Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The Flower Kings dead?

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

The Flower Kings dead?

Postby Björn-Ola » 01 Oct 2016, 15:18

From an interview:
"9. Please tell us about your future musical plans. Do you have any closing words for our readers?

ROINE: My immidiate plan is to start promotion of the KAIPA Da Capo album “Dårskapens Monotoni” that is released on October 10th.
It is kind of a retro project in many ways - these are the guys with whom I made my first record in 1975 !! Now we are back 40 years later …
We also finished a short tour in Sweden and have live shows coming up this fall - and a europen tour coming in February. Besides that I have also just started to look into new material and ideas that Jon Anderson sent me. It will keep me busy. But as the workaholic I am I will still start up a brand new band project that will see the light of day in 2017."

No plans for a new album with the Flower Kings then. Will they ever make a new album?
Björn-Ola

Re: The Flower Kings dead?

Postby projeKct » 02 Oct 2016, 03:16

Mmmmmmmmmmm... It seems like each member has a solo project... Anderson/Stolt + Kaipa DaCapo + new band, Karmakanic, The Fringe, HFMC, Tomas Bodin solo, etc.

But TFK have always been greater than the sum of its parts... So I don't have good feelings about this interview... :?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby hardlanding » 04 Oct 2016, 06:41

This is indeed a sad interview. Not only is the Flower Kings nowhere to be seen, but he confirms my worst fears about Transatlantic:

Transatlantic is a weird story - it is really not an existing band per se. - more of a whim project - I have no clue as to when or if we will ever do more albums - or play again live. I think in a way it is sad that the band was never given a chance to fully bloom - we were offered lot’s of cool and well paid gigs but turned them down - that’s a strange situation - never seen in any band I’ve been - on a good day we are fabulous live. The blueprint looks lovely but the heart and soul of such a band looks a bit fractured to me - in my mind the collective can bloom when everyone surrender to the music and love & respect.

It's probably a question of scheduling - Roine's been playing with Steve Hackett, Pete Trewavas has been busy with Marillion, Mike Portnoy is busy with everything, and Neal goes off and does another prog concept album, this time as the "Neal Morse Band", and Mike Portnoy is touting it as their masterpiece. It makes me sad that it's not Transatlantic that's putting out prog concept album masterpieces. I also remember an interview from Roine after their last album, where he was lamenting that the album was good, but could have been great if they'd just put more time into it. I have to assume that it's just not a priority for Neal & Mike, which is a shame.

By the way, for anyone else who's reading this topic (is anyone else visiting this forum?), the interview can be found here: http://www.der-hoerspiegel.de/portal/interview/musiker/roine-stolt-the-good-force-in-prog
hardlanding

Postby projeKct » 04 Oct 2016, 12:40

Thanks for the link!

There was a long hiatus from 2002 to 2008... so you never know with Transatlantic!

... And I come to the forum every day! ;)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 07 Oct 2016, 11:38

projeKct wrote:There was a long hiatus from 2002 to 2008... so you never know with Transatlantic!

...and The Flower Kings themselves laid rather low during the years between The Sum of No Evil and Banks of Eden, so I wouldn't give up hope on them either. Besides, I can't see any "new band project" by Roine necessarily sideline The Flower Kings completely any more than Agents of Mercy (or Transatlantic, for that matter) did. C'mon, the man is, by his own admission, a workaholic - he is bound to have several outlets for his creativity. Who (except maybe the few of us who hang around here) would want a new Flower Kings album every six months?
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby hardlanding » 10 Oct 2016, 02:28

I'm interested to see what effect (if any) spending the past year playing Genesis/Steve Hackett music live (and being on stage with Nad Sylvan the entire time) will have on Roine.

Just some personal opinions here: of Roine's output over the past 5 years, I've found that what holds up best for me is (surprise) Agents of Mercy's The Black Forest. I say that's a surprise because (a) I really like Roine's voice and there's not much of it on TBF, and (b) I didn't enjoy the previous AoM releases, as much as I tried to. But TBF really rocks, and its very coherent,and the songs are unique and well-structured. I've listened to TBF many, many times, and it doesn't get old.

The 2 latest Flower Kings albums (Banks of Eden & Desolation Rose) both have some great moments throughout, but both have been somewhat forgettable in retrospect. I'm certainly grateful to have music from these guys, but neither album has any particularly single strong, timeless "core" that brings me back to it; both feel like they were generated/assembled as they went, and they both have a "kitchen sink" feel. (I fear that the Neal Morse/Transatlantic style of let's-just-all-get-in-a-room-and-bang-out-an-album-in-a-week leads to this sort of thing.)

I'm very happy that Roine apparently is having good success with his Anderson/Stolt project (it's gotten good reviews, and his interview implies that everyone's very happy with it from a business perspective), and I find it enjoyable, but to my ears, it suffers from a little too much Jon Anderson-style rambling/meandering. (It should be interesting to see, by contrast, what comes out of the Anderson-Rabin-Wakeman collaboration...)
hardlanding

Postby projeKct » 10 Oct 2016, 02:47

Well... I agree with you 99%...

I'm a big Black Forest fan! Like you said, previous AoM albums were ok, but this last one is so special... so perfect!

I'm not a big fan of Banks of Eden... except for the last section of Numbers and for the Pandemonim track... great moments! 8-)

Desolation Rose is very good (better than BoE in my opinion) but is not on par with classic albums by TFK...

Anderson/Stolt is boring to me... I've tried to love it, but failed...

On a side note, Karmakanic - Dot is an excellent album!!

So I'm not sure about the future of TFK, but I think we might have some nice surprises...! ;)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby hardlanding » 10 Oct 2016, 08:52

projeKct wrote:On a side note, Karmakanic - Dot is an excellent album!!

Interesting - I'm a *huge* fan of Karmakanic's first 3 albums - they're not perfect albums, but there is some amazing music on there: I listen to "Who's The Boss..." and "In A Perfect World" far more than the last 2 Flower Kings albums.

I was really looking forward to Dot, and my first impression has been a bit disappointing. However, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and thinking maybe I need to listen to it some more to see if I'm just not familiar enough with it. Both "Who's The Boss" and "In A Perfect World" were instant "likes" for me, based on both having such terrific first songs ("Send A Message From The Heart" and "1969").
hardlanding

Postby NotSteven » 10 Oct 2016, 10:06

I think Banks of Eden is an excellent album - it has been steadily edging its way towards my TFK Top 3 and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it eventually reach it. I surely wouldn't say it's just "TFK by numbers" (sic!).
NotSteven

Postby projeKct » 10 Oct 2016, 21:28

hardlanding wrote:I was really looking forward to Dot, and my first impression has been a bit disappointing. However, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and thinking maybe I need to listen to it some more to see if I'm just not familiar enough with it. Both "Who's The Boss" and "In A Perfect World" were instant "likes" for me, based on both having such terrific first songs ("Send A Message From The Heart" and "1969").

Well, "Dot" has some terrific songs too!

"Higher Ground" is a masterpiece, it flows so nicely all the way through... very catchy AND deep nonetheless.

Of course, "God, the Universe and Everything Else No One Really Cares About" is also a masterpiece, give it some time, and listen to all the layers. If you get the chance to see the "making of" DVD, Jonas guides us throughout the song, it helps a lot to appreciate it as it should!

"Traveling Minds" is very powerful, very emotional.

I've made a "remix" of the album (with better dynamic range, and slightly different track order), I think it's even better this way:

1- Dot / God, the Universe and Everything Else No One Really Cares About (30:27)
2- Higher Ground (10:11)
3- Steer by the Stars (4:22)
4- Traveling Minds (5:03)

Try this! :)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby projeKct » 10 Oct 2016, 21:32

NotSteven wrote:I think Banks of Eden is an excellent album - it has been steadily edging its way towards my TFK Top 3 and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it eventually reach it. I surely wouldn't say it's just "TFK by numbers" (sic!).

TFK definitively change their sound with those two last albums. Less "flowery", more "kings-y", LOL! ;) Maybe that's why my perception is different. Sounds almost like a different band. But an EXCELLENT band anyway!
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 11 Oct 2016, 06:16

projeKct wrote:
NotSteven wrote:I think Banks of Eden is an excellent album - it has been steadily edging its way towards my TFK Top 3 and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it eventually reach it. I surely wouldn't say it's just "TFK by numbers" (sic!).

TFK definitively change their sound with those two last albums. -- Sounds almost like a different band.

I haven't really thought about it that way... In my mind Eden links up nicely with The Sum of No Evil, in spite of the several years' gap between them.

Nevertheless, I really hope Kings will one day bloom again (how's that for a mixed metaphor?). No matter how good and rewarding their other endeavours are (and no doubt will be), there has always been something very special about The Flower Kings - that "extra push over the cliff", so to speak.
NotSteven

Postby giramondo73 » 12 Oct 2016, 11:57

Dear follower.....I don't want absolutely to think about this scenario....it should be a part of my heart completelly broken...just yesterday I listened the Concert in Tilburg 2006....great, they are wonderful, for my opinion more than other group like YES for instance....so, for this reason , I push on them as much as possible to come back at least for a wonderful world tour....it's much time I don't have this experience with them...I can understand at 60 y.o. it's not easy to refind with all Band component spirit and creativity to build a new competitive masterpiece. Anyway it should be great, wonderful to see them again in a spectacular concert! Hoping it could happen really soon..we need to enjoy their music once again....so we must push on them all to enstablish again a synergie to create e new fantastic show!
giramondo73

Postby NotSteven » 12 Oct 2016, 19:41

That's the spirit, giramondo73! (And welcome to the forum...)
NotSteven

Postby Symfoon » 13 Oct 2016, 10:07

[quote="**örn-Ola"] a brand new band project that will see the light of day in 2017[/u]."

No plans for a new album with the Flower Kings then. Will they ever make a new album?

Just keep in mind... The Flower Kings is not a 'real' band either, but also Roine Stolt project... Many think it's a band because Roine has been working with the same guys most of the time
when he called it The Flower Kings but please keep in mind that it's possible the next Flower King's album could also be Roine working together with 4 or 5 other musicians.... Last two TFK
albums were not particulary 'great' and besides that the last few tours also saw a considerable reduction in attendance... So bearing in mind TFK is all at Roine's own financial risk i can imagine
for the future he's maybe a bit more carefull with new releases and tours involving TFK.
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby Symfoon » 13 Oct 2016, 10:15

hardlanding wrote:
projeKct wrote:On a side note, Karmakanic - Dot is an excellent album!!

Interesting - I'm a *huge* fan of Karmakanic's first 3 albums - they're not perfect albums, but there is some amazing music on there: I listen to "Who's The Boss..." and "In A Perfect World" far more than the last 2 Flower Kings albums.

I was really looking forward to Dot, and my first impression has been a bit disappointing. However, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and thinking maybe I need to listen to it some more to see if I'm just not familiar enough with it. Both "Who's The Boss" and "In A Perfect World" were instant "likes" for me, based on both having such terrific first songs ("Send A Message From The Heart" and "1969").

Karmakanic's Dot is an o.k. album, the only problem it's facing (imho) is that it has a large percentage of 'heard it all before music'...., not that it's bad or so, but it also doesn't really surprise anyone who already own's the previous
Karmakanic albums...
Symfoon

Postby wowie » 13 Oct 2016, 12:50

interesting thoughts here, thanks for that!
I feel the same way for the last Karma album like symphoon. The album is pretty comfortable. Still its very beautiful here and there and consolidates some things.

Since UTF & Adam & Eve (which still hold up to the the best rock n fusion albums in the last 20-70 years, SWA & SR too of course) the band is more fragmented.
But they still work as unit and have a very good development i think. So they are better in what they do then so so many other bands. Look at this amount of great stuff!!
I think, as a band, they were never as good as they are at the moment. They could do so so many things, sadly there are so many informations disturbing our heads. I think all 4 albums after A&E are good. They have some weak spots but they all have massive good and creative material, which always makes fun to explore and doesnt sound old or cliche. And its also very interesting how they develop with the age ... yeah time is a bitch! You know its killing me!
I think its good to let go and collect new impressions for that, for the new masterpiece.
Its also good to have success in some other ways and enjoy it. Very special phase at the moment i think for Roine, Tomas and Jonas.
If the love is big enough, and i think TFK definitley has the most love to give ;), there will be another excellent album!
I just hope there will be enough power left to bring it in form :mrgreen: Hey cmon we have super speed with Felix and Tomas ... a very wise and groovy Mr. Reingold and the infinite power of Mr Fröberg ... you always have to find a good balance of age ... ähm wisdom and freshness and so on ... you know? :D
So, i dont really fear the future ;)

nP
One More Time .. Life in Motion
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby wowie » 13 Oct 2016, 13:33

its not all about perspective but ... so many things rise and fall with it - dont listen to the bad beats!
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby miamiscot » 13 Oct 2016, 22:33

At least we have Karmakanic...
miamiscot

Postby NotSteven » 14 Oct 2016, 10:02

Symfoon wrote:Just keep in mind... The Flower Kings is not a 'real' band either, but also Roine Stolt project... Many think it's a band because Roine has been working with the same guys most of the time

True, but there has always been that palpable feeling of a "real" band about The Flower Kings, which in my mind sets them apart from any other past, present or future "Roine Stolt project". The Flower Kings feels like a band and that's what counts in the end, and their longevity and consistent recorded legacy also speak weighty volumes and state a strong case in favour of them indeed being a band. The world nowadays is quite a different place from what it used to be back in the 60's and 70's - we can't quite expect the notion of a band to have remained unchanged either; the days of communal living and "getting it together in the country" are long gone. Groups outside the most immediate mainstream are more or less bound to be project-like in order to be viable, no matter how stubbornly us fans would like to stick to the old-fashioned romantic ideal of a band.
NotSteven

Postby Symfoon » 19 Oct 2016, 15:05

NotSteven wrote:True, but there has always been that palpable feeling of a "real" band about The Flower Kings, which in my mind sets them apart from any other past, present or future "Roine Stolt project". The Flower Kings feels like a band and that's what counts in the end, and their longevity and consistent recorded legacy also speak weighty volumes and state a strong case in favour of them indeed being a band. The world nowadays is quite a different place from what it used to be back in the 60's and 70's - we can't quite expect the notion of a band to have remained unchanged either; the days of communal living and "getting it together in the country" are long gone. Groups outside the most immediate mainstream are more or less bound to be project-like in order to be viable, no matter how stubbornly us fans would like to stick to the old-fashioned romantic ideal of a band.

What i tried to explain with my previous post is in fact that Roine needs to earn enough money first before he can fully concentrate on future TFK projects, so when other more commercial or financial interesting projects are glooming ahead
it's likely that Roine will do these first before going back to recording/touring with TFK. Think i posted this before but all, for maybe except one or two, tours with TFK costed Roine a small fortune of his private money. Specially touring in the USA for a band like TFK is infact impossible but they did it even more than once... and it's a very big offer spending sometimes US$ 25.000,00 to US$. 30.000,00 out of your own pocket for playing just a handfull of shows in just two weeks time cross atlantic... So TFK certainly isn't dead it's just waiting for Roine to win the Swedish lottery or Roine having his 1st nr.1 hitsingle in cooperation with Madonna, Lady GaGa or Beyonce ;) :lol:
Symfoon

Postby Max Power » 19 Oct 2016, 15:19

Please let it be the last artist :D
Max Power

Postby hardlanding » 19 Oct 2016, 21:05

Symfoon wrote: So TFK certainly isn't dead it's just waiting for Roine to win the Swedish lottery:

I assume that Roine touring with Steve Hackett was something of a lottery win - that had to be extremely lucrative.

But I also see why, sadly, TFK must not make financial sense. Albums/CDs don't make (much) money, music streaming doesn't make money, and touring only makes money if you get a lot of promotion, can fill a lot of seats, and don't require much expense. It seems like every artist is having to try different combinations of projects out of necessity to see if anything will "hit" and make any financial return.

Example, check out Jonas Reingold's album with Nick D'Virgilio under the name "The Fringe" (http://www.thefringetrio.com). (you can hear it on Spotify). May not be everyone's cup of tea, since it's sort of a "power rock trio", but it's a chance for Jonas to reach a very different audience. Meanwhile Nick D'Virgilio (who I assume everyone here knows) is having to work full-time for Sweetwater Studios, a recording studio in the middle of nowhere in the U.S. (and I say that lovingly, having lived very near that location many years ago).
hardlanding

Postby Symfoon » 20 Oct 2016, 14:30

Max Power wrote:Please let it be the last artist :D

You do realise that the chance is less than well ehhm 0,00000001% because when Roine should go on tour with her he has to pre-record all of his guitarsolo's onto harddisk
and i know for real that Roine is a pretty lousy 'playbacker', not that any of her 'fans' would most propably notice... ;) :lol: :roll:
Symfoon

Postby Symfoon » 20 Oct 2016, 15:05

hardlanding wrote:
Symfoon wrote: So TFK certainly isn't dead it's just waiting for Roine to win the Swedish lottery:

But I also see why, sadly, TFK must not make financial sense. Albums/CDs don't make (much) money, music streaming doesn't make money, and touring only makes money if you get a lot of promotion, can fill a lot of seats, and don't require much expense.

You are quite right... to gve you an example : If Roine wants TFK to tour the USA for say for 14 days he already has to pay 5 x US$. 1.000,00 for a working-permit to even be able to play TFK's music in the USA,
visa's, airplane tickets, hotel, food expenses and wages for the other 4 members... Most tours already starting off being about US$. 15.000,00 in the red at least (when they have not played a single note on stage....)

Europe is very different, 1st of all most of the time they have InsideOut backing them up f.i. by providing 'The Red' tourbus for travelling and a rather comfortable place to sleep, in Europe they book a tour
and play for 'fixed' prices where in the States the price is sometimes made only afterwards (in many occasions) depending on how many liters of beer were sold before/during/after the gig or the actual turn-out.

I heard Roine once speaking about a USA gig where they actually had to pay money back to the owner of the venue afterwards, because the crowd of about 250 did not drink enough beer/spirits leading to the fact that the band's
actually agreed fee for that night was not even fully covered... So such things are sometimes happening when being a musician in one of the leading progbands in the world today if/when touring the USA :shock:
Symfoon

Postby Bargamon » 26 Oct 2016, 21:36

I saw Roine with Hackett a few months back and was sitting front row! Wonderful show!!!
Roine looked miserable. It must have been a grind. It was his last show of the tour before Hackett took it to Japan.
Got the Anderson/Solt album and listened to it 5 times. I loaded onto my iphone and was doing some painting in my house. By chance it auto repeated itself, and I never noticed. After the third replay, it dawned on me what was happening.
Not a bad recording, just not great.
Transatlantic "Whirlwind" was as Roine said, underdeveloped and Morse seems not that into it. Not fully dropping the veiled "Jesus loves me" concept but toning it down just takes the passion when we can link his abstract to his born again goodness.
Its not a bad thing, just like my prog abstract and let the music take me to my own spiritual place.
Every Translantic album from the first got longer and more diluted. The Beatle covers was ok, but its like they were just having fun with it and did not bring anything great to it. Im sure it was fun live. Portnoy brings his biker look and a few F-bombs but it just distracts from the music. He is a great drummer!!!!
Transatlantic had great potential. Portnoy was making too much money to pull a Bruford and leave it in its prime to risk on Transatlantic and Morse was already in conflict with his spiritual Journey with Spocks Beard. If they commited to building it properly it might have been special. Fact is they would have gutted all their bands to do so and these guys

I recently pulled out "Voodoo Wall street" and very much enjoyed that again.

Regarding the death of the band........ Well Tomas is living in Texas with his new child bride and fully enjoying himself. Good for him. Jonas has built a nice career and production company and seems to be doing well. TFK is a Roine project and it if you recall the others wanted more "Juice" and be more of a band. It produced some nice moments in the last two albums but not like the first ten years. The band peaked with "meet the flower kings" and Adam and Eve. "Paradox Hotel" is very uneven but it was ambitious.

Seems like Im not being friendly to them but mind you I love this band and would buy anything they produce. I own much of the project stuff but have pretty much stopped buying them without any audition because it starts to sound alike.
I really enjoyed most of "The Tangent" when Roine was involved, and more so when he did vocals. "Range Rover"!!

Some of you want to go back and have him recapture the glory of the past but I doubt that can happen. I would encourage him to "GO FORWARD" and explore a new band and a new sound!!! That is how he got to where he is.
Wife and I still love "The flower king" recording and remember it was a project that grew a band. Fresh relationships and concepts could yield new magic!
Bargamon

Postby Max Power » 30 Oct 2016, 12:07

Symfoon wrote:
Max Power wrote:Please let it be the last artist :D

You do realise that the chance is less than well ehhm 0,00000001% because when Roine should go on tour with her he has to pre-record all of his guitarsolo's onto harddisk
and i know for real that Roine is a pretty lousy 'playbacker', not that any of her 'fans' would most propably notice... ;) :lol: :roll:

Haven't seen any of her shows, altough I'm pretty sure the playback style is more and more dropped since she gained her more "indie' attitude :).
Max Power

Postby Max Power » 30 Oct 2016, 12:26

Well if the end of TFK would be real, I think it's safe to say their discography is pretty flawless. If not completely flawless ; 13 amazing albums folks!
I've been thinking while the last 2 albums were difficult to digest at first they are still pretty much unmatched in today's prog scene. Viljans Öga, The Road of Bones and The Raven that Refused to Sing are the few albums I can think of that might come close... might!

Just wondering about the US tour problem, but does TFK really need to tour to live on? Some amazing bands perfectly did fine without it. I think new TFK music is still the priority :D
Max Power

Postby Kaipa » 31 Oct 2016, 12:39

When the Flowerkings will stop ( which I don't hope for) Kaipa da Capo is a good replacement for that.
Kaipa

Postby Symfoon » 31 Oct 2016, 17:00

Max Power wrote:Haven't seen any of her shows, altough I'm pretty sure the playback style is more and more dropped since she gained her more "indie' attitude :).

Me neither, but few weeks ago a saw some footage on YouTube where she obviously made a deal with the boyfriend of one of her dancers... He would ask her to marry him during the gig. Now imagine this is in some kind of footballstadium and in the middle of one of her songs she winks this guy to come on stage... but while she's calling out to him the music complete with all the oooh's and aaah's including her 'guide vocals' is just continuing... so then she also call's out for one of her dancers to come forward... and while this guy is going on his knees for this dancer Beyonce is shouting through her mike 'Maybe this is a good moment to stop the music....' so then there's probably some guy in the back at the mixing-desk pushing the 'hold' or 'stop' button and within half a second all the music stops...

It's shocking to notice everyone in the stadium goes wild for this proposal on stage and no one actually seems to bother the fact they're just witnessed prove of the fact that they are all just listening to a tape or harddisc with pre-recorded music and vocals at this supposed live concert.... All of the footage of this tour shows that there are actually no musicians on stage at all...
Symfoon

Next

Return to The Flower Kings