Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Greetings Everyone :)

A forum dedicated to the introduction of you

Greetings Everyone :)

Postby Steve Turner » 14 Apr 2009, 10:43

I have been a Flower Kings fan for a long time. I found their music through a compilation of songs I found that someone had made me some time before. I gravitated to Stardust We Are (the song) and have never looked back. The romance and beauty of what The Flower Kings do is something really special.

I must admit I drifted a little as a fan after the last couple of releases but recently I got back in to my favorites (UTF, SWA, R, A&E) and thought I would come check out what is going on in Flower Kings forum land. Great to see some passionate Gardeners here :)

I play music myself and am working on a solo CD at the moment - with a drummer some of you know.

Steve.
Steve Turner

Re: Greetings Everyone :)

Postby projeKct » 14 Apr 2009, 12:00

Hi Steve and welcome to this board!

- What instrument(s) do you play?
- Is it your first solo album?
- When (and how) do you plan to release it?
- Do you also play within a band?
- How did you manage to have Zoltan playing drums for you?
- Did you listen to the latest Stolt project, Agents of Mercy?
- Do you Unitopia, a good prog band from Australia?

That would be it for today ;)

Julien
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Steve Turner » 14 Apr 2009, 13:25

- What instrument(s) do you play?

I play guitar best and take most of my time developing my skill on that instrument. At present I am working on some technical stuff to get my hands in to shape for the CD but focusing on articulation and clarity rather than pure speed. I also sing reasonably, play bass and can write on keys but would never perform live on that instrument. I did a degree in music a few years ago and can get my head around most instruments (oh except wind, I am terrible at those) but I decided to be as good as I need to be I need to focus and minimise rather than be a jack of all trades.

- Is it your first solo album?

I released a solo CD EP last year called "Not in Kansas Anymore" which though a little rushed in the end was well worth doing. I learned a lot doing it that I have done differently for the full length album. The CD EP was with a local guy on sticks - not Zoltan. It is 4 original songs blending guitar shred, melodic rock and some Krimson style progressive sounds. So the upcoming CD is my first full length release. It should be 9 songs and come in at around 50 minutes. My site is www.steveturner.com.au

- When (and how) do you plan to release it?

When is the big question. I hope to complete it this year. As far as release goes it depends on my strategy and that is not something I have defined to a degree that I wish to share right now. There will of course be physical media (CD) and I hope to find a suitable way to sell downloads - something I have recently done with my EP via my website but it requires paypal which not everyone has these days.

I am also working on a book of guitar instructional material. It wont be like the chops from hell stuff (which I do love but want to do something different). It will focus on technique but also describe the theory behind some of the ideas rather than just presenting them physically.

- Do you also play within a band?

Yes, my trio have played live here and most of the songs are gig tested which was very helpful. We are not playing at the moment though as I need a new drummer for live shows. Unfortunately Zoltan is an incredible drummer but has not yet learned to teleport to the southern hemisphere so I am looking locally for someone to fill out the power trio live.

- How did you manage to have Zoltan playing drums for you?

I basically asked him. I sent him my stuff and he was keen to give it a go. It was a dream come true for me because I had written a list of ten players I wanted to have on my album. Zoltan was number one for me - he is definitely one of my favourite players. I still remember hearing him and Jonas for the first time and thinking they were the best rhythm section in progressive rock. My plan was to basically contact the players on my list in order from one to ten. I was fortunate that Zoltan seems to have liked what I do enough to dedicate some time to doing it for me. Fortunately my bass player is of a pretty high calibre so I didnt have to go as far to find the right guy. Evan plays normal bass, fretless, chapman stick (think Tony Levin) and NSStick.

- Did you listen to the latest Stolt project, Agents of Mercy?

Funny you should ask, I just ordered it via PayPal an hour or two ago, so I will post my thoughts after I spend a week listening. I love Roine's vision in music and really enjoy his acoustic work and lighter side.

- Do you Unitopia, a good prog band from Australia?

I have heard them on myspace and really liked what they do. I might try and get in touch with them next time I am in Adelaide - at least to see a gig or something because though they are very different to what I do I really enjoy what they do. I really like their vocals a lot and the expansive exposition of their songs. There is something very traditionally progressive about them but something very Australian as well.

Thanks for the questions! I love talking about music.

Steve.
Steve Turner

Postby wowie » 15 May 2009, 09:12

:D
Well, well, all the best for your project!! Sounds very interesting!!
You do myspace?

ahh .... found you: http://www.myspace.com/steveturnersolo
VERY NICE STUFF!!!! :D
"Recalibrate the solar ..." is great!!!
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Steve Turner » 20 May 2009, 01:51

Wowie - thanks for listening!

Some of those tracks are being redone and Zoltan has already done the drums for all the songs - including Recalibrate. He said that one was his personal favourite to play. I can not wait for everyone to hear what he has done on my project.

website www.steveturner.com.au
myspace www.myspace.com/steveturnersolo
www.twitter.com/stevejturner

Steve.
Steve Turner

Postby wowie » 22 May 2009, 07:45

:D
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Max Power » 16 Aug 2009, 18:50

Steve Turner wrote:Wowie - thanks for listening!

Some of those tracks are being redone and Zoltan has already done the drums for all the songs - including Recalibrate. He said that one was his personal favourite to play. I can not wait for everyone to hear what he has done on my project.

website www.steveturner.com.au
myspace www.myspace.com/steveturnersolo
www.twitter.com/stevejturner

Steve.

I've just listened to the songs on your myspace.
I'll try to be honest : a piece like three60 does basically nothing for me. The music seems very focused on technique, which is not bad off course although it seems to lack a certain harmony. It could use more balans and I'd love to see a more gentle touch in the heavy soloing moments. Except for 'recalibrate the solar wind' and 'absolut duality' the other songs suffer similiar problems. The song 'not in kansas anymore' has vocals, is this you singing? You certainly have talent on playing and singing then. As I see it I would especially use the higher vocals, but more as details within the songs. 'Recalibrate the solar wind' and 'absolut duality' however are very impressive, this is the side from steve turner I'd like to hear more from! Wish you all the best with your music and life!

Max Power
Max Power

Return to Different People