Welcome
Welcome to The Garden Of Dreams

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Who are your Top 10 artists all-time?

General discussion about anything your heart desires

Who are your Top 10 artists all-time?

Postby miamiscot » 15 Aug 2014, 19:54

I'm really wondering what you people are into!!! Here's mine:

1) Yes
2) Genesis
3) XTC
4) Guided By Voices
5) The Flower Kings
6) Pixies
7) The Beatles
8) Gentle Giant
9) Deerhoof
10) The Clash

What's yours look like?
miamiscot

Re: Who are your Top 10 artists all-time?

Postby Chessman » 15 Aug 2014, 21:07

I've done this many times over the years, of course, and it changes now and again because new bands appear or old bands suddenly gain my interest once more. My top two remain the same but the rest vary. Nevertheless, here are my top ten as of today:

Genesis
The Flower Kings
Pendragon
Kaipa
Arena
10CC
Yes
Steve Hackett
Opeth
IQ

8-)
Chessman

Postby projeKct » 15 Aug 2014, 21:27

Oh, that's hard!

Let's try...

1) The Flower Kings (along with most of their solo projects...)
2) Genesis
3) King Crimson
4) Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)
5) White Willow
6) Pain of Salvation
7) Gentle Giant
8) Steve Hackett
9) The Tangent
10) Motorpsycho

Hmmm... there are others... so here they are anyway!

11) Harmonium
12) Jaga Jazzist
13) Frost
14) Haken
15) Steely Dan
16) Feist
17) Agents of Mercy
18) Estradasphere
19) Hiromi
20) Caligula's Horse

:)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 15 Aug 2014, 23:03

The Flower Kings would be my #1.

Some (if not all) of the most likely candidates for the rest of my Top 10 are among the following (in alphabetical order):

Big Big Train
Camel
Caravan
Cardiacs
Genesis
Gentle Giant
Steve Hackett
Hatfield and the North
IQ
Magazine
Nektar
Soft Machine
Spock's Beard
Stackridge
The Strawbs
Wigwam
XTC
Yes

E&OE

(On second thoughts, I think that's just the Top 5. To cover the entire Top 10 would require a further set of names (approximately 78), but I am merciful enough to save you from that.)
Serious dreamers always can afford the dreaming
NotSteven

Postby Chessman » 16 Aug 2014, 21:42

NotSteven wrote:The Flower Kings would be my #1.

Some (if not all) of the most likely candidates for the rest of my Top 10 are among the following (in alphabetical order):

Big Big Train
Camel
Caravan
Cardiacs
Genesis
Gentle Giant
Steve Hackett
Hatfield and the North
IQ
Magazine
Nektar
Soft Machine
Spock's Beard
Stackridge
The Strawbs
Wigwam
XTC
Yes

E&OE

(On second thoughts, I think that's just the Top 5. To cover the entire Top 10 would require a further set of names (approximately 78), but I am merciful enough to save you from that.)

You missed out 10CC and the Eagles................. ;)
Chessman

Postby NotSteven » 16 Aug 2014, 22:21

Chessman wrote:You missed out 10CC and the Eagles................. ;)

Well spotted! Would you believe if I said I did that deliberately to see whether anyone bothers to go through my list - why else would I leave them out, considering all the praise I have heaped upon both during my membership of this esteemed forum?
NotSteven

Postby projeKct » 16 Aug 2014, 22:43

NotSteven... we have only 4 artists in common in our respective tops. I think you and I have some homeworks to do! ;)

From your list, there are some artists that I know but still don't appreciate as much as you do:
Big Big Train
Camel
Caravan
Hatfield and the North
IQ
The Strawbs
Yes

And the rest... I just don't know... so here are my "homeworks":
Cardiacs
Magazine
Nektar
Soft Machine
Stackridge
Wigwam
XTC
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 16 Aug 2014, 23:22

projeKct wrote:NotSteven... we have only 4 artists in common in our respective tops. I think you and I have some homeworks to do! ;)

Let's see...

3) King Crimson - they're brilliant, really, and I probably should have included them; my only 'problem' with Crimson is that in my view their 1973-74 output tends to (unjustly) overshadow everything else they did - by the way, their current line-up seems truly interesting (too bad they'll only be touring the US)
4) Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) - I love them, too, I should expect them to bubble very strongly under my Top 10
5) White Willow - not very far from the top either
6) Pain of Salvation - I like them, but I don't love them
9) The Tangent - 'bubbling under' maybe even stronger than PFM, they would surely have shown up on my 'extended Top 10' (see my original post)
10) Motorpsycho - now I've got my dunce cap on, don't know them at all
11) Harmonium - I've heard two of their albums, both very good, but so different from each other that I don't think I know well enough what they're about to really appreciate the group; however, they are definitely on my French Canadian Top 10, somewhere behind Miriodor, Mystery and Maneige who are my biggest FC favourites (Curiously enough, all my top Canadian bands have names which begin with the letter 'M' - Maneige, Max Webster, Mind Gallery, Miriodor, Mystery)
12) Jaga Jazzist - I have heard of them but never heard them; seems to be an interesting group I really should check out
13) Frost - I like them, they're very good; after a few more years (for me) and a couple more albums (for them) they could well turn out to be contenders
14) Haken - see PoS
15) Steely Dan - they're fantastic, of course, I could well have included them on my list - I really don't know why I didn't
16) Feist - see Motorpsycho
17) Agents of Mercy - I deliberately tried to avoid filling my Top 10 with TFK related artists, so AoM were victims of my just-one-of-Roine's-projects-allowed policy
18) Estradasphere -
19) Hiromi -
20) Caligula's Horse - as for this threesome, I very definitely do need to do my homework, because I don't know them at all (I remember having seen them mentioned on this forum, though)
NotSteven

Postby miamiscot » 18 Aug 2014, 00:39

Awesome! This really gives me a lot to look at and delve into. Obviously, anyone posting here has similar taste to mine so, though uber subjective, your input means a great deal to me. I promise I will investigate every single artist listed that I am not familiar with and report back. And there are others that I need to spend additional time with (e.g. - Caravan, Hatfield & the North) to make sure I give them a fair shake.

I'm a little surprised no one listed ELP or Pink Floyd. Though obvious choices, I would rank them #11 and #12 on my list.

And I got a second on XTC!!! That makes me VERY happy.

More, more, a want more!!! Just your very favorite artists of all time. Top 10 stuff.

(How good is/was Kaipa? All I have is their 1975 debut and, to be honest, it didn't really do it for me.)
miamiscot

Postby Max Power » 19 Aug 2014, 17:07

These kind of lists and topics fill me with joy, although I try not to think of all the bands I'll forget in this post
I came up with a top 10 (ordered alphabetically) for the 3 genres I listen most to;

Progressive Rock:
1)Big Big Train
2)Caravan
3)The Flower Kings
4)Genesis
5)Gentle Giant
6)King Crimson
7)Magma
8)Premiata Forneria Marconi
9)Van Der Graaf Generator/ Peter Hammill
10)Yes

Rock/Indie:
1)The Beatles
2)David Bowie
3)Kate Bush
4)Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
5)Bob Dylan
6)Jimi Hendrix
7)Joy Division
8)The Rolling Stones
9)Tom Waits
10)Neil Young

Metal:
1)Black Sabbath
2)Bolt thrower
3)Burzum
4)Demilich
5)Demoncy
6)Graveland/ Lord Wind
7)Massacra
8)Morbid Angel
9)Sacramentum
10)Slayer

Please be gentle to me for not having a Jazz list (yet!).
Max Power

Postby projeKct » 19 Aug 2014, 17:31

Nice idea to separate the genres, Max Power!
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 19 Aug 2014, 17:58

Max's metal list fills me with utter dread (as per usual) - a total of nine bands I know nothing of. Well, at least I'm familiar with his #1 (and I've heard the name of #10 before).
NotSteven

Postby Max Power » 19 Aug 2014, 19:15

From the stuff that has been mentioned before this release really stood out for me:
Motorpsycho - the death defying unicorn

Wow! Are all releases like that?

Funny to see Jaga Jazzist here: I just got 3 cd's for free : 'A livingroom hush' being the Jaga album, the others are Ancient Rites and Joni Mitchell.
Max Power

Postby projeKct » 19 Aug 2014, 23:06

Max Power wrote:From the stuff that has been mentioned before this release really stood out for me:
Motorpsycho - the death defying unicorn

Wow! Are all releases like that?

No. All releases are very different! But it doesn't mean that they are inferior. In fact I think it's the opposite.

The best Motorpsycho albums are (IMO) :

Trust Us (1998)
Phanerothyme (2001)
Black Hole / Blank Canvas (2006)
Heavy Metal Fruit (2010)
The Death Defying Unicorn (2012)
Behind the Sun (2014)

The funny thing with Motorpsycho is that they evolve a lot with time. They are good in all genres: alternative rock, country rock, psychedelic rock, progressive rock, ambient, pop...

And I LOVE their vocals (very intense) and the bass sound (so heavy!)

So... go for it, explore their discography, and be surprised!! ;)

Max Power wrote:Funny to see Jaga Jazzist here: I just got 3 cd's for free : 'A livingroom hush' being the Jaga album, the others are Ancient Rites and Joni Mitchell.

A Livingroom Hush is a very good starting point to discover Jaga Jazzist.

One-Armed Bandit (2010) is also very good, and more in a "progressive jazz-rock" vein, if such a thing exists... :roll:

By the way, Motorpsycho has done an album with Jaga Jazzist in 2003: In the Fishtank. It's weird, but has some gems on it! These gems are: Pills, Powders and Passion Plays (a Motorpsycho cover, or new version if you prefer) and Theme de Yoyo.
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby NotSteven » 20 Aug 2014, 20:44

Of course, Max's post (from that non-existing country Belgium) reminds me that I forgot to include Univers Zero on my list - the greatest Belgian band I have ever heard. Quite unforgivable! Thank you, Max!
NotSteven

Postby wowie » 21 Aug 2014, 15:45

@NotSteven
lol

okay first of all, cant believe no one mentioned ZAPPA .... and Pink Floyd yes, thats also surprising.
And only (some)one mentioned Spocks Beard...
im also (but with some kind of expectation :D ) suprised that there is some kind of dynamic here isnt it ... maybe just a bit but ....

second, here are the bands i need to check out
10cc (more of it), Magazine, Cardiacs, Stackridge, Guided by Voices, XTC (again)

one word to King Crimson, their 70 works surpass their new stuff, anyway, they are still in the TOP! Like Genesis! Like Zappa, like Pink Floyd, like Weather Report i mean 9 of X of my TOP artists are pre 80s. For Metheny i say hes fresh as THE WAY UP counts here.
its like Aristoteles or Rousseau and the top ten of philosophers ;)
btw
you also have to say that some of KCs new stuff (some songs and the arrangement of PtB or TCoL are awesome and up to date hi def prog, even surpasses 90% of all other prog stuff, like the tfk stuff (80%) ... also the Jakszyk collaborations are very good) is very very good! Unlike some other old bands mentioned....

so lets think .... .... ....
Genesis (just not from this world, best blend of rock, jazz, symphonic, fx/synth/electro...best melodys, best rhythms, best tones .... just the best . )
The Flower Kings/Karmakanic (some stuff! most eclectic stuff you can get!)
Frank Zappa (some stuff! amazing melodyy and rhythms in new and old forms .... just some of the most amazing stuff around)
King Crimson (still the best prediction of the 21st century ... still just a few are able to realize this fusion)
Pink Floyd (just like King Crimson, less symphonic and avant ... but much more epic and beautiful)
Weather Report (the most creative, lyrical and powewrful jazz i know)
Jade Warrior (this is like a dream, some of the most chilling, lyrical and symphonic prog and ambient there is)
John Barry (you dont understand? you just need the entire James Bond catalog by him)
The Beatles (you wont believe it but they wrote the most and some of the best love songs you will find ... my early love Nr1!)
CSN(Y) (some of the most sensitive and beautiful song material i know)
Pat Metheny (THE WAY UP - a miracle of jazz, symphonic .... some of the best fusion atm)
Thomas Newman (THE HORSEWHISPERER - still my fave OST)
Debussy (still my fave symphonic guy)
Mahavishnu Orchestra (still the most epic fusion you can get)

some actual top artists
Eyvind Kang (eclectic genius)
Jack O the Clock (very avant stuff, a lot of different styles, great melodys &&& .... some of the best i have to offer atm)
Hanne Hukkelberg (shes amazing, oh oh oh, shes amazing!)
Angela Tröndle (and shes amazing too, etremely lyrical jazz stuff shes able to do)
Mum (maybe the best fusion of analog and digital atm, but this is ready to be overcome)
Justin Vernon (hes just amazing and every band hes workin in does a wonderful job!)
Melody Gardot (maybe the "hottest" singer atm)
Annuals/SUNFOLD (may fave rock/indie band atm, tremendous OUTSTANDING BLEND OF ROCK N JAZZ)
Broken Social Scene (best indie band atm)
Zero 7 (this is something very special, a mix of pop, electro, soul, new wave and and and ... very popular stuff ... you could also say, besides AIR their are the kings of chill out)
The Stepkids (very fresh band, doing some mix of jazz, rock, soul, electro .... very curious how they will develop)
Build An Ark (some of the best jazz atm)
Yoko Kanno (amazing conducter in japan, doing lots of stuff for television, if you want to check her out, go get the COWBOY BEBOP OST)

but there are a lot of great new bands coming up these days .... the problem is of course, that just a few can survive longer then 1 - 3 albums and also develop their style .... you have of course great developments in the electronic section .... dont forget that
Eyvind Kang is one of the few guys i know who are able to fuse all of it .... but as i said, there are coming more n more very suprising acts!!!
Acts which are able to combine the retro stuff of the past 70s, the 80s synth and electro movement up to now and the new rhythm stuff you find also in jazz, dNb, indie etc and of course the symphonic stuff and and and .... like Plini for example but they are still very metal at times.
But just yesterday i listened to a very fine album .... forgot the name .... arrrrrrrr
will post later....

some more thoughts
i think its very very important to combine MELODY and COMPLEXITY. Besides or including whats fits you as subject n person the most.
So its really hard to say WHO does his job here very good.
Thomas Newman or John Barry for example did a lot of OSts and they produced massive melodys and their stuff is also pretty hard to compose i think.
Marillion are also pretty good here.... well some are .....
Some just need one album to get into the top ten, like Metheny for example. Joni Mitchell is also close with PAPRIKA PLAINS (2 Weather Report members on board).
Well well well .... this is a tricky statistic.

I just highly recommend VIRGINAL CO-ORDINATES by EYVIND KANG, awesome and highly progressive work!!! That means, if you dont listen to the whole, you dont get it. ;) But there is just a little rock structure in here (at the very far end), mostly symphonic, folk n ambient.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnZaXLRlqFI
Last edited by wowie on 21 Aug 2014, 16:38, edited 6 times in total.
“I would rather be a man of paradoxes than a man of prejudices.” - IDIC
wowie

Postby NotSteven » 21 Aug 2014, 16:12

wowie wrote:Jade Warrior

Nice one, wowie - should probably have made my list, too...
NotSteven

Postby miamiscot » 25 Aug 2014, 18:24

wowie said Broken Social Scene.

What an excellent call. So great. If into good indie you should look into These New Puritans and The Most Serene Republic. Two very cool prog-tinged india bands.
miamiscot

Postby projeKct » 25 Aug 2014, 23:10

miamiscot wrote:Two very cool prog-tinged india bands.

;)
projeKct
Site Admin

Postby progtastic mate » 26 Aug 2014, 11:43

Rush
Dream Theater
Flower Kings
Spock's Beard
Transatlantic
Porcupine Tree
Led Zeppelin
ELO (re-entry after many years)
UFO (fairly New entry)
Black Sabbath
Don't ask me, I'm just making it up as i go along
progtastic mate

Postby wowie » 26 Aug 2014, 17:24

@miamiscot
great thanks i will do!
if you have more of such stuff, just post it.
maybe we should do some thread for such acts.... indie thread or so .... hmmmm ... or 4th wave prog :D
wowie

Postby miamiscot » 27 Aug 2014, 21:59

wowie wrote:@miamiscot
great thanks i will do!
if you have more of such stuff, just post it.
maybe we should do some thread for such acts.... indie thread or so .... hmmmm ... or 4th wave prog :D

I split my time evenly between indie and prog so an indie thread is right in my wheelhouse!!!
miamiscot

Postby wowie » 28 Aug 2014, 15:04

:D great, .... freu freu freu!!!
wowie

Postby miamiscot » 21 Sep 2014, 01:02

projeKct wrote:
miamiscot wrote:Two very cool prog-tinged india bands.

;)

Indeed. Never been to India but I've heard it's nice.
miamiscot

Postby flowerkingsfan » 01 Oct 2014, 17:25

My top dozen:

1. The Beatles
2. Brand X
3. Dixie Dregs
4. Eric Johnson
5. The Flower Kings
6. Genesis
7. Gentle Giant
8. Jan Hammer
9. Jimi Hendrix
10. Spock's Beard