Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Whats your favorite Flower Kings record ?

The forum for discussion about the Music of The Flower Kings

Whats your favorite Flower Kings record ?

Postby bassman » 18 Jan 2011, 02:47

After hearing The Rainmaker today ,I choose it as my favorite [and I love them all]. I got really excited hearing this record again . :cool:
bassman

Re: Whats your favorite Flower Kings record ?

Postby bassman » 18 Jan 2011, 02:49

and I apologize if this topic is here already ,but I didn't see it .
bassman

Postby projeKct » 18 Jan 2011, 04:01

bassman wrote:and I apologize if this topic is here already ,but I didn't see it .

Hey, I think you're right, bassman... after all this time, we still don't have any "favorite album" thread on this board... Crazy, huh? :oops:

Now... let me think about that... It's a difficult question! :roll:
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby The Letter M » 18 Jan 2011, 06:27

Based on sheer number of times I've listened to an album, it'd have to be Paradox Hotel - I've listened to it SOOOO much, and I love pretty much EVERY song on it, and they're all really great songs. Tied for second place would have to be Stardust We Are and Unfold The Future. I obviously have a fetish for double-albums, and these three are my some of my favorites.

I know what you're thinking - what about Flower Power? Well, it just never really and fully CLICKED with me like those three have, but I still enjoy it a lot - I rank it right there with Space Revolver and the first two albums.

-Marc.
The Letter M

Postby progtastic mate » 18 Jan 2011, 17:25

I was going to say "It's got to be Flower Power as that is the one that got me hooked", but then i remembered Unfold the Future which has got the best TFK song ever on it (the truth will set you free). I think I'm going to have to give this a bit more thought and get back to you.
Don't ask me, I'm just making it up as i go along
progtastic mate

Postby wowie » 19 Jan 2011, 10:31

the next one ... LOL

from the quality/quantity balance,
UTF & Adam & Eve place on No.1
no2 Space Revolver/SWA/FP
no3 Rainmaker/Retropolis
no 4 PH
no 5 TSONE/TFK/BITWOA

imo the arrangement on A§E and the sound is so amazing!!!
Of course there are so important eclectic elements, specially on the ones on 1st and 2nd place, but A&E hold just up with all other modern rock records and this argument is not really fitting to all the other very symphonic or very jazzy ones.

I would also like to push PH on 3rd place but somehow i have the feeling that there is missing something. This album was the first tfk one were i felt some kind of inconsistency in the overall arrangement. There are wonderful songs on it, and i love them, MGS, BP, WiGiA, HMwaH, PoA and of course the wonderful Mommy leave the light on. But i dont like the longplayer and 3 other songs that much so i must, to not lower the other ones, put it on a single place 4 :(
Still i think that this album helped to develop and i dont wanna miss it!!! I hope they can fuse this new sound from the last 2 albums which brought some amazing potential for avant-garde symphonic stuff, with the power of A&E, the deep atmosphere and fusion style of UTF and all the old great great tfk symphonic-prog a l a FP/SWA/Retropolis ...

so so curious about all the new albums!!!
:D
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Chessman » 20 Jan 2011, 20:38

My choice has never been a secret and my top two remain the same as ever:

1) Flower Power
2) Unfold The Future

After that they all tend to move round a bit, but currently in third place would be Paradox Hotel, with Adam & Eve fourth and probably The Rainmaker fifth.
My two least favourites remain Space Revolver and The Sum Of No Evil, but I still enjoy both and rate them highly.

Of course, it could all change tomorrow! :lol:

Flower Power is my second favourite album of all time. Garden Of Dreams is sublime, as is Astral Dog. Disc two is equally amazing imo, with some of my very favourite FK songs on it, such as Stupid Girl, Psychedelic Postcard, Magic Pie, Painter and Calling Home. All brilliant stuff. If that album had been released in the seventies, it would have been a triple album and topped the charts for weeks, again imo. 8-)
Chessman

Postby Björn-Ola » 08 Feb 2011, 14:38

My favourite albums are Space Revolver and Sum Of No Evil.
We all have different tastes. :D

Perhaps this is the problem for The Flower Kings. After so many albums, whatever they do, there are people who want to have a different album.

"Flower Power" is the best album but I rank the albums above very high.

SoNE is probably the album I played most. So they must have done something right on this album.
Björn-Ola

Postby Chessman » 08 Feb 2011, 22:28

[quote="**örn-Ola"]My favourite albums are Space Revolver and Sum Of No Evil.
We all have different tastes. :D

Perhaps this is the problem for The Flower Kings. After so many albums, whatever they do, there are people who want to have a different album.

"Flower Power" is the best album but I rank the albums above very high.

SoNE is probably the album I played most. So they must have done something right on this album.

It just goes to show what an incredibly consistent band they are. We all have our favourites, and every album has something going for it and someone to champion it. Can't say that about many other bands can you? 8-)
Chessman

Postby Björn-Ola » 10 Feb 2011, 21:29

And how many bands can afford to put a a song like "the River" on a bonus-disc?
Björn-Ola

Postby bassman » 11 Feb 2011, 00:56

It is funny how each of us has slightly different taste . :cool:
bassman

Postby wowie » 14 Feb 2011, 10:36

i think this richness brings the people to exactly that thing. If they have open eyes, maybe they can see all those differences and enjoy them all together.
Wasnt that always a priority of prog, to fuse the great things and make em work together?

So we also experience the actual settings of priority's of all of us. And this is just great. To understand ...
Its good that one life cant reproduce or create all the beauty in the world, otherwise the journey would become a lazy train ride.

Just for some things we should care that our priority's are one and the same, or we cant set any priority's anymore.
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby Symfoon » 14 Feb 2011, 11:20

Stardust we are
"Nu is het tijd voor de eerste balade van de avond..." (J.Reingold)
Symfoon

Postby tomrobinson2468 » 16 Feb 2011, 17:54

Adam & Eve is a very good Rock Album - according to my point of view.
Spacerevolver stands outside any category as one of the best Records I have ever heard.
tomrobinson2468

Postby projeKct » 17 Feb 2011, 03:33

Yeah, I agree!

Space Revolver is so positive! So powerful! I think it's my favourite.

Stardust We Are and Adam & Eve are less consistent, but still outstanding!
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Vermin » 17 Feb 2011, 05:00

Unfold the future is my favourite. The Devil's playground is the main reason I got into TFK.
I like every TFK album pretty much, except Back in the world of adventures. It's just a mediocre prog rock album, and I "hate" the chorus of Cosmic lover.
Vermin

Postby projeKct » 17 Feb 2011, 21:19

Vermin wrote:Unfold the future is my favourite. The Devil's playground is the main reason I got into TFK.
I like every TFK album pretty much, except Back in the world of adventures. It's just a mediocre prog rock album, and I "hate" the chorus of Cosmic lover.
Hi Vermin, I agree with you about Devil's Playground being in the top 5 of TFK tracks, and Cosmic Lover being in the bottom 5! :oops:

But I must add that Unfold The Future (as an album) has less "unity" or "continuity" than Space Revolver, and that Back In The World of Adventures has really good tracks on it: Atomic Prince, Go West Judas and Train To Nowhere... and you can't say that World of Adventures and Big Puzzle are bad songs either...

8-)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Vermin » 18 Feb 2011, 16:10

I was basically judging the entire album based on just one song. Cosmic Lover is soo annoying and I don't like World of Adventures either. But Atomic Prince is actually one of the finest TFK instrumentals. "Mediocre" is definitely not the right adjective to describe the album. I need to listen to it more. However, about the older stuff, I prefer The Flower King, Stardust and especially Retropolis.
Last edited by Vermin on 19 Feb 2011, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
Vermin

Postby projeKct » 18 Feb 2011, 17:29

And I forgot to mention Theme for a Hero as another very good instrumental from this album... :roll:
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Björn-Ola » 18 Feb 2011, 19:37

Cosmic Lover?
That's my favourite song!
I must be the odd guy here.
Björn-Ola

Postby projeKct » 18 Feb 2011, 19:58

[quote="**örn-Ola"]Cosmic Lover?

Some people seems to love it, after all it's the first track on the only TFK best-of release (Road Back Home)!! :|
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Vermin » 18 Feb 2011, 21:33

projeKct wrote:And I forgot to mention Theme for a Hero as another very good instrumental from this album... :roll:

That's indeed another great instrumental. Had to mention that too, but I didn't remember the name of the song.
Vermin

Postby flowerkingsfan » 18 Feb 2011, 23:58

1. The Road Back Home- with its remixes, is a good sampling of TFK history that is highly listenable again and again.
2. Retropolis- an amazing collection of early classics.
flowerkingsfan

Postby projeKct » 19 Feb 2011, 03:53

flowerkingsfan wrote:Retropolis- an amazing collection of early classics.

In fact, I think this album is made of Stolt early (pre-TFK) compositions... hence the title Retropolis.
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby Chessman » 19 Feb 2011, 14:51

projeKct wrote:

In fact, I think this album is made of Stolt early (pre-TFK) compositions... hence the title Retropolis.

I believe you're right. I think some of the compositions go right back to the seventies. ;)
Chessman

Postby bassman » 27 Apr 2011, 03:16

Chessman wrote:
projeKct wrote:

I believe you're right. I think some of the compositions go right back to the seventies. ;)

I wonder if y'all are right about that ? , the last track seems so " Timely " I find it hard to believe this material was 70 's.
I have been cravin Retropolis lately , so this cd is fresh in my thoughts. Now I have to go research this :?
bassman

Postby Max Power » 28 Apr 2011, 22:19

I have to move towards the letter M right now, a close one between SWA and PH at the moment, quickly followed by UTF & A&E! :D

A favorite TFK album... the answer is constantly changing: and I must admit The Rainmaker is growing again on me.
Space Revolver also deserves a very unique place!
Max Power

Postby Max Power » 28 Apr 2011, 22:23

[quote="projeKct"][quote="**örn-Ola"]Cosmic Lover?

Some people seems to love it, after all it's the first track on the only TFK best-of release (Road Back Home)!! :|

Ah Cosmic Lover another one with a great beatles touch :D
Compare : 'within you without you' with this song! Great stuff! indo prog avant la lettre! :D
Cosmic Lover, I love it!
Max Power

Postby bassman » 12 Jul 2011, 03:01

I think Circus Brimstone Live is my fave live cd :cool:
bassman

Postby bassman » 02 Aug 2011, 03:24

have any of you heard it ? :cool:
bassman

Next

Return to The Flower Kings