Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

THE FLOWER KINGS 20th Anniversary Tour

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

Re: THE FLOWER KINGS 20th Anniversary Tour

Postby NotSteven » 15 Apr 2014, 20:46

I hope they do revive some classic oldies which haven't been played in recent years. I would love to see The Flower King make the setlist again...
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby Vermin » 24 Apr 2014, 20:43

Can't afford to travel abroad at the moment, but that line-up would be really interesting, especially Sound of Contact. I've seen PoS playing live twice, and been losing my interest towards them. I was there when Karmakanic and Agents of Mercy were performing at Nosturi in Helsinki. It was a great gig, and would be nice to see them live again someday.
Vermin

Postby NotSteven » 26 Apr 2014, 18:56

Did anybody here go to see the band at De Pul yesterday (or do you know someone who was there)? I'd love to see the setlist...
NotSteven

Postby wowie » 29 Apr 2014, 15:52

"Setlist (with 1 or 2 songs forgotten probably):

Numbers
My Cosmic Lover
Desolation Road
Stardust (part 1 and 2 I guess, not the last part they always played before)
The Resurrected Judas
Tower One

I won’t give you the covers they played, I think that has to be a surprise for you! J
Sorry, no “There is more to this World” and unfortunately nothing from “UTF”."

+++

"Was so happy about garden of dreams pt 2, stardust and big puzzle ... Weeeeeh... But all other stuff was great too. "

+++

"PS: The second encore was a big, big surprise - and gave me goosebumps!!! No, I won't tell for the monemt... just go and watch that fantastic band!"

via tfk mailinglist
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby NotSteven » 29 Apr 2014, 18:01

Thanks, wowie! Much appreciated!
NotSteven

Postby Symfoon » 30 Apr 2014, 11:38

NotSteven wrote:Thanks, wowie! Much appreciated!

View they won't play Finland so you are not able to go out and watch the band on this tour...
the cover they played is most probably David Bowie's 'Life on Mars?' as they played that
one on the previous few shows they played in Sweden... ;)
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby Symfoon » 01 May 2014, 11:40

For what it is worth, this should have been last night's setlist in Lyon/France :

1.Tower ONE
2.Desolation Road
3.The Resurrected Judas
4.Numbers
5.Rising the Imperial
6.Medley My Cosmic Lover/Garden of Dreams
Encore ! :
7.Echoes
(Pink Floyd cover)
Encore 2:
8.Cinema show
(Genesis cover)

A very weird setlist if you would ask me ;) i have not found a source yet which could confirm this is indeed a 100% correct one
of last night's performance.
Symfoon

Postby Kaipa » 13 May 2014, 11:17

Last saturday the 10e of May at "de Boerderij " i was at one amazing concert. "Sound of Contact" didn't do it to me yet. But for the rest including the "Cinema Show " with the guitarist of SoC and Simon Collins on drums, it was one show to remember. GREAT. Now to the show of the Tangent & Karmakanic in "de Boerderij" May 30th.
Kaipa

Postby NotSteven » 14 May 2014, 15:29

I caught the lads at Islington. The band were in a terrific form and their main set was absolutely amazing, but I must say that for me the encore with the two covers (Echoes, The Cinema Show) was something of an anticlimax after the 90 minutes of utter TFK bliss. Great show all the same.
NotSteven

Postby Symfoon » 16 May 2014, 09:20

Kaipa wrote:Last saturday the 10e of May at "de Boerderij " i was at one amazing concert. "Sound of Contact" didn't do it to me yet. But for the rest including the "Cinema Show " with the guitarist of SoC and Simon Collins on drums, it was one show to remember. GREAT. Now to the show of the Tangent & Karmakanic in "de Boerderij" May 30th.

Mmmmmm, actualy i thought that the SoC show was better than the performance of TFK to be honest - at least when it comes to soundquality. Overall my experience of last saturday was that TFK delivered
a bit 'messy' and 'unconcentrated' performance combined with a volume which was MUCH TO LOUD!!!. I wonder if anyone else ever went to a concert where the bandleader had to order his own soundman to
put the main volume down because also he wants to have a nice evening (on stage). I also wonder how this could ever happen as already during the soundcheck in the afternoon the band was ordered to lower the
volume by the management of De Boerderij!!! FYG in the afternoon the band was playing at a volume of well over 115Db.!!!

What i also did not quite understand is that they let SoC play for about 75 minutes on their socalled 20th Anniversary tour and play a set themselves which did not even lasted for 2 hours in total including the encores!?,
i saw disapointed fans of which even quite a few left during the gig.... even you must have noticed that during the TFK set quite some space was revealed on the floor of the main hall during the performance
caused by people leaving. As a die-hard TFK fan i did not wanted to leave but i shure could bring up some kind of understanding for those who actually did. Their performance was not really one which would/could justify a
celebration of 20 years of great TFK music... and again besides that it was much to loud!! :( For sure the most unsatisfying TFK gig i saw of all their performances since 1996. And Roine please get rid of this horrible soundguy and please
also look around for another drummer (again.....?!)
Symfoon

Postby NotSteven » 16 May 2014, 10:16

Symfoon wrote:Overall my experience of last saturday was that TFK delivered a bit 'messy' and 'unconcentrated' performance combined with a volume which was MUCH TO LOUD!!!

I'm very surprised at these comments, because 'messy' and 'unconcentrated' most certainly aren't among those words I would use in describing the band's performance at O2 Academy Islington, just a couple of days earlier. They were tight, controlled and spot-on; I would have thought they had hit their stride and been able to deliver a similarly striking set each night. The sound balance was excellent, too (which doesn't happen often) - at least where I was standing. Volume-wise it may have been slightly on the loud side, because with earplugs on it all sounded all right, but it was not ribcage-rattlingly loud, like many gigs all too often are these days.

As for members of the audience leaving during TFK's set, there was some of that at Islington, too, but I reckon that was mostly because some people had specifically come to see Sound of Contact (who played about an hour).
NotSteven

Postby wowie » 17 May 2014, 19:03

what about the drummer?
by the vids, i had the feeling that Felix sounded better. more accentuated then last time, and his ability to strengthen the band, is pretty good i think... and much more.
??

the people who left, maybe some Collins fans, no tfk fans?

but i understand a bit critic for the 20th anniversary tour, but maybe there wasnt much more possible and it was a single possibility to do the SoC thing.

Much to loud, thats happening sometimes and yes its kind of frustrating for some. i hope you werent in the first row?
Because sometimes, the first rows are quite loud where the 10 row is just perfect. But Boerdereij?
I was a big DT fan up to their metal style after M2, and then the volume was so bad at the concert at that time, i left from the concert and was very disappointed. The vids of the tfk gigs are okay for me.
have to check some boerderij vids.

were all of them unconcentrated or was it just Tomas and Roine?
:D ;)

i have to admit, i wasnt on any concert this year, because first of all, there werent here in Frankfurt. They were all years back then but not this time.
I wanted to go to Netherlands but i had not much motivation for SoC or KA. But im very sad that i missed this tour because from the vids, they had some very very nice atmosphere and situations on that tour. Jonas and Felix are so good, Hasse was so good this time!!
wowie

Postby T Ennis » 17 May 2014, 21:01

I am following this forum for quite a while and registered now. The reason for this is that I visited the gig in De Boerderij on May 10.
I totally agree with Symfoon. TFK was not concentrated, and the volume was much too high. It seems like the too high volume influenced the band's concentration. All the subtelty that TFK is known for was lost in the wall of sound. What a contrast comparing it for example with Instant Delivery.

I was standing just in front of the sound guy, and I found it unbelievable that he did not hear the bad mix of sound, and too high volume. So, indeed, get rid of this guy.

Sorry to be negative in my first post. I really love their music. Since three years I have been listening to all the different cd's. UTF, A&E and SWA are my favourites.
T Ennis

Postby projeKct » 17 May 2014, 21:37

Symfoon wrote:also look around for another drummer (again.....?!)

Yeah, like Wowie, I'm curious about your last sentence... Can you explain?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 18 May 2014, 14:11

I know next to nothing about drumming (except that it has got something to do with hitting things), but - for what's it worth - I was perfectly happy with Felix's performance. Whenever something came up during the show that made me pay special attention to his playing, it was all because I liked what he was bringing to the whole. I rather wish he would stay with the band. 'He's good - isn't he?' was what Mrs NotSteven (who is more attuned to the subtleties of percussion than her rhythmically inept husband) had to say of Herr Lehrmann after the show, and if I were you, I'd take her word for it.
NotSteven

Postby Symfoon » 19 May 2014, 10:38

projeKct wrote:
Symfoon wrote:also look around for another drummer (again.....?!)

Yeah, like Wowie, I'm curious about your last sentence... Can you explain?

O.k. i will, but mind you both it's just my personal taste/opinion - i don't say that i am right and you both are wrong! ;)

I think he is a horrible drummer with an 'ugly' sound and then i mean 'horrible' in the way that he can only hit things very fast and very loud... no matter what he hits
it all sounds quite like a 'maschinegun going off...' I also think he is the main reason i did not like the last gigs that much... he so terribly loud that all the other TFK
members have to be louder also... and that really doesn't do any good to TFK's music in a live setting. Felix in my book is just another 'technical hard hitter' like there
are dozens around these days. The drummer of SoC played Felix' drumset at the gig in Zoetermeer and he was able to get a much better and more 'musical' sound from
the same set... so i guess it's a matter of technique/skills... but i must also say that the SoC performance had a better sound and was not as loud as TFK's set.. so maybe
that also counts in the way you experience a live concert.

If the band wants to keep Felix as their drummer i think the only solution would be to put him behind a plexiglass 'sound barrier' for live shows (you see more bands with great
musicians doing this to prevent the drummer from being to dominant in the overall sound) in that way Felix noises would only be picked up by the mics around/above his drumset
and his sound would be much easier/better to control - provided you have a good soundman who knows what he's doing and not the one TFK brought along on this tour...

As said in my previous message... it's quite insane to be at a TFK show having Roine to ask his own soundman to lower the main volume in the hall... but that's another story i think?
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 19 May 2014, 14:03

[youtube]NXSXNwtZz-U[/youtube]

well, hard to say how much the loudness influenced everything else. But it could be, with high possibility.
maybe the drums were put a bit higher to give the drumkit of felix a better/more accentuated sound, for me it works.

Felix is a very skilled guy imho. His arrangements are very creative and he absolutely isnt a machine gun...
his versatility on all parts of the kit is very high. he plays a lot with rhythms and his cymbals. his dynamic is gorgeous! he puts real life into the sound.
TFK is playing pretty fast at times and doing also some straight rhythms (specially since TSONE), dont forget that.
And inbetween this funky speed, Felix doing all the complex stuff and different things.
The "bad" tone is only coming from his toms i think. Cymbals snare and bass drum are all pretty fine. Bass drum is kind of special but i like it.
His tone is quite natural and ... "sloppy", not hi-def like Garrison, Weckl. Its kind of close to the tone which Roine tried to become with AoM/Wahlgren.
But Felix is better then that, well, i think its only the toms. if you would give em some Portnoy toms, it would be a real competition.
imho, Felix is even more proggy then the rest of tfk, and also more subtle. but the songs must be played in a special vein, and if you mix all those styles and so on, it can be some kind of different every time. Specially at the moment they have to care for so many things, its hard to find a own space were you can stay for a while and build something very consistent. So maybe you know what i mean. A band changes and all songs can change over the time due to different song material, different mebers, different concerts and so on ...
so maybe you hit just the wrong concert this time.
Dont know where the problems were last time?

[youtube]aYd0jwPIUsw[/youtube]
generally, at the moment, i think it sounds just very very fine!!!!
6th n 7th minute, this is just perfect playing
for me this is real zappa'esque!!!
which is not really fitting for very symphonic pieces, so beware of that.
i think Felix is a gorgeous live drummer, you can see at the beg of the 13th minute and til finish.
And it gives a lot (specially jamming'wise and in the jazz context)) to tfk live. maybe not what some want or expect.
wowie

Postby wowie » 19 May 2014, 14:04

oh btw
WELCOME T Ennis!!!!
wowie

Postby wowie » 20 May 2014, 06:46

do you mean such drumkit loudness @15th minute of the SWA+BP vid?
The rim really sounds pretty loud here. So i maybe can imagine what you mean.
wowie

Postby Symfoon » 20 May 2014, 13:33

wowie wrote:do you mean such drumkit loudness @15th minute of the SWA+BP vid?
The rim really sounds pretty loud here. So i maybe can imagine what you mean.

That's partly what i mean indeed... BTW meanwhile i've read two reviews of TFK gig's in Uden/Netherlands (1st gig of the tour) and Bochum/Germany
(where they played different and longer sets obviously than the one in Zoetermeer) on the Progwereldsite and both have about
the same complaints about the sound (bad mix and/or to loud) and Felix' drums being much to dominant when you are close to/in front
of the stage...
Unfortunately the reviews are only in Dutch so of little use to copy here. So my guess is that the people in the UK this time were the Lucky Ones? ;)
In the earlier days of TFK the band most of the time took Petrus Königsson along as their soundtechnician a true genius!, he was able to make the band
sound heavenly even when they had to play a gig in the storagecellar of your own house... :) unfortunately he retired from working with TFK a couple of
years ago due to private circumstances.
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 20 May 2014, 16:04

hmm
so sad that i havent visited a german concert.
maybe we can ask Roine what he thinks about that whole volume issue?
wowie

Postby Symfoon » 21 May 2014, 11:17

wowie wrote:hmm
so sad that i havent visited a german concert.
maybe we can ask Roine what he thinks about that whole volume issue?

Well i know from experience (my 1st TFK live gig was in 1996! ;)) and talks with him over the years that he really cares for this - hence the fact that after
Tower-1 (and re-start of Tower-1 beause Jonas' equipment was not working at all in the beginning) he personally asked his own technicians to lower the
main volume in the hall ('because also i want to have fun tonight..." were his exact words btw).

Ofcourse over the years there have been talks before about this issue and other small or bigger mishaps and most of the times the final answer was/is something like this :
There is simply not enough money to spend to make all things work/sound/rehears 100% right from the start, so that's also why things sometimes can go wrong compared
to other bands which have just more money to spend. That's also why TFK tours usually don't last much longer than 2 or 3 weeks at the max.

Don't know if you know how TFK works?, but infact it is a Roine Stolt 'project' and Jonas, Tomas, Hasse and Felix are 'hired' at a daily rate by Roine to go on the road (or record in the studio)
as TFK. All other expenses involved are for account of Roine only, the rest of the band and crew are just getting paid per day to do their job as long as the tour lasts (as a matter of speaking)
Symfoon

Postby projeKct » 23 May 2014, 04:27

Symfoon wrote:Don't know if you know how TFK works?, but infact it is a Roine Stolt 'project' and Jonas, Tomas, Hasse and Felix are 'hired' at a daily rate by Roine to go on the road (or record in the studio)
as TFK. All other expenses involved are for account of Roine only, the rest of the band and crew are just getting paid per day to do their job as long as the tour lasts (as a matter of speaking)

Interesting... and surprising!

I wonder how can he manage to do this...? Is he so rich? Or does he make a fortune with CD's sales?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Symfoon » 23 May 2014, 11:33

projeKct wrote:Interesting... and surprising!

I wonder how can he manage to do this...? Is he so rich? Or does he make a fortune with CD's sales?

Hahaha... let me make one thing clear, Roine is absolutely not rich... but he can make ends meet. Just like Frank Zappa did
he invests all the money he makes right into the music again. So for that matter i think he's quite happy with f.i. Transatlantic
bringing also some money in.

That's also why all members of TFK do other things in music or in real life besides TFK to feed their families. Hasse
f.i. still has a job at Stockholm Airport if i am not mistaken and Tomas gives lessons as music/piano-teacher Jonas does more or
less the same and he also had his Reingold records company to take care of. I have no knowledge about what Felix Lehrmann
does to pay all of his bills at the end of the month but i know one thing for sure - what he gets paid for playing in TFK is certainly not
enough for keeping him alive untill the next tour or recording.

And to wake you up completely... the best selling TFK album is Unfold the Future and that one sold just about 50.000 copies
world-wide!!, not really an amount which would allow all members of TFK to drive around in a Rolls Royce or even a Mercedes
for that matter... ;)
Symfoon

Postby projeKct » 26 May 2014, 03:35

Very enlightening, thank you Symfoon! :)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Kaipa » 05 Jun 2014, 11:39

Well, i think the concert was great. Last friday 30th May i was at the concert in "de Boederij" from Karmakanic/ the Tangent. It was allso a great concert with good conversations with audience by Jonas and Andy. Wonderfull, hope next time in 2015.

All is filmed for a possible release in 2015.
Kaipa

Postby wowie » 05 Jun 2014, 13:51

great, thanks!
wowie

Postby Symfoon » 10 Jun 2014, 16:05

Kaipa wrote:Well, i think the concert was great. Last friday 30th May i was at the concert in "de Boederij" from Karmakanic/ the Tangent. It was allso a great concert with good conversations with audience by Jonas and Andy. Wonderfull, hope next time in 2015.

All is filmed for a possible release in 2015.

I was at the Tangent/Karmakanic gig to, i small wonder we didn't bump into eachother with only such a small crowd present! ;)
I say you must agree with me that the sound at the Tangent/Karmakanic gig was much much better than a few weeks ago at
the TFK concert?!. Maybe because Morgan Agren is a much more subtile drummer who can actually 'play' music or maybe because
this night we actually had a soundengineer who knew what he was doing ?. Anyway I would love to hear Morgan Agren play with Roine and the 'boyz'
Symfoon

Postby Symfoon » 10 Jun 2014, 16:10

wowie wrote:great, thanks!

Maybe it is also nice to know that both bands played a new track which will appear on their forthcoming album... and maybe it is even nicer to know that the track which Karmakanic played was over 30 minutes long!! :D
Symfoon

Previous

Return to The Flower Kings