Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Steve Hackett 2017...

General discussion about anything your heart desires

Steve Hackett 2017...

Postby projeKct » 04 Feb 2017, 04:37

Is it just me...?

... I think that Steve is going down... and down...

I am (was) a big fan of him... but everything post-2008 is very... I don't know... irritating? bland? mediocre?

Always the same patterns/sounds/production...

What do you think?
projeKct
Site Admin

Re: Steve Hackett 2017...

Postby wowie » 05 Feb 2017, 10:01

hhhmmmm ... i never was a big fan of hackett ... he got some nice tracks but mostly 80% of the tracks on his albums are ... not very interesting for me
i think he is quite ambitious at his work but im missing the love ... the emotions

this track is very ambitious imho ... but he always falls in such a dark industrial atmosphere ... i dont know ... i need more light and nature ... and human ...
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Chessman » 06 Feb 2017, 23:09

I don't think he's going down, I still enjoy and admire his output. Maybe you could say he is repeating himself a bit at times, and can sometimes sound 'samey', ie, the sort of eastern style influence he often seems to employ. Nevertheless, let's be honest, he far outstrips his ex band mates from Genesis, and has done for a long, long time. None of them come close to him these days for either quality or quantity. :|
Chessman

Postby Symfoon » 08 Feb 2017, 15:27

I think Steve's main 'problem' now is far too much output in a relatively very short period of time, so there's a very big 'heard it all once or twice before' risk popping up with every new album he's releasing....
in addition i must say that i am not particulary fond of the very 'dark sounding' productions of his last few studio albums which were all actually recorded in Roger King's living room. Maybe it's time Steve
should book a real studio again and ask someone from 'outside' to take care of the recording and production... it might do wonders for us all. BTW i did buy a ticket for his upcoming concert in Zoetermeer
because live it's still a treat to see and hear him play....
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby projeKct » 09 Feb 2017, 03:38

Symfoon wrote:in addition i must say that i am not particulary fond of the very 'dark sounding' productions of his last few studio albums which were all actually recorded in Roger King's living room. Maybe it's time Steve should book a real studio again and ask someone from 'outside' to take care of the recording and production... it might do wonders for us all.

You're so right about that!

Since 2009 (Out of the Tunnel's Mouth), the production is poor, dull, monotonous. It lacks dynamics. And I think guest vocalists would be welcome too!
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Symfoon » 09 Feb 2017, 14:19

projeKct wrote:Since 2009 (Out of the Tunnel's Mouth), the production is poor, dull, monotonous. It lacks dynamics. And I think guest vocalists would be welcome too!

Couple of weeks ago i saw some footage of Steve actually visiting a friend's studio.... (a friend of Steve's that is) he was consulting him for some additional mixing and/or
mastering on the forthcoming album. It seems Roger King is very much in favour of a 'portable sound' i.e. he thinks music should sound great on 'modern stuff' like Ipods, mobilephones
and laptops instead of HiFi systems used by 'real' musiclovers at home (there seem to be still a few alive on planet earth these days.. ;))... It looks like Steve took at least some
notice of complaints about the sound of his last few albums...

Agree with you on the guest vocalists... as long as you don't mean Nad Sylvan with this.. :D ;) i think we all can agree on the fact that Steve is still a great guitarist but always has
been some sort of poor leadvocalist...
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby projeKct » 10 Feb 2017, 00:42

Symfoon wrote:Agree with you on the guest vocalists... as long as you don't mean Nad Sylvan with this.. :D ;) i think we all can agree on the fact that Steve is still a great guitarist but always has been some sort of poor leadvocalist...

Well, you can notice the "s" in vocalists... 8-)
projeKct
Site Admin

Return to Flower Power