Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Spock's Beard - Snow

General discussion about anything your heart desires

Spock's Beard - Snow

Postby Max Power » 20 Dec 2014, 13:57

Any more thoughts on this album?

Particularly the concept. For instance is disc two just a continuation on the story of disc one or something like a parallel universe. How literally can we take the events on the album; is Carrie actually a person or a could she be a representation of Snow's narcissism? Artwork seems to hint towards a crossroad: as if Snow and the listener have to choose which path to take: disc 1 or disc 2. Eventually either path leads to somewhat the same goal: 'Wind at my back'.

Anyway after intensive listening I came to the conclusion that this must really be Spock's beard masterpiece 8-)
Max Power

Re: Spock's Beard - Snow

Postby flowerkingsfan » 27 Jan 2015, 18:24

I LOVE this album! My favorite Spock's Beard album. I think it is a worthy comparison to Tommy/The Who- from the french horn at the beginning to the theme of a flawed messiah. Neil Morse's swan song with them has so many wonderful parts that I can listen to over and over. :D
P.S. I do think Carrie is a person, and disc two is a continuation of the story on disc one, with Snow's realization of who he actually is.
flowerkingsfan

Postby Chessman » 29 Jan 2015, 23:42

A good album, but not in my top three SB albums ;)
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 19 Jun 2015, 22:32

I hope I don't snow on anyone's parade when I say that Snow is the only Spock's Beard album that I don't like very much.
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 20 Jun 2015, 14:56

NotSteven wrote:I hope I don't snow on anyone's parade when I say that Snow is the only Spock's Beard album that I don't like very much.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't like it very much, but there are some songs on there that are too harsh and aggressive for me. Some excellent tracks too, but all in all it does come across as a bit disjointed.
(However, if you wanted to discuss Spock's Beard albums with prog fans in general, 'Snow' would be a great starting point to break the ice......I'll get my coat too... :D )
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 20 Jun 2015, 19:15

Chessman wrote:-- if you wanted to discuss Spock's Beard albums with prog fans in general, 'Snow' would be a great starting point to break the ice...

That's as it may be, but I'm afraid the ice is snowed under and I'm not at all sure if it's worth the bother to shovel it off...
NotSteven

Postby projeKct » 20 Jun 2015, 19:29

NotSteven wrote:
Chessman wrote:-- if you wanted to discuss Spock's Beard albums with prog fans in general, 'Snow' would be a great starting point to break the ice...

That's as it may be, but I'm afraid the ice is snowed under and I'm not at all sure if it's worth the bother to shovel it off...

This album leaves me cold... :roll:
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 21 Jun 2015, 10:19

projeKct wrote:This album leaves me cold... :roll:

You'd better get your coat, too...
NotSteven

Postby projeKct » 21 Jun 2015, 13:51

NotSteven wrote:
projeKct wrote:This album leaves me cold... :roll:

You'd better get your coat, too...

Thanks for suggesting to get my (winter) coat...

Just to be clear... I was (of course) joking! :)

It's hard to explain why I don't like Snow as much as the previous SB albums, but there some very good stuff on it anyway!
projeKct
Site Admin

Return to Flower Power