Switch to full style
The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings
Post a reply

TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

02 Feb 2017, 12:01

Interview with Roine : "Are there any plans with regard to the Flower Kings? Is their status still on hold or is Flower Kings history?

No plan at the moment – but never say never. However chances are slim for the coming five years. But we have a new very interesting project for 2017 – we work very hard on the songwriting – and are just about to assemble the new “all star” band.

Full interview here : http://www.betreutesproggen.de/2017/02/ ... =hootsuite

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

03 Feb 2017, 00:33

Interesting interview, thank you!

A bit sad/uncertain about the future of TFK, but we cannot "force" them to make good music! :roll:

Now I wonder who will be involved in this mysterious "all-star band" !?!

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

03 Feb 2017, 12:40

for the upcoming five years ... sounds like he has a lot ideas for other stuff ...

and that allstar thing ... hmmm .. .think about an Anderson/Hackett/Stolt/Trewavas/DVirgilio project .... oh my prog!!! :D

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

06 Feb 2017, 18:59

Neo prog all star could be anybody!!!
Roine has been rubbing elbows with some royalty so it could be anyone!!!
I hope Nads is not the frontperson of this band. He looks like a sad old women.
At the same time Jon Anderson is a narcissist elf whose voice is morphing into an 8 year old boy with a bad head cold!

My point is recycled prog can sound tired.

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

08 Feb 2017, 15:12

One out of two Kaipa da Capo gigs in The Netherlands is cancelled due to very poor ticketsales..... Maybe a new TFK tour would draw much more Dutch progheads to the various venues
and might even lead to an extra show... :idea: ;) A new all-star progband? ehhm... Trans Europe Express perhaps?! :lol:

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

10 Feb 2017, 10:27

wowie wrote:for the upcoming five years ... sounds like he has a lot ideas for other stuff ...

and that allstar thing ... hmmm .. .think about an Anderson/Hackett/Stolt/Trewavas/DVirgilio project .... oh my prog!!! :D


Within 5 years Roine will be at his 'retirement age' also.... ;) so in that respect i really wonder if a new TFK album will ever see the
light of day... Also you (we) must consider the fact that TFK is (or was) a Roine Stolt project which was costing him money most of
the time while with all these 'project things stuff' he is considerably earning some money. I would not even be suprised if/when playing
bass on tour with Hackett f.i. resulted in the highest revenues in his whole career till now...

Also with 3 'members' now living outside of Sweden it won't be easy to get TFK (re)started again.... that is if Roine would decide to continue
with the same musicians in the 1st place... in that respect i think it's fair to say that at this moment the future of TFK is at least a little bit doubtfull.. :?:

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

12 Feb 2017, 10:07

yes you are right on every point ... but on the other side ... i think its his lifetime achievement project ... and it will never die ... point ;)
its just the best ... and its way to early to bring it to rest!
If you see what Robert Fripp is doing ... Roine can do this by far! :mrgreen:
I wonder if Mr Fripp is also a tee lover ... magic tee!
I hope there will be an acoustic guitar phase somehow in the future ...
Yes i know im dreaming ... but seriously ;)

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

14 Feb 2017, 15:13

Roine seems even more pessimistic about the future of the Flower Kings in this interview:
http://www.progshine.net/2017/01/interv ... usive.html

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

14 Feb 2017, 17:10

[quote="**örn-Ola"]Roine seems even more pessimistic about the future of the Flower Kings in this interview:
http://www.progshine.net/2017/01/interv ... usive.html


:(

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

21 Feb 2017, 15:43

20 hours ago on facebook:
Tomas posted THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE and stated:
"I guess this song explains everything. My long time Dear friend Pale Rider created a statement,
Not a new one, just a fairly new costume, still beautiful:)
The Orange Tour has new perspective!"

it could be about Donald Trump but im not sure ...

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

22 Feb 2017, 18:21

wowie wrote:20 hours ago on facebook:

The Orange Tour has new perspective!"

it could be about Donald Trump but im not sure ...


Not 100% sure but i seem to recall that aroud the days/times of 'Tour Kaputt' Roine once posted a message on
the TFK mailing-list with the request to dress in orange as much as possible when you came to see the band... :roll: :?

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

10 Mar 2017, 19:29

Thanks to everyone for posting these interviews, which I hadn't seen - they're *very* interesting.

While the TFK news is sad, it's not surprising, given what I've read in other interviews, and also just from their last few albums. While there is no limit to what those musicians are capable of, it seems that in the form of the Flower Kings, they had fallen into a limited range (just IMHO), and were not achieving the heights that they had previously.

I'm actually more saddened by the lack of any movement on Transatlantic, whose "Bridge Across Forever" (and its live counterpart, "Bridge Across Europe") is still my favorite prog album of all time. I was heartened to see 3/4ths of Transatlantic play on the recent Cruise to the Edge, I hope that inspires the other members to make time in their schedule to re-commit to that band, which, like TFK, is a set of musicians with no limits on what they could achieve if they don't put constraints on themselves (such as the "let's knock an album out with whatever we can do in a week" strategy).

The other thing I'm hoping is that Roine's experience with "the big boys" like Steve Hackett (which I'm glad to hear was a good touring experience for him, both musically and financially) and Jon Anderson will inspire Roine to find another outlet that really does aim high, and not have to settle for something less. Here's hoping that this new "secret" prog supergroup is something wonderful...

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

13 Apr 2017, 11:27

News from the "master"... :)

Roine wrote:As for hoping to see TFK - of course a beautiful thing too - for many of you - So keep hoping and keep listening.
As of now - chances to see TFK recording or playing live in near future are very slim.
Life moves on - in new directions - Just like you, I wanna be thrilled and see new creative meetings -
that’s what I hope my fellow TFK bandmates will do too. Be progressing.

As a small service to you - our fans - Inside Out/Century Media/Sony will release one of our most loved double album as vinyl later this year - ( CD’s will be included plus extended artwork.)
I have now almost finished remixing about 60 minutes plus of this album and can tell it sounds great - and when I say great I mean it-
it is not a PR shout - I listen to the remixes - 24bit /96 kHz and it blows my mind how great this album is - how great the band plays ….etc.
TFK @ the peak imho.

We want it to be a treat - not just a quick re-release of the same master.
Our fans deserve the best - therefor I’ve spent almost 2 weeks of unpaid work to make it better for YOU.
24 bit/96 khz - much air more dynamics - and all filters are smooth and compression now moderate.

So keep your hopes on new things from TFK low - but keep your eyes open for this gem.

Now back to mix.

Roine.

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

17 Apr 2017, 07:04

Great ... i definitely need a tfk vinyl ... quite a lot into it the last month ...

So ... UTF or PH?

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

17 Apr 2017, 16:15

wowie wrote:So ... UTF or PH?

My guess would be UTF, because it really is TFK at their peak (in terms of musicianship). Also UTF sounds very compressed to my ears, so more dynamics would be nice!

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

18 Apr 2017, 09:33

projeKct wrote:
wowie wrote:So ... UTF or PH?

My guess would be UTF, because it really is TFK at their peak (in terms of musicianship). Also UTF sounds very compressed to my ears, so more dynamics would be nice!


Well considering the lenght of those albums i'll guess we're talking an expensive 3 or 4 lp set then?.. ;) and speaking of lengthy albums it could just as well be Flower Power... :D but i think
i would put my money on UtF as well... :roll:

Furthermore in a reaction on Roine's post i got this one send via a friend of mine :

Tomas:
I think as Roine said, there is a time for everything.
But from my heart I feel, it would be a gracious thing to do a last farewell tour.
Mostly to say thank you to all fans out there being faithful and supportive.
Secondly just for my ego having fun.
So lets make things happen?
Imagine a last tour with Garden of Dreams, Stardust we are, Truth will set you free and more.
This is just my flip of the coin.
Best//Tomas

Although personally i wonder if it would ever come this far..., as TFK is a Roine Stolt project and he's responsible for all costs involved,
looking at the last tours where they hardly played completely sold-out shows i wonder i he would be willing to make a loss on a farewell
tour as well. I mean Tomas can easily say that he wants to do a tour (because he will be paid for it by Roine.. ;)) know what i mean?? :twisted:

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

24 Apr 2017, 11:50

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:43 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Roine Stolt" roine.stolt



At the age of 60 - I simply feel the need/urge to explore other avenues -
Much of TFK was fabulous - many great memories - many great songs - much fun
but a band is not a marriage.
Everyone is free to explore other avenues and has done so - Karmakanic - HFMC - Barracuda - Transatlantic etc..

Not saying it has come to a definite end.
Just need to do other things - and I?m more busy than ever - hoping the other guys are too.
Doing the same thing for 30 years is not progressing.

I started The Flower Kings in 1994 as a vehicle for my more obscure songwriting - it took on a life
and a live band was formed - Many musicians have been in the lineup over the years and have contributed.
In reality TFK music itself can be played by other musicians - but yes it?s my baby & my business, no doubt,
so I feel I have the right to decide when and where it shall be performed - I won?t play just for the money,
life is too short not to have fun with it.

Now : Finishing a remix / remaster of one of the most loved TFK albums - this will keep you busy soon.
Soon : new Anderson Stolt recordings?

Hope that explains some of your concerns.

Music is still there for you all to enjoy.

Roine.

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

25 Apr 2017, 10:45

projeKct wrote:
wowie wrote:So ... UTF or PH?

My guess would be UTF, because it really is TFK at their peak (in terms of musicianship). Also UTF sounds very compressed to my ears, so more dynamics would be nice!


Ehhh i hope you do realise that UTF 'as we know it' is already a full remix/remaster of the original album which was, due to technical circumstances at the pressing plant, infact never released
some of us have heard the original album though and have always preferred that version compared to the one which most of us know as 'THE' ultimate TFK album.... ;)

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

25 Apr 2017, 12:23

Symfoon wrote:
projeKct wrote:
wowie wrote:So ... UTF or PH?

My guess would be UTF, because it really is TFK at their peak (in terms of musicianship). Also UTF sounds very compressed to my ears, so more dynamics would be nice!


Ehhh i hope you do realise that UTF 'as we know it' is already a full remix/remaster of the original album which was, due to technical circumstances at the pressing plant, infact never released some of us have heard the original album though and have always preferred that version compared to the one which most of us know as 'THE' ultimate TFK album.... ;)

Yes I do... ;)

But both versions sound "compressed" to me, I would call them: early mix, and final mix (with more instrumentation).

So I hope to hear a third mix for this album, with more dynamics. For example, I think the "Adam & Eve" album sounds fantastic! and "The Black Forest" also.

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

26 Apr 2017, 21:28

Is this referring to the Promo version of UtF that has a different mix from final mix that we know? I heard that but I thought it was more of a early mix and not completed, I just remember noticing things 'missing' from it (like some guitar parts on Solitary Shell and the whistle at the start of Devil's Playground) - do you really prefer it - maybe I need to compare more closely.

projeKct mentioned Adam & Eve and I was just listening to that this morning and totally agree it sounds great! If Roine can get UtF to sound like that then we are really in for a treat. Jonas in particular never sounded better than on that album, the bass sound is fantastic.

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

27 Apr 2017, 02:09

srs wrote:Is this referring to the Promo version of UtF that has a different mix from final mix that we know? I heard that but I thought it was more of a early mix and not completed, I just remember noticing things 'missing' from it (like some guitar parts on Solitary Shell and the whistle at the start of Devil's Playground)

You are 100% right on this. This promo version sounds "incomplete". Even "The Devil's Danceschool" doesn't sound right... the trumpet is not in sync! But, it's fun to listen to!

So i would like to hear another mix (the "definitive" mix) for the whole UTF album...

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

28 Apr 2017, 09:14

projeKct wrote:
srs wrote:Is this referring to the Promo version of UtF that has a different mix from final mix that we know? I heard that but I thought it was more of a early mix and not completed, I just remember noticing things 'missing' from it (like some guitar parts on Solitary Shell and the whistle at the start of Devil's Playground)

You are 100% right on this. This promo version sounds "incomplete". Even "The Devil's Danceschool" doesn't sound right... the trumpet is not in sync! But, it's fun to listen to!

So i would like to hear another mix (the "definitive" mix) for the whole UTF album...


ofcourse you both noticed 'missing things' on the original version.... that's because you/we/everyone is used to the 'fully plastered' version of UtF being 'the' album... but this version
only saw the light of day because of the fact that Inside Out's pressing plant went down for a couple of weeks because of mechanical failures... had this not been the case than the
'promo version' would have been 'the' album....

So when Inside Out's pressingplant was up and running again it was decided that the copies already pressed would not be thrown away but would go out as 'promo versions' (maybe
just over a thousand orso..) and the 'new edited version' made mainly by Roine and Tomas would be the 'definite' verson of the album...

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

28 Apr 2017, 11:24

Symfoon wrote:
projeKct wrote:
srs wrote:Is this referring to the Promo version of UtF that has a different mix from final mix that we know? I heard that but I thought it was more of a early mix and not completed, I just remember noticing things 'missing' from it (like some guitar parts on Solitary Shell and the whistle at the start of Devil's Playground)

You are 100% right on this. This promo version sounds "incomplete". Even "The Devil's Danceschool" doesn't sound right... the trumpet is not in sync! But, it's fun to listen to!

So i would like to hear another mix (the "definitive" mix) for the whole UTF album...


ofcourse you both noticed 'missing things' on the original version.... that's because you/we/everyone is used to the 'fully plastered' version of UtF being 'the' album... but this version
only saw the light of day because of the fact that Inside Out's pressing plant went down for a couple of weeks because of mechanical failures... had this not been the case than the
'promo version' would have been 'the' album....

So when Inside Out's pressingplant was up and running again it was decided that the copies already pressed would not be thrown away but would go out as 'promo versions' (maybe
just over a thousand orso..) and the 'new edited version' made mainly by Roine and Tomas would be the 'definite' verson of the album...

Here are additional comments from Roine about it:

it was because I was unhappy and we were rushed by the release date from record company -
but I managed to do some extra work plus new mixes for many songs - after the promos were sent out .

that’s why it is different
I prefer ofcourse the later “correct” version . (that all people have- except press)


And, by the way, UTF is the only album with a "promo" version that differs from the final release...

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

04 May 2017, 13:26

@projeKcT
was this quote from Roine from a recent interview?, as some 15 years ago the story was a bit different obviously... my comment is based on an interview
he did with SI Magazine (what today is called IoPages) ;)

Re: TFK : No plan for the 5 years to come !

07 May 2017, 02:31

Symfoon wrote:@projeKcT
was this quote from Roine from a recent interview?, as some 15 years ago the story was a bit different obviously... my comment is based on an interview
he did with SI Magazine (what today is called IoPages) ;)

This is from a private email from Roine... sent November 8th, 2016.
Post a reply