:00
White Tuxedos 06:30
The Resurrected Judas 08:24
Silent Masses 06:17
Last Carnivore 04:22
Dark Fascist Skies 06:05
Blood Of Eden 03:12
Silent Graveyards 02:52

Look out for more information and videos in the coming weeks!

Pre Sale start soon at The Flower Kings web shop:
www.flowerkings.se
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Chessman » 12 Sep 2013, 21:48

When I first saw this cover I thought of the cover of Opeth's last album Heritage. I think it's the tree that does it! :D
Chessman

Postby projeKct » 13 Sep 2013, 20:23

The CD itself will look like this :

For the artist website: http://www.duirwaigh.com/portfolio_cdcovers.php
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Vermin » 14 Sep 2013, 03:55

Max Power wrote:I probably like Banks of Eden more than almost everything DT & Neal Morse have ever done.

I also like BoE more than any Neal Morse album, but that's not much. I just can't stand Morse's lyrics. Any track in BoE doesn't make a strong impact to me. Every other TFK album is more diverse. BoE is kind of dull, it's like one long track, and nothing really happens.
Vermin

Postby projeKct » 14 Sep 2013, 13:15

Vermin wrote:Any track in BoE doesn't make a strong impact to me. Every other TFK album is more diverse. BoE is kind of dull, it's like one long track, and nothing really happens.

I was listening to BoE yesterday, as several people are discussing about it here...

Well, there are some very good moments in this "one long track", as you say...

My favourite section of the album is the ending of Numbers. Try this: start the track and go to the 17:43 mark. I find the last 8 minutes of this epic song to be just perfect!! Let me know if I'm right! ;)

I also love the Pandemonium song, and the way it is constructed. And all the little details in sound (guitar licks, drum fills, sound effects).

For Those About To Drown is very good because of its catchy melody.

The rest of the album is OK, but not "moving" nor "outstanding" to me...

The dullest moment of the album is the middle section of Numbers (from 9:55 to 17:42). It's a quieter section, but TFK have made much more interesting "quiet music" in the past...

I'm just hoping (like you) that the next album Desolation Rose will be filled with outstanding moments only!! 8-)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Björn-Ola » 15 Sep 2013, 16:17

For me it is as simple as this.
Have I played it a lot?
Yes!
Well, then it is good enough.
I realise that I wont get the kick I had the first time I listened to a TFK album.
What ever they do.
And this is the reason TKK was put to hiatus. Roine felt whatever they do, people would complain. Its not as good as Flower Power, its not proggy enough, its too much prog. The songs are too short, no they are too long and boring, I found a boring moment from 5:32 to.... Bla,bla.
Come on.
Björn-Ola

Postby Chessman » 15 Sep 2013, 19:55

[quote="**örn-Ola"]For me it is as simple as this.
Have I played it a lot?
Yes!
I realise that I wont get the kick I had the first time I listened to a TFK album.
What ever they do.
And this is the reason TKK was put to hiatus. Roine felt whatever they do, people would complain. Its not as good as Flower Power, its not proggy enough, its too much prog. The songs are too short, no they are too long and boring, I found a boring moment from 5:32 to.... Bla,bla.
Come on.

I tend to agree with all this. We are so used to TFK producing top notch albums that we almost become immune to them. We expect maybe too much at times. Every TFK album is first class, imo, and most other bands would give their high teeth to release just one album as good in their entire career! Because they've set the bar so high, especially with their first half dozen albums, it's very hard for TFK to produce anything that could top any of them. One day they may release an album that we all go 'wow, that's their best ever!' but somehow I doubt it. Personally, I'll be quite happy if they just maintain their current standard. It is, after all, rather high... 8-)
Chessman

Postby Max Power » 15 Sep 2013, 20:34

[quote="**örn-Ola"]For me it is as simple as this.
Have I played it a lot?
Yes!
What ever they do.
Come on.

Banks of Eden has a 4.02 score on the progarchives ( their second highest rating!). That's pretty amazing cause as a band they really deserve the attention, but to call this their second best album... :| I don't mind less proggy, shorter or longer, I just wish for TFK to stand out, concerning 2012 this is still not the case for me.
Max Power

Postby Vermin » 15 Sep 2013, 21:49

projeKct wrote:My favourite section of the album is the ending of Numbers. Try this: start the track and go to the 17:43 mark. I find the last 8 minutes of this epic song to be just perfect!! Let me know if I'm right! ;)

17:43-21.30 is the best section of the song. It has a bit the same feeling as The Flower King album. But overall the track is waay too long, because of it's lack of diversity. Just compare Numbers to some other TFK epics, like Silent Inferno (the greatest piece of music TFK have ever done), Stardust We Are, Devil's Playground, or even Monsters & Men, and see the difference.
If I need to name one stand out track in BoE, that would without a doubt be For The Love Of Gold. It has a really nice groove, nice melodies and great guitar and keyboard solos. But even FTLOG is nowhere near the level of TFK's greatest works.
Vermin

Next

Return to The Flower Kings