Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

This or That game!

General discussion about anything your heart desires

Re: This or That game!

Postby NotSteven » 23 Aug 2015, 21:21

projeKct wrote:Now, for a change... Seasons: Summer or Winter ? ;)

Either would do for a change, considering that nowadays we seem to have a constant autumn here in Finland. (OK, it's rather summery now, but that only started a week ago and we should be getting back to normal within the next seven days.) Nevertheless, a proper winter it is for me, thank you very much!

Cats or dogs?
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 23 Aug 2015, 21:56

projeKct wrote:
Chessman wrote:The Tangent albums - The World That We Drive Through or A Place In The Queue?

Mmm... let's think... I slightly prefer A Place In The Queue, I also think it's the best "Stolt-less Tangent album". But The World That We Drive Through is really good too. So that was hard to choose!

Now, for a change... Seasons: Summer or Winter ? ;)

(I too would go for A Place In The Queue, I think it's the best 'Stolt-less' Tangent album too! Great minds eh? ;) )

Now as to NotSteven's question, I love all animals, preferring most of them to many people in fact. Got to go with Cats though. Had them off and on throughout my life and love them all. :)

Next one:

Hendrix or Clapton?
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 24 Aug 2015, 11:59

Chessman wrote:I love all animals, preferring most of them to many people in fact.

My sentiments exactly!

Just the other night I was standing out on our 4th floor balcony; on my left there was the usual drunken brawl from our local public house, on my right a tawny owl was calling in the pitch darkness. I stayed listening for fifteen minutes - and no, it was not for the louts in the pub.

Chessman wrote:Hendrix or Clapton?

Got to admit, I'm not a big fan of either, although I can appreciate the unquestionable skills of both. Curiously enough, I really love the Hendrix-influenced playing of Robin Trower and actually prefer him to the real thing. Simply out of my respect towards Trower, I'll go with Hendrix here. (Sorry, Eric.)

To keep it in the realm of guitar players -
Jeff Beck or Jimmy Page?
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 24 Aug 2015, 20:05

Actually, I've got to admit I was never a big fan of either Hendrix or Clapton, but I would choose Hendrix to be honest. I've always felt Clapton never let himself go as much as he could. He's more diverse than Hendrix though. As for your latest question, that's a very difficult one. I like both but I'll have to go with Page, simply because of his work with Zeppelin. Beck is probably more creative though.

Ok, next one:

ELP albums - Brain Salad Surgery or Tarkus?
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 24 Aug 2015, 22:07

Chessman wrote:Ok, next one:

I wouldn't call this easy either. For me, ELP albums are very hard to assess. Each and every one of them seems somewhat flawed - they are good, but only intermittently great, and there's none I would call an outright masterpiece. Of these two, I would probably choose Tarkus three times out of five.

Coffee or tea?
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 26 Aug 2015, 22:05

NotSteven wrote:
Chessman wrote:Ok, next one:

I wouldn't call this easy either. For me, ELP albums are very hard to assess. Each and every one of them seems somewhat flawed - they are good, but only intermittently great, and there's none I would call an outright masterpiece. Of these two, I would probably choose Tarkus three times out of five.

Coffee or tea?

I tend to agree with you, once again. ELP were never my favourite band. They were very talented musically but, for me, their weakness was Greg Lake's voice. It just wasn't distinctive enough for me. It didn't suit that type of music. Nevertheless, they could be very impressive at times. Out of interest, I would probably choose Brain Salad Surgery three times out of five.

Your question is easy to answer for a change: Tea! ;)

Ok, try this one:

Songwriters - Neal Morse or Roine Stolt?

:D
Chessman

Postby projeKct » 26 Aug 2015, 22:26

Chessman wrote:Songwriters - Neal Morse or Roine Stolt?

Roine Stolt... all the way!

Neal Morse is very good indeed! But Roine has much more diversity... symphonic rock, blues, jazz, pop, psychedelic... and the quality is always there! I think Neal has a thinner spectrum of styles: mostly rock/prog-rock/christian-rock. Please note that I'm only referring to music, not to lyrics (because I often ignore them...)

Now: The "Flower Power" album - Disc 1 (Flower) or Disc 2 (Power) ?? :)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Chessman » 26 Aug 2015, 23:03

Now that's unfair! My favourite FK album! Two fantastic discs! My favourite FK epic on one disc whilst the other has some of my all time favourite FK songs on it! How can I decide?
Ok, today I'll choose - Disc 2 - just because it has more diversity on it. (Tomorrow I may choose Disc 1 however!) :? :D

Next:

Drummers - Bill Bruford or Phil Collins?

:)
Chessman

Postby projeKct » 27 Aug 2015, 02:38

Chessman wrote:My favourite FK epic on one disc whilst the other has some of my all time favourite FK songs on it!

And can you tell us what is this favourite song of yours on disc 2 ?

(Because we all know that the epic you're referring to on disc 1 is "IKEA by Night"...)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Chessman » 27 Aug 2015, 21:29

projeKct wrote:
Chessman wrote:My favourite FK epic on one disc whilst the other has some of my all time favourite FK songs on it!

And can you tell us what is this favourite song of yours on disc 2 ?

(Because we all know that the epic you're referring to on disc 1 is "IKEA by Night"...)

Actually, Ikea By Night is my second favourite on disc 1, after Captain Capstan! :lol: )

Seriously, it's hard to pick a favourite on disc 2, they're all so good. I do like Psychedelic Postcard though, but then again Stupid Girl and Painter are fantastic too as are Magic Pie and Calling Home! See? Impossible to pick. :roll: :D
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 27 Aug 2015, 22:37

Chessman wrote:Drummers - Bill Bruford or Phil Collins?

Speaking of unfair...

As much as I love and respect Collins as a drummer (just listen to Down and Out for some truly superb drum work), it is Bruford who gets my vote. (Sorry, Phil!) In fact, you could put Bruford against just about everyone and I would always choose him (Pip Pyle excepted).

Hard rock legends -

Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin?
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 27 Aug 2015, 23:19

I think I would go for Phil - his work with Brand X is stunning at times, and Genesis are my favourite band, but I love Bill's work too.

Now, Purple and Zeppelin is a hard one again, I prefer Bonham to Paice and Page to Blackmore, but probably favour Gillan - and Coverdale - over Plant. Overall I'll have to go for the mystical qualities of Zep though.

My turn:

Purple albums - Burn or Machine Head? ;)
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 28 Aug 2015, 10:04

Chessman wrote:Purple albums - Burn or Machine Head? ;)

Yet another tough egg to crack... Both are in my Purple 68-76 Top 3. Machine Head features what I feel is the strongest album side Purple ever released (side A: Highway Star, Maybe I'm a Leo, Pictures of Home, Never Before), but I still go for Burn because it's slightly more consistent in terms of song quality.

Zep albums -

IV or Houses of the Holy?
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 28 Aug 2015, 21:55

And a difficult one for me to answer too. Both are good but I think I'd actually go for Houses Of The Holy. (I can just hear all those Led Zep IV fans crying 'sacrilege!')

My turn:

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing or In Absentia?
Chessman

Postby Chessman » 28 Aug 2015, 22:12

NotSteven wrote:
Chessman wrote:Purple albums - Burn or Machine Head? ;)

Yet another tough egg to crack... Both are in my Purple 68-76 Top 3. Machine Head features what I feel is the strongest album side Purple ever released (side A: Highway Star, Maybe I'm a Leo, Pictures of Home, Never Before), but I still go for Burn because it's slightly more consistent in terms of song quality.

Zep albums -

IV or Houses of the Holy?

Out of interest, apart from Burn and Machine Head, which other Purple album is in your top three for 68 - 76? is it Stormbringer or Come Taste The Band or In Rock? Or maybe even Fireball? (Or am I miles out there?) :roll: :)
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 28 Aug 2015, 22:22

Chessman wrote:Out of interest, apart from Burn and Machine Head, which other Purple album is in your top three for 68 - 76? is it Stormbringer or Come Taste The Band or In Rock? Or maybe even Fireball? (Or am I miles out there?) :roll: :)

I was afraid you'd ask that, because I didn't really have a ready-made answer to give. I did expect it, though, so I did some serious soul searching earlier today and came up with two equal candidates: Deep Purple and Come Taste the Band. I'm not a big fan of In Rock - that's one of my DP 68-76 Bottom 3. (Please don't ask what the other two are - I'd rather keep that knowledge from myself.)

(And just for the record, I would have chosen Houses of the Holy, too.)
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 30 Aug 2015, 17:55

...still no-one replies to my last poser, maybe it's just too difficult a choice, Deadwing or In Absentia....(Me? I've got to go with Deadwing. ;) )
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 30 Aug 2015, 18:31

Chessman wrote:...still no-one replies to my last poser, maybe it's just too difficult a choice, Deadwing or In Absentia...

I thought I'd give someone else a chance, but since there seems to be no takers, I guess it'll have to be me again - In Absentia.

Power trios:
Cream or Jimi Hendrix Experience?
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 30 Aug 2015, 19:26

Another difficult one! I've got to go with Cream here I think, though it's a close call.

Kaipa albums - Notes From The Past or Keyholder? :)
Chessman

Postby projeKct » 30 Aug 2015, 20:00

Keyholder is THE Kaipa album (for me at least)... All tracks are fantastic, except maybe "Across the Big Uncertain".

Now: Compact disc or mp3 file ?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Chessman » 30 Aug 2015, 20:45

Agreed, Keyholder for me too. ;)

In answer to yours, I will always choose Compact disc. You get the physical product to keep, with all the artwork etc, and you can still burn it or put it on itunes - like I do - to listen to it in various places. Very flexible. :)

Keyboard players - Mark Kelly (Marillion) or Martin Orford (IQ)?
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 31 Aug 2015, 21:29

Chessman wrote:Keyboard players - Mark Kelly (Marillion) or Martin Orford (IQ)?

Orford.

Next, Do It Again
- The Beach Boys or Steely Dan?
NotSteven

Postby projeKct » 01 Sep 2015, 00:58

NotSteven wrote:Next, Do It Again
- The Beach Boys or Steely Dan?

I say: Pia Mia !

[youtube]cNw8A5pwbVI[/youtube]

Of course, I'm joking...

Steely Dan's Do It Again is very good... The Beach Boys' take is so so... and Pia Mia's... hmmmmmm... I'll shut up!! ;)

Next question: Van Halen or Queen ?
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby wowie » 01 Sep 2015, 10:53

Queen, just got too much class!
Freddie is the banger here ... ;)

okay, Roine Stolt's
left or right shoe?
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby carlosb » 01 Sep 2015, 17:49

Both.
More difficult still:
"BetchaWannaDanceStoopid!" or "BrimStoned In Europe".
Is not easy...
carlosb

Postby NotSteven » 01 Sep 2015, 20:17

carlosb wrote:More difficult still:
"BetchaWannaDanceStoopid!" or "BrimStoned In Europe".
Is not easy...

Hail to BrimStoned!

wowie wrote:okay, Roine Stolt's
left or right shoe?

Never had you down as a fetishist, wowie...

However, if the shoe was on the other foot...

Roine's albums -
Fantasia or The Lonely Heartbeat?
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 01 Sep 2015, 20:39

Yet another difficult one, though I think I'll go with The Lonely Heartbeat - today anyway. :)

Now:

TFK vocalists - Hasse Froberg or Roine Stolt?

:)
Chessman

Postby carlosb » 01 Sep 2015, 21:54

Very, very difficult.
This is getting very complicated.
It depends, according to which song. They are perfect in every composition (I would not change anything). And where Daniel sings, or where choirs include all or where Tomas voice deformed ...
It's the same if we compare Rick Davies with Roger Hodgson.
Very difficult, Chessman. I can't choose.
carlosb

Postby Chessman » 01 Sep 2015, 22:22

carlosb wrote:Very, very difficult.
It depends, according to which song. They are perfect in every composition (I would not change anything). And where Daniel sings, or where choirs include all or where Tomas voice deformed ...
It's the same if we compare Rick Davies with Roger Hodgson.
Very difficult, Chessman. I can't choose.

Very difficult for me too. Hasse has the better, pure rock voice, very powerful, but Roine's singing suits the music perfectly. Think I'd probably have to go with Hasse in the end, but it's very close. (Out of interest, I'd always choose Hodgson over Davies, an easy choice for me that one. ;) )
Chessman

Postby projeKct » 02 Sep 2015, 01:44

carlosb wrote:Very, very difficult.
It depends, according to which song. They are perfect in every composition (I would not change anything).

But "I Wouldn't Change a Thing" is a Froberg song... ;)

Well... "Everything Can Change" is another Froberg song!! :lol:
projeKct
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Flower Power