Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

new Flower Kings album "Desolation Rose" (2013)

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

Re: new Flower Kings album "Desolation Rose" (2013)

Postby Chessman » 19 Nov 2013, 21:42

Very hard for me to choose my favourite TFK drummer - they've all been top notch. However, I always enjoyed Jaime's drumming and he was also with the band longer than any other drummer. I think his style fitted in perfectly with the early TFK sound. I do admire Zoltan's tremendous abilities though. Marcus seemed to be more laid back but was also excellent technically, and Felix is already very good indeed. Overall I might have to choose Jaime, but it's a close call... :?
Chessman

Postby projeKct » 20 Nov 2013, 04:06

It's just funny, because in French, "J'aime" means "I like" or "I love"... so I would say that "J'aime Jaime"... I like Jaime! :lol:
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Max Power » 20 Nov 2013, 19:44

wowie wrote:does "nevermind" means something like good or the opposite? :)

well, i love the acoustic guitar - as i always said, we need more acoustic guitar stuff!!!!! it always sounds beautiful with tfk and specially with Tomas synth and Jonas bass.
The melody and the end of TRJ is the high point on the album i think. Very rough and strong that they end it so abrupt.

I think Eric Bliss is predicting big commercial succes for that song, similiar to the nirvana album.
Max Power

Postby wowie » 25 Nov 2013, 18:15

hmmm...

so as someone mentioned in the mailing list, the first few tones from Blood of Eden are from the alien song of Close Encounters ...

then of course we have the link in The Ressurected Judas.

And hows the line in White Tuxedos again, Dog eat dog???
as this is also a lyric in Devils Playground...

any more links???

i think the beginning (first 30 secs) of DFS reminds to UTF and Zappa.
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Symfoon » 18 Dec 2013, 15:47

Breakfast in America, 13, The theory of everything, I Robot, What! Now?, The colour of Spring, Biophilia, Wish you were here,
Captain Fantastic (and the brown dirt cowboy).....
just a few names of albums i loaded onto my mobile together with Desolation Rose... when i changed to 'shuffle mode' songs of
Desolation Rose started to turn up between some of the tracks from the albums i just mentioned.. what shocked me then was the
rather poor sound quality of the tracks coming from Desolation Rose... i wonder where the days of albums like Stardust, UtF, A&E
and even The sum of no evil have gone??...
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby Björn-Ola » 18 Dec 2013, 18:24

I think the decline in sound quality started with Dramarama and the idea to record on analog tapes.
I don't think that is a good idea. It is transferred to digital anyway.

Great album anyway.
Tomorrow, I will see them in Göteborg (Gothenburg). I can't wait!
Björn-Ola

Postby Symfoon » 19 Dec 2013, 10:18

[quote="**örn-Ola"]I think the decline in sound quality started with Dramarama and the idea to record on analog tapes.
I don't think that is a good idea. It is transferred to digital anyway.

Great album anyway.
Tomorrow, I will see them in Göteborg (Gothenburg). I can't wait!

Fully agree with you, that one was one of he worst sounding cd's i bought over the last 20 years orso... :(
despite all of this i would be glad if you could fully inform us about the Gothenborg gig, as when on stage
there is still nothing wrong with our favourites.... although we could start arguing again about the drummer
position in the band... :D ;)
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 20 Dec 2013, 14:26

i know but i think since UTF, A&E and Wall Street Voodoo it gets not really better as a sum.
I think Roine wants to create a special sound. So everything is involved here i guess, arrangement, recording, mixing, mastering ...

the production is not bad just because of analog tapes. maybe "they" are irritated how to mix and master it ... in a ... good way :D
http://mmusicmag.com/m/2010/09/al-schmitt/
Maybe my fave album when it comes to production. Full dynamic and so present/loud, clear/detailed and organic. just amazingly good. but i guess it is not as hard as to master a rock-synth album.

another thing is, dont know if you listen in CENSORED, the sound quality is really not as good with CENSORED as on the cd i think.
if you listen from cd and play it very loud (as the full mix comes with a specific volume) on a good system, i think the sound quality is pretty excellent. still not what i really wish for (which mostly depends on the drumkit and the mix) but different and very authentic and powerfull.
Look at the synth on Ressurected Judas the mid section, cinematic!! ;)

If you take EGGS & DOGS, the sound is so so good i think. its a clean/audiophile but still organic sound with a great but mayby bit undynamic mix (which doesnt matter here that much as there is not much symphonic/jazzy need for it). i dont think the first track or any other suffers from this.

oh and BIG BTW
i had another listen to LOVE SOUPREME, and this song is so so so good in terms of general music.
Just the beginning is maybe one of the best things tfk have done.
this song is just perfect in every thing you can measure. from start to finish. such a strong strong play and production.
and you must listen to all the synths on adam & eve, this is a masterpiece of synth arrangement and post-production!!! :D
AN ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE!!!!
The bass is of course also outstanding!!! maybe this is the only album where Reingold/Bodin/drummer comes very close to the quantity and quality of what Rutherford/Banks/Collins did back then.
so after A&E its all a bit chaotic and hard to differentiate.
UTF is of course much more proggy, symphonic and fusion, but it doesnt hit this sound and rock eclecticism. But specially SR, Rainmaker and UTF made it possible!
At the moment they are not as strong as back then at Space Revolver - A&E times, but they can be with the next album or tour. As they show massive potential of interplay with Felix on drums. And they are also very proggy here and there. If they now get a bit more symphonic, jazzy AND METAL again, they are better then ever!

so if you could list 3 songs of tfk and side-projects, 3 (max 4) songs which describe you as a person the best, what would you choose?
isnt that a great thread??!!

1 Entering the Spectra/Love Soupreme
2 Devils Playground
3 would be i am the sun pt 1 & 2

:D

for genesis i would choose
1. Aisle of Plenty
2. The Musical Box
3. Riding the Scree
4. Wot Gorilla?

for KC
1. The Letters
2. Moonchild
3. One More Red Nightmare

;)
Last edited by wowie on 21 Dec 2013, 12:27, edited 7 times in total.
wowie

Postby Björn-Ola » 20 Dec 2013, 15:10

You should never listen to TFK music in MP3 format. Never, ever!
It's a sacrilege to do this!
TFK music deserves the best sound quality you can get. They should release it in 24 bit format.
Never mention MP3 in this forum again! It's filthy and disgusting.
Björn-Ola

Postby Max Power » 21 Dec 2013, 11:46

What he said! :D
Max Power

Postby wowie » 21 Dec 2013, 12:23

:D
wowie

Postby Max Power » 23 Dec 2013, 13:29

so if you could list 3 songs of tfk and side-projects, 3 (max 4) songs which describe you as a person the best, what would you choose?
isnt that a great thread??!!

1 Entering the Spectra/Love Soupreme
2 Devils Playground
3 would be i am the sun pt 1 & 2

Hmm I feel a bit self-centered when comparing myself to TFK songs, guess that's one of the character traits I should be searching for :D

Let's try:
1. Deaf, Numb & Blind
2. The Painter
3. Monsters & Men

I might be overlooking things, mainly searching for the following things: Autism, silent when it comes to chit chat, ambitious combined with laziness, constantly focused on creativity/ addicted to the arts, non-sentimental kindness, good while hoping not to be hypocrite...

I was also thinking I am the sun pt 1, but I 'm not sure which aspect as there seems so much going on ^^.
Max Power

Postby Symfoon » 23 Dec 2013, 14:56

wowie wrote:i know but i think since UTF, A&E and Wall Street Voodoo it gets not really better as a sum.
I think Roine wants to create a special sound. So everything is involved here i guess, arrangement, recording, mixing, mastering ...

the production is not bad just because of analog tapes. maybe "they" are irritated how to mix and master it ... in a ... good way :D
http://mmusicmag.com/m/2010/09/al-schmitt/
Maybe my fave album when it comes to production. Full dynamic and so present/loud, clear/detailed and organic. just amazingly good. but i guess it is not as hard as to master a rock-synth album.

another thing is, dont know if you listen in CENSORED, the sound quality is really not as good with CENSORED as on the cd i think.
if you listen from cd and play it very loud (as the full mix comes with a specific volume) on a good system, i think the sound quality is pretty excellent. still not what i really wish for (which mostly depends on the drumkit and the mix) but different and very authentic and powerfull.

@Wowie
FYG i actually bought a copy of the vinyl edition of Desolation Rose which has both cd's included as a bonus in a plastic bag,
i think the vinyl even sounds a bit better than the cd.... but compared to the albums on cd i mentioned in a previous mail
Desolation Rose sounds rather 'poor'.

I fully agree with you on the drums... it seems somehow on the latest releases there is a serious 'problem' in recording the drums right
as i must honestly say that also on Desolation Rose (again!) the drums sound 'rather not really good' (trying to keep things polite/friendly here.. ;))
Symfoon

Postby dint10 » 28 Dec 2013, 18:19

Speaking of the vinyl edition of DR - I would really, really love to get a copy of this:

http://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/The_Fl ... 2CD-/15941

I think maybe Inside Out no longer have it. Does anyone know where I may be able to get a copy?
dint10

Postby projeKct » 29 Dec 2013, 15:18

dint10 wrote:Speaking of the vinyl edition of DR - I would really, really love to get a copy of this:

http://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/The_Fl ... 2CD-/15941

I think maybe Inside Out no longer have it. Does anyone know where I may be able to get a copy?

You might consider:
http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/The_Flower ... 2CD-/47011
for only 17 US$ + S&H ...
projeKct
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Flower Kings