Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Hello from England.

A forum dedicated to the introduction of you

Hello from England.

Postby mrgreedy » 08 Jan 2010, 20:52

Hi, I've just discovered TFK while exploring the net for new Prog music.

I've been a Marillion fan since 1990 and thought it was about time to explore some more Prog Rock. I decided to get Retropolis after hearing Silent Sorrow on the radio and I've really enjoyed it. There are some great musical moments throughout, although I haven't quite got into the lyric yet. I then tried Stardust, which I've only listened to once so far and was a bit disappointed to be honest. Given that I like Retropolis, what other TFK albums would you recommend.

Cheers,
Pete
mrgreedy

Re: Hello from England.

Postby projeKct » 08 Jan 2010, 23:20

Hi Pete! and hello from Canada ;)

Yeah, Retropolis is a solid album! In fact, I think this was a collection of songs composed long before 1996 but recorded in 1996 by The Flower Kings. So it has a nice 'retro' feel throughout. Personally, I'm in love with The Melting Pot, which is in my opinion the best instrumental song by TFK. From this album, I also find Rhythm of the Sea and The Judas Kiss to be extremely good songs.

Given that you like Retropolis, you should definitely try the Roine Stolt album called The Flower King (without an 's') which is also very retro and very good!!

Then, if you want to carry on, listen to Back in the World of Adventures. So now you have 3 albums to discover.

After that, I suggest you to listen again to Stardust We Are, because I think this album contains some of the best TFK songs: In the Eyes of the World, The Man of Walks with Kings, Circus Brimstone, Compassion, Ghost of the Red Cloud and Stardust We Are... to name a few! Flower Kings albums need to spin a lot before being understood... believe me!!!

Garden of Dreams from the Flower Power album, a.k.a. the 1-hour song, is incredibly beautiful and entertaining. You wouldn't miss that.

After that, I admit TFK changed their sound... but they are still as good as they were. A little more complex maybe, a little less spontaneous...?

Anyway... welcome on board! and keep posting!!! ;)

Julien
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby mrgreedy » 09 Jan 2010, 20:36

Hi Julien, thanks for replying. I'm going to try Roine's The Flower King as you suggest, and then explore some of the others.
mrgreedy

Postby wowie » 10 Jan 2010, 09:28

Space Revolver is of course a MUST!!!! And FlowerPower!!! And UTF!! AND AND AND
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... m=lk_itchy
have a listen to all records here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... etitchy-21
and here

Just for info
Julien said, tfk album need long to get into. Thats definitely for sure.
tfk is very special these days.
its imo the only and best band that comes closest to the eclectic style of the 70s.
They can sound very different and they are very complex with a very wide and depth perspective!!!
Many people think its to jazzy to much doodeling. So you have to adapt your senses a bit to canterbury/freejazz and highly symphonic stuff if you want to fully get into it i think.
TFK bombs every song structure. Roine is a big Zappa/Garbiel fan! So dont be to picky when it comes to different song structures like Vampires View. This song is oc a extreme example but be open for everything :D

You will find some of the best magic hooks ever produced on those records. TFK is right beside Yes, Genesis and Marillion when it comes to magic melody lines!!! Dont miss!!
Last edited by wowie on 10 Jan 2010, 17:30, edited 5 times in total.
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Max Power » 10 Jan 2010, 15:56

Silent sorrow on the radio? wow! I encountered only one pub in Belgium yet that has tfk albums, it's called the bar noir and he played 'the rainmaker' for us ^^. Stardust is there most diverse I think, it can be the best in it's own diverse way at times though. Many people claim that TFK is always making the same albums, but this only counts on two things : Quality and being faithful to the 70's and it's own inspiring world. For the rest every album is unique: 'space revolver' seems the best way to start, very groovy retro prog. 'Flower power' seems very ambitious and has much emphasis on emotions, 'Paradox Hotel' is more songbased with less keyboards than usual, 'Unfold the future' is the most unique and has the most non-typical TFK elements...

I wonder what part of Stardust could be so struggling for you (although I'm sure it will change in the future ;-) )
Other than that I think if you like Retropolis, 'Back in the world of adventures' could do no wrong.

Don't forget to check out Transatlantic! Probably the most important "side"project, 'the whirlwind' and 'The bridge across forever' are incredible!
Max Power

Postby mrgreedy » 15 Jan 2010, 21:29

Heh, it was on an internet Prog radio station, so not that surprising :)

I'll be sure to give Stardust some more listens. I got hold of Flower Power as well, but I'm not that keen on it to be honest. There are some very weird bits in it. Perhaps there's just something specific about Retropolis that gets my attention. I might give Space Revolver a go, or Back in the World... like you suggest, Max Power.

I've had my eye on Transatlantic for while, being a Marillion Freak. Have to get that as well. It's going to be an expensive month :(
mrgreedy

Postby projeKct » 15 Jan 2010, 23:30

mrgreedy wrote:I got hold of Flower Power as well, but I'm not that keen on it to be honest. There are some very weird bits in it.

Well, I would be interested to know what are these "weird bits" !

Are you talking about Garden Of Dreams or the rest of the Flower Power album? I'm used to consider Garden Of Dreams as an album on its own...
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Hrolf » 16 Jan 2010, 02:31

If I were you, I'd consider buying one of the two live DVDs. Meet the Flower Kings @live made me realize the heart of their music. Seeing them perform the songs is a different experience than just hearing the music, and offers, in my opinion, a better perspective. Particularly for a band like the Flower Kings, for whom jamming is an important aspect of their music.

As for you not being grabbed by the studio albums - don't worry. It takes time to blossom, TFK do not compose catchy music with easy-to-remember melodies. Some part are like this, yes, but it is much more, and, like I said, it takes quite a lot of spins to grasp what is going on. Just don't give up.

And instead of buying another album from the start of their career, you could try a more recent album, just to see if it appeals more to you. Jonas Reingold (2003 +) is quite an important addition to the band and his bass playing is mind-boggling. I would suggest to stay with the single disc albums, as they are more easy to digest. The Sum of No Evil is a very consistent album, and although it is not a consensus, it is one of my favorites.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!!
Hrolf

Postby projeKct » 16 Jan 2010, 05:06

Hrolf wrote:Jonas Reingold (2003 +) is quite an important addition to the band and his bass playing is mind-boggling.

You made some good points Hrolf, but I must correct you on this fact: Jonas began to play with TFK in 2000 (on Space Revolver), not 2003... and you're right, his playing is a real bonus for the band! :)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Hrolf » 16 Jan 2010, 14:59

Hehe...you're right. I forgot about Space Revolver. Meh. Shame on me :P
Hrolf

Postby Chessman » 21 Jan 2010, 22:34

Welcome MrGreedy! Nice to see another Englishman on here!
I have to agree wholeheartedly with my colleagues here; TFK's music can take a long time to sink in. The first album I bought was Flower Power and after the first couple of plays I thought, hmm, not sure about this. But then, a couple of plays later, I got it and it's now my second favourite album of all time, just behind The Lamb - and the gap between them is getting smaller all the time. I love both discs. Songs such as Magic Pie, Pyschedelic Postcard, Painter, Calling Home, and Stupid Girl I find utterly absorbing, in fact, exhilarating! Well, to be honest, every track on disc two is wonderful. and The Garden Of Dreams is an absolute masterpiece, imo.
Actually, an album I would recommend to you would be The Rainmaker. It's more song based, not quite as complex,and easier to digest after a couple of listens. It's very strong on melody and Roine's guitar work throughout is captivating and invigorating!
As you can tell, I'm a big fan, and TFK are my second fave band of all time, just behind Genesis.
We are lucky indeed to have such a band plying their trade these days. It's something I've sorely missed since the '70s.

All the best,
Carl ;)
Chessman

Postby mrgreedy » 13 Jul 2010, 17:42

Hello again, just thought I'd follow up on my post. After six months, I've given Stardust a few more good listens and what can I say. Wow, your replies are spot on. I've been listening to music for more than 20 years and am experienced enough to know that often the best albums take the most listening to grow on you, but it's still surprising when an album does this to you. I think the second disc is amazing, some really good tracks on there, one after another; a pleasure to listen to. I've just bought some more of their albums and I'll be sure to give them plenty of sinking-in time, hopefully less than six months :)
mrgreedy

Postby projeKct » 13 Jul 2010, 22:52

mrgreedy wrote:I've just bought some more of their albums and I'll be sure to give them plenty of sinking-in time, hopefully less than six months :)

Take your time, it's worth it! :)
projeKct
Site Admin

Return to Different People