Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

What are you listening to?

General discussion about anything your heart desires

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby Symfoon » 15 Mar 2017, 16:36

Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall,
Daryl Way's Wolf - Night music
ELP - Pictures at an Exhibition (2cd remaster 2016)
Synergy - Sequenser
Schicke, Führs & Fröling (SFF) - Ticket to Everywhere (Esoteric remaster)
TFK - Paradox Hotel
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 16 Mar 2017, 10:41

Esoteric Remaster ... lol :lol:

https://jackotheclock.bandcamp.com/albu ... old-city-i
;)

... oh my ... im getting an orgasm ... i love it ... how good is this ... this is prog ... and awesome music ... f**k you all who discuss about it!!!
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Chessman » 23 Mar 2017, 00:48

Been listening to an old favourite the last couple of days:

Pendragon - Not Of This World

A brilliant album, from start to finish. I'd actually forgotten just how good it is. Phenomenal stuff indeed 8-)
Chessman

Postby Symfoon » 24 Mar 2017, 12:31

Zappa, White, Bozzio, O'Hearn & Jobson!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8rPk_wh3o
Symfoon

Postby projeKct » 24 Mar 2017, 21:02

AKT, an Eclectic Prog band from Italy.

All of their 3 studio albums are excellent...
2007: Déntrokirtòs
2011: Blemmebeya
2016: II

and you can download them for free!! 8-)

http://www.abstrakt.it/
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 24 Mar 2017, 22:12

Panzerpappa, Astromalist
Panzerpappa, Pestrottedans

My favourite Norwegian group and their latest two albums (2012 and 2016 respectively).
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby projeKct » 26 Mar 2017, 01:30

NotSteven wrote:Panzerpappa, Astromalist
Panzerpappa, Pestrottedans

My favourite Norwegian group and their latest two albums (2012 and 2016 respectively).

Well, from Norway, I prefer Circles End, Gazpacho, Jaga Jazzist, Magic Pie, Major Parkinson, Nils Petter Molvær, Motorpsycho, Retroheads, White Willow...

Do you know them?

But, thanks to you, I'm discovering another band: Panzerpappa. At first listen, Astromalist (2012) sounds very good ! 8-)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 26 Mar 2017, 12:47

Thinking Plague, Hoping Against Hope

Stalwart US avant-proggers and their 7th album in 35 years. With despair like this, who needs hope? Very good indeed!

projeKct wrote:Circles End, Gazpacho, Jaga Jazzist, Magic Pie, Major Parkinson, Nils Petter Molvær, Motorpsycho, Retroheads, White Willow...

Do you know them?)

Out of those you mention I like especially Magic Pie, White Willow and Circles End; Gazpacho's rather good, too. #2 on my favourite Norwegian artists list would be Wobbler, though. I have heard good things about both Jaga Jazzist and Nils Petter Molvær, but never got round to checking them out. I'm not really familiar with Major Parkinson nor Motorpsycho, despite having seen them getting favourable mentions here. Frankly, I've become quite lazy to try out new things and mostly just listen to stuff I'm thoroughly familiar with. I don't think I can even remember when was the last time I discovered someone new to listen to...
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 27 Mar 2017, 20:44

Been playing another Pendragon classic lately:

The Masquerade Overture

Another superb album :)
Chessman

Postby wowie » 28 Mar 2017, 09:56

uuuhhh so much to check out here :D freu freu
thanks for the link @Symfoon

Thinking Plague sounds brilliant!
Panzerpappa is also interesting ... just checkin Koralrevens klagesang ... who made their bandcamp site?? ... "the definitive Norwegian ... band"? ... really ;)
May i recommend this amazing album again, very symphonic but ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5RjVh9OKLU&t=94s

The site of Akt is really impressive! 8-) I think i once checked their FRCTAL ONE album but cant remember ... the latest sounds quite nice ... pretty fragile!

just playing the MOST UNDERRATED TFK SONG!!!

Whats your most underrated one?
wowie

Postby Symfoon » 28 Mar 2017, 10:18

NotSteven wrote:Thinking Plague, Hoping Against Hope

Stalwart US avant-proggers and their 7th album in 35 years. With despair like this, who needs hope? Very good indeed!

projeKct wrote:Circles End, Gazpacho, Jaga Jazzist, Magic Pie, Major Parkinson, Nils Petter Molvær, Motorpsycho, Retroheads, White Willow...

Do you know them?)

Out of those you mention I like especially Magic Pie, White Willow and Circles End; Gazpacho's rather good, too. #2 on my favourite Norwegian artists list would be Wobbler, though. I have heard good things about both Jaga Jazzist and Nils Petter Molvær, but never got round to checking them out. I'm not really familiar with Major Parkinson nor Motorpsycho, despite having seen them getting favourable mentions here. Frankly, I've become quite lazy to try out new things and mostly just listen to stuff I'm thoroughly familiar with. I don't think I can even remember when was the last time I discovered someone new to listen to...

White Willow.... after a 7 year wait their new album will be released still this month (including artwork by a guy called Roger Dean.. ;)) and (again) a new gorgeous leadvocalist.... :mrgreen: :ugeek:
speaking of Norwegian bands.... any of you guys familiar with the output of a band called 'Ulver'??
Symfoon

Postby projeKct » 28 Mar 2017, 11:53

Symfoon wrote:speaking of Norwegian bands.... any of you guys familiar with the output of a band called 'Ulver'??

Nope... What album do you suggest?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Symfoon » 28 Mar 2017, 14:09

projeKct wrote:
Symfoon wrote:speaking of Norwegian bands.... any of you guys familiar with the output of a band called 'Ulver'??

Hahaha... well that's a difficult one... first you maybe should read this to give you some 'impression'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulver
once.... they started off as a blackmetal band... but infact all their albums after that period are quite interesting... problem is that almost
none of their albums sounds like the previous one.... maybe it's just safe to start with their releases on the K-Scope label even than you already
get a spectrum of " symphopop/electrosoundscapes/classical stringensemblemusic/progmetal " to digest... in a way they are *the* progressive
ensemble pur sang... recently they have been involved in some filmscores as well.... if you are interested you can find some of their work even
on YouTube just make your pick... and be surprised ;) You can try all of the albums mentioned in the discography section om the wikipage (it doesn't
include the blackmetal stuff) The Julias Ceasar album is only coming out next month.... I own/know their records as from 'The Blood Inside' album...
and i am pretty impressed since then
Symfoon

Postby projeKct » 29 Mar 2017, 03:00

Symfoon wrote:
projeKct wrote:

Hahaha... well that's a difficult one... first you maybe should read this to give you some 'impression'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulver
once.... they started off as a blackmetal band... but infact all their albums after that period are quite interesting... problem is that almost
none of their albums sounds like the previous one.... maybe it's just safe to start with their releases on the K-Scope label even than you already
get a spectrum of " symphopop/electrosoundscapes/classical stringensemblemusic/progmetal " to digest... in a way they are *the* progressive
ensemble pur sang... recently they have been involved in some filmscores as well.... if you are interested you can find some of their work even
on YouTube just make your pick... and be surprised ;) You can try all of the albums mentioned in the discography section om the wikipage (it doesn't
include the blackmetal stuff) The Julias Ceasar album is only coming out next month.... I own/know their records as from 'The Blood Inside' album...
and i am pretty impressed since then

OK then... I will try Shadows of the Sun (2007) first... as it gets nice reviews on both Progarchives and Rateyoumusic websites...
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 30 Mar 2017, 20:25

Genesis, A Trick of the Tail

Things may come and things may go (and these days they mainly seem to go), but this remains one of my favourite albums.
NotSteven

Postby Symfoon » 31 Mar 2017, 11:12

Steve Hackett - The Night Siren
TFK - Stardust We Are
Ulver - War Of The Roses
Big Big Train - English Electric
Mainhorse - Mainhorse
Symfoon

Postby Chessman » 31 Mar 2017, 23:17

NotSteven wrote:Genesis, A Trick of the Tail

Things may come and things may go (and these days they mainly seem to go), but this remains one of my favourite albums.

A fantastic modern masterpiece indeed NotSteven. I always rank it as my number two Genesis album, behind The Lamb though, to be honest, they're pretty equal in my mind. I just love the complexities of The Lamb. Trick has some of the strongest melodies and hooks that Genesis ever committed to record, and it boasts my favourite Genesis album cover too. I see you haven't lost your excellent taste my friend ;)
Chessman

Postby projeKct » 01 Apr 2017, 00:08

Chessman wrote:

A fantastic modern masterpiece indeed NotSteven. I always rank it as my number two Genesis album, behind The Lamb though, to be honest, they're pretty equal in my mind. I just love the complexities of The Lamb. Trick has some of the strongest melodies and hooks that Genesis ever committed to record, and it boasts my favourite Genesis album cover too. I see you haven't lost your excellent taste my friend ;)

Very bombastic/dramatic/romantic album indeed! :)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Symfoon » 04 Apr 2017, 10:43

projeKct wrote:
Chessman wrote:

Very bombastic/dramatic/romantic album indeed! :)

Probably one of the albums which has the best sounding mellotron(s) of all time recorded on it.... (imho)
Symfoon

Postby Symfoon » 04 Apr 2017, 10:49

Dutch treat ;)

Kayak - Cleopatra, the crown of Isis
Earth & Fire - To the world of the future
Supersister - Iskander
Solution - Mythology
Alquin - Nobody can wait forever
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 04 Apr 2017, 11:10

@Symfoon
... and some of the best bass pedals!
Mad Man Moon is definitely in the TOP 5 of the best songs ever written.

was at a vinyl fleamarket last weekend. and there was one with some very nice Genesis Bootleg albums and live albums ... he also had FOXTROT but german pressing.
Every single vinyl was around 40 - 60€
wowie

Postby Symfoon » 04 Apr 2017, 16:26

wowie wrote:
was at a vinyl fleamarket last weekend. and there was one with some very nice Genesis Bootleg albums and live albums ... he also had FOXTROT but german pressing.
Every single vinyl was around 40 - 60€

Ehhhm think that's a bit overprized?, close to where i am living there's a MediaMarkt which actually has a 'prog department' Believe it or not....!!. i saw some of the old
Genesis albums there for €. 20-25 a piece (including Foxtrot and Trick btw). These are the re-pressings containing the mixes/mastering from the latest re-issues on cd...
(So the batch which actually came out after the 'Definite Edition' versions... ;))
But then again i can imagine for a good bootleg from the haydays they may ask prices upto 40-60 €. a piece, got quite a few vinyls boots back home but actually bought
already in the 'old days' when nobody ever heard of cd, dvd, mp3... you know the times when you were already happy when you had 6 or 8 channels on your tv :D ;)
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 05 Apr 2017, 18:33

:D yeah ... i missed that time ... quite close
Im an analog/digital-hybrid :P

so better watch out, better watch out and check out these wonderful ladies doing Genesis ... prog was never dead, just sleeping ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ErK5SrJals

well ... i dont know ... but this is sooo cool:
wowie

Postby wowie » 05 Apr 2017, 20:07

The Musical Box with Danny Carey
they are so so good ... they are really better sometimes (not here but ... ) ... what a bliss!!
wowie

Postby Symfoon » 06 Apr 2017, 09:25

I do realise this makes me sound like a (very) old man, but sometimes i truly feel happy that there still young musicians out there trying some new things in the regions of the music we like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KASVJ9GE-yE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inviQjiDtEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y0qP4RpAhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg2AoyY67k8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rORgqd--7zY

and you know what?, they are even coming from my hometown! :D
Symfoon

Postby Symfoon » 12 Apr 2017, 09:56

Jan Akkerman - The singles A's&B's and more....
Genesis - Live
Big Big Train - Folklore
Supersister - Long live Supersister!
Steve Hackett - The night siren
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 17 Apr 2017, 07:08

oh oh oh ... KC as complete (song material) and good as .... never!?!

what a bliss ...
wowie

Postby wowie » 18 Apr 2017, 11:29

Toro Y Moi more psychedelic side ... great nice album
wowie

Postby progtastic mate » 20 Apr 2017, 12:40

Saw Bernie Torme last week (ex Gillan band guitarist) who was stunning so listening to his new album Dublin Cowboy (if you like hedrixy, rory gallaghery, gary moorey type stuff).
Saw Dream Theater last night - Just listened To octivarium, going to give a change of seasons a spin.
Don't ask me, I'm just making it up as i go along
progtastic mate

Postby Chessman » 21 Apr 2017, 20:13

The new Steve Hackett opus - The Night Siren

And very good it is indeed. I've played it three times so far.
To be honest, on my first listen, the first three songs didn't grab my attention much, I thought they were just typical Hackett fare, which of course is very good but in this case nothing really different, but from the fourth track onwards I began to get very impressed. Now I think the whole album is rather excellent indeed. Some quite different tracks on there and some wonderful guitar playing too. Well done Steve! ;)
Chessman

PreviousNext

Return to Flower Power