Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

what to get next...

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

what to get next...

Postby repercush » 11 Dec 2015, 22:40

I am an original Genesis Freak. I've seen every supported concert tour (except CAS) and followed Rael on his gigs. My musical growth was nurtured in the 70s listening to WHUR (Howard University, WGTB (Georgetown University) and WHUR (Home Grown Radio). Can anybody guess where these three FM stations are?

Decades have gone by...I have listened to much music. I am delighted to experience such exciting and creative music these days such as:

Spock's Beard
Toto
Ozric Tentacles
Steven Wilson
Porcupine Tree
Umphrey's McGhee
Cosmograph
Sound Of Contact
Nick D'Virgilio
Planet X
Simon Phillips

But...all this time up until now, I have looked from afar to the groups that Roine and Jonas have spawned. It seems that the Prog Universe (Univog) has selected this time for me to explore. Now, that I am free of Hand. Cannot. Erase. (...saw the show at the Warfield in SF last June), I can get down with the formidable yet pleasurable task of digging into The Flower KIngs.

I am a music freak. Ever since I learned that music was the peek into humanity's purpose, I have journeyed on the path with a keen ear to the following:

-The composition must stand alone. I don't care if you are using trained and tuned elephants with horn honking seals as back-up singers to play a song, the plot of the music must manifest.

-The musicians must be sustainably proficient in virtuosity and directed to allow their instruments to "sing of their own."

-The sounds must be abundant, varied and appropriate. Contrivance is not to be tolerated. However, paying homage to past iconic Prog Music elements is acceptable if the music fits.

The music MUST be clever. The music MUST tell a story...even if only musical...musical interludes is part and parcel for the Prog Music experience.

There are many other things that can be identified such as live performance characteristics, gear use and choices. I have done my homework on some very specific examples such as understanding the day Peter Gabriel brought home his Fairlight...

Well now, yonder ho! It is Karmakanic and a song called When Earth Meets The Sky. I have never heard this stuff and I have got to say that for the amount of work done, the amount of superb music abounds and is formidable...so much so that these boys have gone beyond what anyone has done in the past.

So, I have all of Karmakanic and have started in with TFK. I have :

Banks Of Eden
Desolation Rose
Paradox Hotel
Space Revolver
Stardust We Are

I have NOT gotten to Kaipa or Transatlantic...don't want to right now.

I need to know what TFK album to get next...
repercush

Re: what to get next...

Postby NotSteven » 12 Dec 2015, 00:55

Unfold the Future, perhaps?
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby repercush » 12 Dec 2015, 01:30

Cool...thanks
repercush

Postby projeKct » 12 Dec 2015, 06:05

Welcome, repercush! :)

I agree with NotSteven. Unfold the Future is an obvious choice!

Flower Power is also an outstanding album. On the first disc, you will hear "Garden of Dreams" which is a 60-minutes epic composition... my all-time favourite song!!
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby repercush » 12 Dec 2015, 07:56

Thanks...I'm on it. Love this music.
repercush

Postby Chessman » 12 Dec 2015, 14:57

All of their albums are great, no weak ones ,but, as mentioned above, Flower Power and Unfold The Future stand as twin pinnacles to their soaring talent. Two must-have desert island discs for me. 8-)
Chessman

Postby repercush » 12 Dec 2015, 16:29

Given my musical appreciation approach and length of study, I cannot compare to anything else TFKs creativity and combined virtuosity. It's like a second coming. Does anyone get what I'm saying?
repercush

Postby Max Power » 14 Dec 2015, 11:44

Yes.

I usually bought TFK albums in the order I found them. Flower Power and UTF are off course must haves! Might also hint towards : Roine Stolt - The Flower King (the true debut!).

'The sounds must be abundant, varied and appropriate. Contrivance is not to be tolerated. However, paying homage to past iconic Prog Music elements is acceptable if the music fits.
The music MUST be clever. The music MUST tell a story...even if only musical...musical interludes is part and parcel for the Prog Music experience.'

Varied, clever, telling a story, ... I thought similiar things in the past, however I wouldn't call them science just yet. Instead of only going for varied music, it seems I've gotten pretty fond of my taste as 'varied'.

Anyway if you're so keen on the ones you collected so far I think you should collect them all. It worked for me since 2003 . :roll: 8-)
Max Power

Postby hardlanding » 14 Dec 2015, 20:44

+1 on Unfold the Future, definitely. (Personally I would also recommend concentrating on the albums *prior* to 'Sum of No Evil' first, i.e. from 'Paradox Hotel' back. The 3 newest albums are good, but not as distinct as the earlier ones.)

I have NOT gotten to Kaipa or Transatlantic...don't want to right now.

While I don't mean to get you off track in your journey through TFK, as someone who followed a similar path as you (long time Genesis/Yes fan who starved for years until I discovered Spock's Beard kicking off the "next generation" of prog), if you like Roine Stolt, I would *highly* recommend Transatlantic's "Bridge Across Forever" (or even better, the live version "Live In Europe").

In fact, it was Transatlantic that led me to Flower Kings. My discovery path was quite a logical progression: Genesis -> (Nick D'Virgilio) -> Spock's Beard -> (Neal Morse) -> Transatlantic -> (Roine Stolt) -> Flower Kings -> (Jonas Reingold) -> Karmakanic. (Of course this path now loops back on itself, now that Roine is playing with Steve Hackett!)

As much as I love Genesis, Spock's Beard, and Flower Kings, I count Transatlantic's "Live In Europe" as my #1 album of all time.
hardlanding

Postby repercush » 15 Dec 2015, 04:07

Your input is stellar. Your loop idea is exactly the thing that I love about this music. Indeed...RS and SH! The music leaps most other efforts by whole dimensions. I will certainly check out your Transatlantic recommendations. Today's nugget is Go West Judas.
repercush

Postby repercush » 15 Dec 2015, 04:17

Lovin this...L2 (currently listening to right now in real time) My Cosmic Lover!
repercush

Postby projeKct » 15 Dec 2015, 05:13

Go West Judas rocks!!! 8-)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby repercush » 15 Dec 2015, 05:24

I played GWJ three times!
repercush

Postby wowie » 15 Dec 2015, 16:04

hey there, welcome to planet tfk!!! ;)

dont miss the modern indie, jazz and electronic genres. Their is a lot great great fusion stuff to find there!!!

If you are a genesis fan, you def need RAINMAKER ...
But Unfold the Future is of course in the TOP 3 ....
LOVE SOUPREME is my other fave ... very "modern", the most heavy and "professional" approach for tfk up to now.

do you know
Nova "Vimana"
???

are you into Zappa? Gentle Giant?
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Return to The Flower Kings