Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Whats your favorite Flower Kings record ?

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

Re: Whats your favorite Flower Kings record ?

Postby projeKct » 02 Aug 2011, 03:52

bassman wrote:I think Circus Brimstone Live is my fave live cd
have any of you heard it ? :cool:

Obviously! And I love it! Especially because of the very nice song selection... all favorites of mine... and TFK don't play them often.

I'm very happy to hear Circus Brimstone (the full song) !! Crazy version !! 8-)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby The Letter M » 02 Aug 2011, 18:47

bassman wrote:have any of you heard it ? :cool:

I love Circus Brimstone! It's a great instrumental CD and a wonderful look into TFK's musical-side, without lyrics or singing, you can really zone in and concentrate on everyone's playing. I also love BetchaWannaDanceStoopid! live improv album, as it's a good look into the band's creative side, and it's a fun record to listen to!

-Marc.
The Letter M

Postby Chessman » 03 Aug 2011, 18:42

The Letter M wrote:
bassman wrote:have any of you heard it ? :cool:

I love Circus Brimstone! It's a great instrumental CD and a wonderful look into TFK's musical-side, without lyrics or singing, you can really zone in and concentrate on everyone's playing. I also love BetchaWannaDanceStoopid! live improv album, as it's a good look into the band's creative side, and it's a fun record to listen to!

-Marc.

Agreed. Both albums are wonderful. 8-)
Chessman

Postby flowerkingsfan » 03 Aug 2011, 21:17

I love the Circus Brimstone CD also! I bought mine at the TFK Milwaukee show, signed by Roine Himself! A very prized possession... 8-)
flowerkingsfan

Postby bassman » 04 Aug 2011, 05:03

and to think ... I thought I had a rare cd. :)
@flowerkingsfan were you at the Aom in milwaukee ? :?:
bassman

Postby flowerkingsfan » 04 Aug 2011, 15:12

No, I missed that show... at the TFK Milwaukee show I also talked with Tomas Bodin, and he convinced me to get the Swedish Family CD- it's interesting, also. I also bought the TFK "official bootleg" CD live from California- it's definitely worthwhile!
flowerkingsfan

Postby progaor06 » 15 Aug 2011, 02:20

in this order
1)sum of no evil
2)adam and eve
3)rain maker
4)paradox hotel
5)unfold the futre

i always listen to the live version of garden of dreams in nyc or at the ocean
progaor06

Postby Frits » 23 Aug 2011, 08:53

If you strip the question to: ‘if you were allowed to keep only one FK album, which one would it be?’ it would be Space Revolver for me. All FK albums have great songs and less great songs (imo) but the one song I don’t want to separate from is I Am The Sun (part 2). So it would be SR, definitively.
Frits

Postby bassman » 20 Dec 2011, 01:59

here is something interesting ... Roines favorite TFk record is Stardust We Are ? hmmm ... :cool:
bassman

Postby bassman » 21 Dec 2011, 02:17

Tomas Bodin 's favorite is Space Revolver ...hmmm :cool:
bassman

Postby bassman » 24 Dec 2011, 05:46

Hasse Froberg says ... The ones I like the most are: "Stardust we are", "Paradox hotel", "The sum of no evil" :cool:
bassman

Postby bassman » 25 Dec 2011, 19:04

Jonas favorite tFK ... UtF :cool: Merry Christmas y'all
bassman

Postby progking » 06 Feb 2012, 11:05

I think, they are all very great, but i comes down to personal favarites.
and this depends on the mood i'm in.
But overall i have Flower Power and The Sum of No Evil as favorites....with Unfold the Future as a close third.
this is also based on how much i played the cd's....and these three i played the most.
progking

Postby Basu » 06 Feb 2012, 22:01

My TFK best list would look like this

1. Stardust we are
2. Space Revolver
3. UtF
Basu

Postby progaor06 » 11 Mar 2012, 17:11

sum of no evil rainmaker then paradox hotel r my top 3 faves
progaor06

Postby cubbykovu » 21 Aug 2013, 22:19

I think my favourite TFK album probably
either Paradox Hotel, Stardust we are or The Rainmaker, I enjoy them all really I quite like Betchawannadancestoopid too. I enjoy watching them on me dvd's
I will have a listen to all the albums and list them in a preference order :)
cubbykovu

Postby wowie » 27 Aug 2013, 08:17

update

UTF & Adam & Eve place on No.1
no2 Space Revolver/SWA/FP
no3 Rainmaker/Retropolis
no 4 Banks of Eden/PH
no 5 TSONE/TFK/BITWOA

As some parts on Banks of Eden are pretty much place no.2 the inconsistency and quantity puts it under no3. for me.
Somehow this looks cruel but ... :( ... but always remeber, tfk place no4 is better then 80% of all bands no1. :D

so the next is already in the pipe the next update will come soon ;)
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Max Power » 28 Aug 2013, 07:04

Update:

1. Space Revolver & Flower Power
2. Retropolis
3. The Flower King
4. Stardust We Are
5. Adam and Eve
6. The Rainmaker
7. Unfold The Future
8. BITWOA
9. The Sum of No Evil
10. Paradox Hotel
11. Banks of Eden

Banks of Eden is too much autopilot for me. Paradox Hotel has some of the best (Monsters and men! Touch my heaven!) and worst moments (The Unorthodox Dancinglesson). And I still find it hard to digest the 'Devil's Playground' song :roll: . Space Revolver and Flower Power on the other hand are are as good as the greatest 70's prog records. 8-) .
Max Power

Postby Chessman » 29 Aug 2013, 00:28

I'm busy going through all the albums at the moment. Once I've digested them all, I'll give an update too. ;)
Chessman

Postby projeKct » 29 Aug 2013, 03:04

My update:

5-stars
Stardust We Are
Flower Power

4-stars
Space Revolver
Adam and Eve
BITWOA
Unfold The Future
Retropolis

3-stars
Paradox Hotel
Banks of Eden
The Flower King
The Sum of No Evil
The Rainmaker

and I must specify that they are in order in each category... ;)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby wowie » 02 Sep 2013, 07:42

hey Max,
are you into Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Brand X?

maybe it would be interesting to have a more detailed view on some albums. as we can use it in the "one album" threads we dit.
So where everybody lists his single positive and negative points on each album.
Could be interesting to exchange our detailed perspectives and why some people have many similarities except 1 or 2 albums.

maybe i would understand why Max rates The Flower King so high and why projeKct is rating UTF under BITWOA :D
wowie

Postby projeKct » 02 Sep 2013, 17:04

wowie wrote:maybe i would understand [...] why projeKct is rating UTF under BITWOA :D

Well, did I? :roll: It's always difficult to rate or to rank TFK albums... Both albums are 4-stars to me, this means EXCELLENT. BITWOA is more consistent, I can easily listen to it entirely without skipping any track. UTF on the other hand is more up & down, there are majestic tracks on it (TTWSYF, Rollin' the Dice, Devil's Playground) but also very weird and long moments (Christianopel (sorry buddy ;)), Soul Vortex). I prefer BITWOA as a full album, but on a "best of" compilation, maybe UTF will have more weight because the majestic tracks are very very long!!! 8-)

Here are my short comments on each album:

5-stars
Stardust We Are: emotional, raw, beautiful
Flower Power: incredible moments but mediocre sound and CD2 less consistent

4-stars
Space Revolver: uplifting album, wall of sound
Adam and Eve: groovy, perfect sound
BITWOA: young band, lots of energy
Unfold The Future: very technical, yet appealing, Zoltan at his best!
Retropolis: well... very retro, but I love it!!!

3-stars
Paradox Hotel: short songs, less "TFK" sound, a special album
Banks of Eden: some really good moments, but some dull moments also!
The Flower King: great compositions, sound is weird
The Sum of No Evil: some good moments, but some boring moments also!
The Rainmaker: cold album, the first album of "TFK going downhill" to me... :(
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby wowie » 08 Sep 2013, 10:09

:D
i recommend starting from below.
and its x/100

Adam & Eve (270)
Challenging: 90
Melody: 90
OverAll Consistency: 100
the strongest album in consistency and sound. LOVE SOUPREME is one of the greatest songs ewer written, amazing amazing amazing!!!
best tfk lyrics so far. There is even a strong message even if it is no concept album.
Stylistic approach is also very good as it combines the experimental extreme with a soulful and common perspective (timelines). This is highly professional work!!! Which was also very present on PH! but there without the epic expectations of prog and the super tight consistency.
and of course heavy genesis touch by track 2 and 3.
Vampires view is also an amazing song, highly underrated and is bringing back the great possibilitys of dramatic progging brought up by Gildenlöw!!!

UTF (270)
Challenging: 100
OverAll Consistency: 90
adds: experimental, free as no other album. hi-def playing. again a mass of quality. So many different stuff here to explore. Also the vocal work here is extremely good!! Juzst the two longplayer are so so amazing. This together with the free and experimental stuff, the great Wallander contributions the great synth and and and make it stronger for me then SWA and FP. its not as romantic but it got a consciousness, a complexity and a proggyness that surpasses mostly everything when it comes to the expectation of being experimental and enlightened.

Space Revolver (267)
Challenging: 92
Melody: 88
OverAll Consistency: 89
What a album, its like turning you inside out and reveals a whole new world.
i am the sun one of the ebst songs ever written. The folky interlude of part 2 is so so good and i miss it live!!
Stylistically extremely challenging and also the speed and complexity and the melodic creativity is everyhwere and working well in the short and creative songs.

FP (263)
Challenging: 95
Melody: 95
OverAll Consistency: 73
adds: what a mass of quality and prog, a symphonic fusion masterpiece - what else can you say, there is everything in it.
another one of the best 2 disc albums ever made.

SWA (263)
Challenging: 91
Melody: 92
OverAll Consistency: 80
prog masterpiece with all kinds of stuff, i love the acoustic guitar here, there was never again so much of it in tfk and i miss it, like the sax which is also here and makes SWA to a very strong and lovely work. Epic and yearning melodys. Small interludes - i love em!!
one of the best 2 disc albums ever made.

Rainmaker (255)
Challenging: 80
OverAll Consistency: 85
adds: what a wonderful album, most yearning one by tfk, wonderful album arrangement and song arrangement.
Some of Roines best vocal stuff. Very good soul-prog here specially in Serious Dreamer. The playing and atmosphere comes close to Genesis genius!
The bass/guitar/synth/drum mix here is a special one - a unique, strong and pretty consistent album.

Retropolis (252)
Challenging: 90
Melody: 80
OverAll Consistency: 82
adds: extremely dynamic proggy album. first class eclectic, maybe the most electric album up to day by tfk/Tomas, amazing songwriting for Rhythm of the sea.

Banks of Eden (249)
Challenging: 86
Melody: 85
OverAll Consistency: 78
adds: wonderful mix of all kinds of tfk skills, felix is so rich and enhances tfk very good with jazz and prog drumming. Rising the imperial 1a, for the love of gold first half is revolutionary!, the longplayer is contemporary and so so fresh, tfk getting better with every record!
extreme flow here and epic strength, plus trippy play

PH (235)
Challenging: 80
Melody: 85
OverAll Consistency: 70
adds: some fine new approaches here. Lots off different song material, new composing new style, some very fine Roine vocal shorties, Marcus doing great job here, another approach of being warm and lovely which is very lovely here (Blue Planet, Mommy) and also very interesting. The greatness of Roines songwriting like Rhythm of the Sea.
band plays fantastic and a very warm album

TSONE (233)
Challenging: 78
Melody: 80
OverAll Consistency: 75
adds: maybe the most boring album by tfk. They are still top-notch here but in relation to the others ...
Sum of no reason does not work for as as many parts of the longplayer too.

TFK (230)
Challenging: 85
Melody: 75
adds: already here an hi-def understanding of eclectic prog music with hi-end rhythmics and superb melodys - TFK is born!

BITWOA (225)
Challenging: 85/100
Melody: 70
adds: love the fusion approach, the sax, funny, fast and very challenging and very uplifting
very challenging sort of prog, fusiontastic, what an adventure

if you ask me what it takes to be a melody 100,
i would say Anthony Phillips "the Geese and the Ghost" or Melody Gardot's "my one and only thrill"
wowie

Postby Max Power » 08 Sep 2013, 18:50

I guess the discussion on the best TFK albums will never end on this forum. And that's one of the things that makes this band so fascinating.
BTW: Actually I'm longing for more best albums/bands threads again, since so much has changed again the last year. ;)

Devil's playground definitely gets a 100 when it comes down to challenging for me :D

The Flower King: I bought this together with the first 2 'the tangent' albums; what a &@#% sick day that was!
The flower king is the album that made the TFK band inevitable. It has some of the best guitar work from Roine (Dissonata!) and
the big uber moment from Ulf Wallander for me (humanizzimo, right after 'we go down to the river of love..'.). I know my girlfriend likes
to behave as an anti-TFK person, but when I sang 'close your eyes' to her she actually thought it was cute (btw : she likes Indian Summer!).
'The magic Circus of Zeb' & 'the sounds of violence' are fun tracks, but the kind of fun that should make Square Enix invest in Roine as
a worthy replacement for mr. Uematsu. ^^

I don't think the flower king & Space revolver are that challenging for a true devoted fan, but maybe they don't have to.
Many people might disagree (or maybe they haven't seen the light yet ;) ), but I'm telling you Space Revolver is one of the most
consistent albums ever and easily the number 1 album of the 2000's. :D

wowie wrote:hey Max,
are you into Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Brand X?

I thought about getting more into jazz again, I certainly have an ear for Weather Report. Mahavishnu Orchestra:
I always seemed to like 'Visions Of The Emerald Beyond' the most, but it's been a while I listened to them. Brand X... I don't remember much
of it except 'sun in the night' or something like that. :D
Max Power

Postby projeKct » 08 Sep 2013, 18:56

Thanks Wowie for this in-depth analysis !

I only tend to like BITWOA more than you, and Rainmaker less than you...
But it's OK! :)

I hope we'll both like the next album (Desolation Rose)!
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby projeKct » 08 Sep 2013, 19:53

Max Power wrote:Many people might disagree (or maybe they haven't seen the light yet ;) ), but I'm telling you Space Revolver is one of the most
consistent albums ever and easily the number 1 album of the 2000's. :D

In fact, we might agree on this!! 8-)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Björn-Ola » 09 Sep 2013, 16:39

I agree to most of Wowies opinions, except that I have listend a lot to TSONE, so obviosly, i dont find it boring.
Björn-Ola

Postby wowie » 09 Sep 2013, 17:54

PH needs more points for melody!

@projeKct

@Max
i will post my compilations for all three bands for you, if i remember this week. or you can remember me.
just working on the brand-x one, the others are already old ones.
for Mahavishnu you definitely have to go for APOCALYPSE, their most consistent one and its a, its more then one revelation!
it unfolds such a beauty and even some kind of universal beauty, and it has an extreme link to UTF/The truth.

for challenging, i go over the 70 if there are extreme and complex instrumentals going on, mostly jazz, symphonic, electronic or prog(experimental/instrumental rock.
a consistency over 85 means mostly that all of the albums song are pretty good, so the inconsistency is only left within the songs
;)

@**örn-Ola
boring was kind of .... a miss :D
and i hate those negative definitions ;)
have to add that i mainly talked about the album arrangement, not the music by itself. TFk has created some negative feelings by the listeners, noodeling, strange vocals, to much stuff in there, too long songs - but i never heard one saying they are boring.
wowie

Postby Unorthodox Dancer » 20 Sep 2013, 12:58

New to the forum, so "Hi" to all those who haven't picked up my Hello on the newcomer's board. :)

Interesting topic!

For all sorts of reasons, I normally steer clear of "Favourite" type threads. It's all so subjective anyway. But I read through the preceding pages with interest - and some surprise as well!

I first came to the band about 5 or 6 years ago, and so haven't collected their albums in release order. Rather, I've built up the collection I so far have in a much more random order. I now have BoE, PH, SWA, UFT, BITWOA, FP, SR, A&E, SONE and Retropolis.

I find it very difficult to pick a favourite as there are many that could qualify, although I do think PH would be top of the list if pressed. It's hard to make just one choice, though, when there is so much fantastic music to choose from, and so many different moods reflected.

Having said that - and this is what surprised me a bit through the thread - I do know what my LEAST favourite album is, and that by some way: Adam & Eve. :o

TBH, I struggle to find much in the way of redeeming features with it, and I personally wouldn't rate it very highly compared to other bands' material, let alone the TFK catalogue. In relative terms it just seems dull and uninspired. Even the longer tracks don't seem to hit the spot, the highspot appears to be 3.30 of Starlight Man and, for me, A Vampire's View is just dire.

So I was surprised to see A&E feature quite highly (as high as second) on people's list. :shock:

It takes all sorts to make a world, though. Good that we can have opinion and debate! :D
Unorthodox Dancer

Postby wowie » 20 Sep 2013, 15:06

well, to compare the two is a bit hard as PH is a double disc.
But for most of the songs i think the melodys on A&E are not really stronger but the playing is i think.
The most important, in relation to all other tfk albums, there are more songs that i dont like, which are not that strong, on PH then on any other tfk album. Well quite as much as on the first disc of FP.
Monsters & Men - maybe the weakest longplayer by tfk?
Jealousy (Stolt) 3:22
Lucy Had A Dream (Bodin/Stolt) 5:28
Bavarian Skies (Bodin/Stolt) 6:34
Selfconsuming Fire (Stolt) 5:49
End On A High Note (Stolt) 10:43
The Way The Waters Are Moving (Bodin/Stolt) 3:12
Paradox Hotel (Stolt/Bodin) 6:29

thats all just to straight and retro for me.

Love Soupreme/Drivers Seat/Timelines are dire and uninspired, LISTEN AGAIN!!! !!!
Cosmic Circus, Babylon are very driving and melody n genesis heaven!
Starlight man is the weakest spot on that album for me.
Blade of Cain EPIC instrumental extremely good arrangement!!!
Vampires View is a wonderfully dramatic song, extremely symphonic and extremely proggy.
Not many bands come close to the drama style of Genesis and early Marillion, tfk, ROINES MIND is one of the few things that can hold up to this!!!
This was only possible by the genius vocalwork by Gildenlöw!
So all this is a wonderful highly consistent work and not dire!!!
The title track is just one of the strongest and heaviest songs (with vocals) they have ever written and performed!!!
extremely underrated by the tfk community!!!

Love Soupreme is just one of the most eclectic /specially when it comes to the lyrics), most consistent and most powerfull prog longplayer ever written!!! :D

so, this must have been said ;)

anyway, welcome on board! :D
wowie

PreviousNext

Return to The Flower Kings