Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

THE FLOWER KINGS 20th Anniversary Tour

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

THE FLOWER KINGS 20th Anniversary Tour

Postby projeKct » 21 Sep 2013, 13:21

Yesterday, Roine wrote that:

Hey - don't forget THE FLOWER KINGS 20th Anniversary Tour -

It'll be something a bit different - something special - old & new and with guests.

It will be around mid April - Mid May i Europe then rest of world during late summer .

:)
projeKct
Site Admin

Re: THE FLOWER KINGS 20th Anniversary Tour

Postby sard0nicpan » 21 Sep 2013, 19:18

Greetings to alll, as a first time poster.

As a 51 year who grew up to the magic of Yes, ELP, King Crimson et al, and has only recently discovered The Flower Kings I may have to get my passport ready. Unfortunately, living in the US (that hates all things prog, and is the land of the tone deaf), I highly doubt it is worth it to the band to bring their music to US shores. Put it this way, I have only recently discovered Swedish prog (TFK, Pain of Salvation, Transatlantic and Arena), and that was through my following of Dream Theater that keyed me in that prog was still alive and well in Europe.

If they hit Spain, I will definitely be there, as I have property in Torrevieja (Alicante) and can make it more of a holiday on the cheap (only a 6-8 hour jaunt to Madrid).
sard0nicpan

Postby Chessman » 21 Sep 2013, 20:48

sard0nicpan wrote:Greetings to alll, as a first time poster.

As a 51 year who grew up to the magic of Yes, ELP, King Crimson et al, and has only recently discovered The Flower Kings I may have to get my passport ready. Unfortunately, living in the US (that hates all things prog, and is the land of the tone deaf), I highly doubt it is worth it to the band to bring their music to US shores. Put it this way, I have only recently discovered Swedish prog (TFK, Pain of Salvation, Transatlantic and Arena), and that was through my following of Dream Theater that keyed me in that prog was still alive and well in Europe.

If they hit Spain, I will definitely be there, as I have property in Torrevieja (Alicante) and can make it more of a holiday on the cheap (only a 6-8 hour jaunt to Madrid).

Greetings Sard0nicpan! Always nice to 'see' a new face here.If you like TFK and Swedish prog, you'll absolutely love Kaipa, both the old and new versions of the band. In case you didn't know, Kaipa were big in the mid seventies and Roine Stolt was their guitarist! Give them a listen. Fantastic stuff! ;)
Chessman

Postby Symfoon » 22 Sep 2013, 11:06

sard0nicpan wrote:I highly doubt it is worth it to the band to bring their music to US shores.

Hi and welcome to the group!! :)

You could/would be surpised!, The Flower Kings already toured the USA on quite a 'regular' basis (and always on a basis
of serious losses btw ;)) but despite that they don't want to forget their fans on the other side of the pond.

It's quite sure that they will come to the USA again in 2014 to play some concerts!. just don't expect a large scale full 2 months long tour
across the USA. They mostly only can afford to play 15 to 20 shows in The USA and Canada due to high expenses (travelling/hotels/working
permits etc) in combination with minimum income (small audiences in combination with venues totally unknown with prog(audiences). A
regular (serious) question from venue-owners in the USA is therefore : "How much beer do these folks actually drink on an evening when
they come to see a show....? " :mrgreen:
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby projeKct » 23 Sep 2013, 01:50

Hi sard0nicpan,

Here's a list of the best Swedish prog albums, according to Progarchives...

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-al ... 2&y=9#list

Btw, Arena is from UK, not from Sweden...

;)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby progtastic mate » 23 Sep 2013, 12:19

Something to look forward to next year. I hope they make it to the UK.

Unless they come to Sheffield - where I'm from - i have to drive, so won't drink any beer. Which sounds a good arguement for them coming the sheffield to me (spock's managed it this year) 560,000 people live in Sheffield, 1.5 million in South yorkshire (the county we are in), just off the M1. Well, i can dream can't I?

Sounds exciting where ever they come to.
Don't ask me, I'm just making it up as i go along
progtastic mate

Postby sard0nicpan » 23 Sep 2013, 12:50

projeKct wrote:Btw, Arena is from UK, not from Sweden...
;)

Ooops! :shock:
sard0nicpan

Postby sard0nicpan » 23 Sep 2013, 12:51

Symfoon wrote:
sard0nicpan wrote:I highly doubt it is worth it to the band to bring their music to US shores.

Hi and welcome to the group!! :)

You could/would be surpised!, The Flower Kings already toured the USA on quite a 'regular' basis (and always on a basis
of serious losses btw ;)) but despite that they don't want to forget their fans on the other side of the pond.
" :mrgreen:

Thanks! Here's hoping!
sard0nicpan

Postby sard0nicpan » 23 Sep 2013, 12:53

Chessman wrote:
Greetings Sard0nicpan! Always nice to 'see' a new face here.If you like TFK and Swedish prog, you'll absolutely love Kaipa, both the old and new versions of the band. In case you didn't know, Kaipa were big in the mid seventies and Roine Stolt was their guitarist! Give them a listen. Fantastic stuff! ;)

I'll definitely try to get my hands on some Kaipa, most likely via downloads as the few record stores left in the States likely won't catalogue the band.

Thanks much.

SP
sard0nicpan

Postby wowie » 23 Sep 2013, 13:05

exact LIVE anniversary date is the 20th of August, so maybe more luck for you Americans this time ;)
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Björn-Ola » 23 Sep 2013, 14:34

sard0nicpan: "Agents of Mercy" is Roines band too. They sound a little bit more like Genesis, because of the singer, Nad Sylvan. He sounds like a young Peter Gabriel. He is touring with Steve Hackett right now.
Björn-Ola

Postby projeKct » 24 Sep 2013, 02:17

sard0nicpan wrote:
Chessman wrote:

I'll definitely try to get my hands on some Kaipa, most likely via downloads as the few record stores left in the States likely won't catalogue the band.

Thanks much.

SP

May I suggest you to get them via Grooves-inc? They have the 6 latest Kaipa CD's at very low prices. You can trust this store, I'm always happy with the service... For example, you would get 3 Kaipa CD's for about $32, S&H to USA included! I can recommend you: 1) Notes From The Past, 2) Keyholder, 3) In The Wake Of Evolution.
http://www.grooves-inc.com/
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Max Power » 24 Sep 2013, 11:54

projeKct wrote:Hi sard0nicpan,

Here's a list of the best Swedish prog albums, according to Progarchives...

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-al ... 2&y=9#list

Btw, Arena is from UK, not from Sweden...

;)

The first 6 are overrated 8-)
Max Power

Postby Max Power » 13 Oct 2013, 17:44

Just received a message from Mr Reingold;

The Unexpected Christmas Progparty:

The Flower Kings and Daniel Gildenlöw & Friends - Musikens hus - Gothenburgh Dec 19

'The Flower Kings with a brand new album Desolation Rose in the trunk and Daniel Gildenlöw with friends from Pain of Salvation will make sure that this evening will be, fantastic, bombastic, progtastic, don´t miss this special evening of progextravaganza!!!'
Max Power

Postby wowie » 14 Oct 2013, 11:18

enjoy!!!
im extremely curious for the setlist!!!
wowie

Postby Max Power » 14 Oct 2013, 14:23

Adam & Eve and UTF in their entirety would be nice :D
... and a DVD release of the full show!!
Max Power

Postby wowie » 14 Oct 2013, 15:32

yeah, exactly .... we should start a petition for that :D
wowie

Postby progtastic mate » 16 Oct 2013, 16:58

Max Power wrote:Just received a message from Mr Reingold;

The Unexpected Christmas Progparty:

The Flower Kings and Daniel Gildenlöw & Friends - Musikens hus - Gothenburgh Dec 19

'The Flower Kings with a brand new album Desolation Rose in the trunk and Daniel Gildenlöw with friends from Pain of Salvation will make sure that this evening will be, fantastic, bombastic, progtastic, don´t miss this special evening of progextravaganza!!!'

I'm glad they are thinking of me, but i don't think i'll be able to get to Gothenburg
progtastic mate

Postby Symfoon » 28 Nov 2013, 10:13

O.k. 1st gig is booked according to info received this morning

Sat. 10th May 2014 - De Boerderij - Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

btw as support act :

Daniël Gildenlöw & Friends - Playing the music of Pian of Salvation.....

That looks as if it's going to be a great night of music.... and i'll be there! :mrgreen:
Symfoon

Postby Max Power » 28 Nov 2013, 13:08

Symfoon wrote:O.k. 1st gig is booked according to info received this morning

Sat. 10th May 2014 - De Boerderij - Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

btw as support act :

Daniël Gildenlöw & Friends - Playing the music of Pian of Salvation.....

That looks as if it's going to be a great night of music.... and i'll be there! :mrgreen:

Could be interesting, any good hotel in the neighborhood ^^?
Max Power

Postby Symfoon » 29 Nov 2013, 17:20

Max Power wrote:Could be interesting, any good hotel in the neighborhood ^^?

Golden Tulip - Zoetermeer, it's at a reasonable distance from the venue and when you inform
them that your booking is in connection with a concert at De Boerderij they will grant you a
10% rebate ;).

It's likely btw that Daniël Gildenlöw & Friends will be a sort of 'support-act' for the upcoming tour
and that they will actually also join in during (parts of) the TFK performance as extra bandmembers....
at least these 'rumours' are going round and round and round at this very moment ;)
Symfoon

Postby progtastic mate » 02 Dec 2013, 14:21

Fingers crossed for a May tour, I hope they make it to the UK again.
progtastic mate

Postby hardlanding » 02 Dec 2013, 18:44

sard0nicpan wrote:I have only recently discovered Swedish prog (TFK, Pain of Salvation, Transatlantic and Arena), and that was through my following of Dream Theater that keyed me in that prog was still alive and well in Europe..

If you're only now discovering Transatlantic, make sure to check out where it all started: Spock's Beard. The original Neal Morse era (1995-2002) helped kick off the "prog resurgence", and frankly, was the first band that ever convinced me that there would be life after Genesis and Yes. :-)

Since you're already a Dream Theater fan: it was because Mike Portnoy liked Spock's Beard so much that he had them open for Dream Theater back in 2000, which gave them some visibility, and also started the Portnoy-Morse friendship that spawned Transatlantic (and lots of other projects together).

If you like prog, you can't go wrong with Spock's Beard's original "The Light" and what most consider their most popular, "V". But all 6 original albums (from "The Light" to "Snow") are great. (And their latest album from this year with Ted Leonard from Enchant as lead singer is great as well.)

Also, Transatlantic is touring the US in February to support their soon-to-drop new album.
hardlanding

Postby wowie » 03 Dec 2013, 14:25

totally second this one ^^ :D

btw
would love to hear Monsters & Men (they can leave out the last 5 minutes) and Adam & Eve (the song, Hasse has to do Daniels part for the shows without him) live
:D
wowie

Postby Symfoon » 17 Dec 2013, 14:35

Max Power wrote:Adam & Eve and UTF in their entirety would be nice :D
... and a DVD release of the full show!!

I fear that won't be happening as Roine intends to play (large)parts of Desolation Rose on the upcoming
tour as well.... and bearing in mind he already thinks the Transatlantic shows are a bit to long for
his taste... a full reproduction of UTF and A&E in combination with pieces from DS would make these
upcoming TFK shows even longer than a 'regular' TA-gig ;)
Symfoon

Postby Björn-Ola » 20 Dec 2013, 15:19

Gothenburg, Musikens hus:

Daniel had an acoustic set with two friends performing very diverse songs. It lasted for about one hour.
For example: a beautiful acoustic version of “Mad world” (Tears for Fears) and “New York, New York”. They even performed some Christmas songs.
They also played a song from a forthcoming acoustic album.

Daniel did not play with the Flower Kings, like in the old days. That was a perhaps a disappointment.

If you don’t want to know about TFK:s set list, you have to close your eyes now, if you continue to read!

Tower One
Desolation Road
Rising the Imperial
A short passage of drum and bass solo
My cosmic Lover
Resurrected Judas

A medley from early albums:
Stardust we are, part 1
Some instrumental parts from Back in the world of adventure and the end of “Big Puzzle
The last part of “Garden of Dreams”.

Encore:
Numbers

Then Daniel and friends joined TFK and they performed “Life on Mars”

For me, it was the medley that was the high point. I don’t believe this set list will survive, because they played Numbers and Rising the Imperial on the previous tours, and it has lost the freshness, I think. They will probably have more time to rehearse other songs before the tour. I did expect more songs from the new album.

A great evening!
Björn-Ola

Postby Max Power » 23 Dec 2013, 22:54

[youtube]Fqqq_wQhCXo[/youtube]
Max Power

Postby NotSteven » 01 Feb 2014, 19:06

I see the spring tour dates are beginning to crop up here and there...

27 April, Zeche, Bochum, Germany
28 April, Konzertfabrik Z7, Pratteln, Switzerland
30 April, Salle du Kao, Lyon, France
6 May, Le Trabendo, Paris, France
8 May, O2 Academy Islington, London, UK
9 May, The Assembly, Leamington Spa, UK
10 May, De Boerderij, Zoetermeer, Netherlands
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby Symfoon » 11 Mar 2014, 10:39

Hi all,
the word goes around that the upcoming tour with Pain of Salvation is not going to happen due to the
fact that Daniël's recovery is going slower than expected. In any way he will not be fit enough to
go on tour, travel and play music night after night. Rumour goes that there will be other bands
'supporting' TFK on this upcoming tour and those bands taking over the 'support' from Pain of Salvation
would be Karmakanic and Sound of Contact... Not a bad choice at all if this would be really the case!!
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 12 Mar 2014, 15:55

hmmmm, interesting.... karmakanic would be great, specially if we could enjoy felix AND marcus!!!
i have a big disposition to go to the Zoetermeer gig ...
wowie

Next

Return to The Flower Kings